PDA

View Full Version : Questions on shock setup.

cheetah
09-17-2003, 06:11 PM
As you can see in my sig, I have Elkas all around on my 400. The fronts always felt a little soft for jumps so I would use my compression knob a few turns no big deal. A while back I was reading that big proper shock setup thread that pappy started and I thought it would be a good idea to tune everything up. The front and rear was a pretty good piece off and when I got everything dialed in as far as ride height and sag, I noticed my shocks felt considerably better, but I never have felt quite satisfied with them. I feel they made them a lot stiffer. I have the compression as soft as it will go and it still just beats me to death. I got on my cousin's banshee and I honestly felt they were softer. I'm not very knowledgable on shocks in the least as far as how all the adjustments work together. I got the ride height where it needs to be as stated by Jeff@Quadshop and others in that thread. I have heard of many complaints of too stiff of main springs and getting softer ones, but I'm doubting that is the problem. Any suggestions on adjustments?

09-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Have you adjusted the preload at all??? It makes a huge difference in how the front reacts...:scary:

cheetah
09-17-2003, 07:59 PM
It was my understanding that adjusting the preload was what changed the ride height. Do I have this wrong?

4TraxRider
09-18-2003, 09:43 AM
It can, but it makes the spring rates softer or stronger. The less compression and more stiff you have the sprin, the more plush it will feel, to a certain point. Try tightening the pre-load rings a little bit, and backing off the compression adjusters a little.

09-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
It can, but it makes the spring rates softer or stronger. The less compression and more stiff you have the sprin, the more plush it will feel, to a certain point. Try tightening the pre-load rings a little bit, and backing off the compression adjusters a little.

;) exactly.. when i go from riding in the trails to ridin a mx track i adjust my preload like 4 full turns out...

cheetah
09-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Okay I think I'm getting what your saying. Right now my compression is as soft as it will go. So your saying I should tighten down on the preload ring and even it out with compression adjustments?

4TraxRider
09-19-2003, 06:01 AM
Tighten down the preload rings, and take a ride on them. If your bottoming out, crank up the compression a little until you stop.