PDA

View Full Version : skid plate problems

jason69blair
09-17-2003, 06:09 PM
i put a moose skid plate on my new 2003 300ex and it keeps making a raddling sound every time you rev it wide open and if you open it up in a gear. and it is very annoying i was wandering if any one had any ideas on what to do with it

CHAUNCY
09-17-2003, 06:10 PM
I have heard that if you put weather stripping on it the rattling will stop. I have not tried it yet but have heard it solves the problem:)

jason69blair
09-17-2003, 06:34 PM
ive put 1/4inch weather stripping on it and it just quieted the rattiling a little bit but it still rattels.

lil400exman
09-17-2003, 06:58 PM
uhh try puttin washers on the mounting tabs for a tighter fit so no rattling will occur it worked on my 400ex.....and weatherstripping too..........;)

foxhonda_400ex
09-17-2003, 11:26 PM
Try silicone sealent, it will stick better than the weather striping and hold up better over time. it will also conform to fit into tight spots where maybe the weatherstrip can't reach ands till causeing rattles. just my 2 pennys.

lil400exman
09-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by foxhonda_400ex
Try silicone sealent, it will stick better than the weather striping and hold up better over time. it will also conform to fit into tight spots where maybe the weatherstrip can't reach ands till causeing rattles. just my 2 pennys.
lol good protectant against scratches too so if ya pc ur frame and want it to look good lay tat silicone on! i also reccomend a lil loctite on that sutff sonce it might wanna rattle loose1:)

K_Fulk
09-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Swingarm skid or frame skid? On my frame skid i went to a truck accesorie shop and got some of the stuff they put between caps and beds , and laid it on the skid plate where the frame touched it.

Notu400ex
09-20-2003, 09:26 PM
The first thing to check is your exhaust. Have someone put their foot against it while you rev. Check the bolts closely on the exhaust portion to see if they are loose. I often find that this is the part that rattles uncontrollably on a 400ex when others think it is the skidplate.

Second, remove your skidplate and start your bike. Is it really the skidplate rattling? If so,

Use7/16" thick weatherstripping foam that is 1/2" wide.

Use a degreaser like prep-sol on your frame so the weatherstripping will stick. Coat every part of your frame where the skidplate will rest. You may need to use c-clamps to help you install the bolts (squeezing the skidplate against the foam so it compresses).

This should fix it.

Good luck.

Badger_Skid
09-22-2003, 11:40 AM
If it's the frame belly pan making noise, first take the belly pan off and look at ther welds on the frame, file or grind the weld smooth flush with the bottom of the frame rails. Don't get too carried away. These welds which push the belly pan away from the frame is the major cause of noise. Install truck cap weatherstrip and make sure bolts are tight, our clamps move the bolts to the center to help to make a better seal.

If it's the swing skid, take it off the bike and wash it very good with soap and water and install a clear silicon wherever they welded the thing. A good welder can also weld it back together where the weld have gotten loose.

Aluminum skids are terrible for making noise. The quality of the welds is of major importance to our skids, and this is another reason stainless is the way to go.

Good Luck,
Deric Herrmann
Badger Racing Products
dherrmann@fuse.net

09-22-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Badger_Skid
If it's the frame belly pan making noise, first take the belly pan off and look at ther welds on the frame, file or grind the weld smooth flush with the bottom of the frame rails. Don't get too carried away. These welds which push the belly pan away from the frame is the major cause of noise. Install truck cap weatherstrip and make sure bolts are tight, our clamps move the bolts to the center to help to make a better seal.

If it's the swing skid, take it off the bike and wash it very good with soap and water and install a clear silicon wherever they welded the thing. A good welder can also weld it back together where the weld have gotten loose.

Aluminum skids are terrible for making noise. The quality of the welds is of major importance to our skids, and this is another reason stainless is the way to go.

Good Luck,
Deric Herrmann
Badger Racing Products
dherrmann@fuse.net

I seen your small setup at the GNCC this weekend and noticed how skinny your skids were. Now I know why if there stainless...:cool:

Badger_Skid
09-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Thanks, you should have stopped by and said hello......

Deric

Doibugu2
09-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Badger_Skid
Thanks, you should have stopped by and said hello......

Deric

Rico is shy and kind of reserved!

yea right!:eek:

coryatver
09-22-2003, 09:04 PM
How much of a difference is the wieght between aluminum and stainless?