PDA

View Full Version : New clutch lever???????????

ewalker302
09-17-2003, 04:31 PM
I have a block off plate on the way.

Can I modify the stock perch to get rid of the extra junk??

What other bikes clutch lever & perch are compatable (works good) w 400ex?

Or what aftermarket brands are good value???

I know Harlan just did a review & it seemeed like everybody had a different opinion.

I would like to know what other setups you guys are using on your 400ex. (not interested in hydraulic)

If you have any tips, thanks in advance...

:bandit:

carlj75
09-17-2003, 04:49 PM
I have gone through a few different set-ups. I tried the MSR Raptor perch and lever and didn't like it at all. My favorite now is the CR style perch and lever. It's very cheap from the Honda dealer and it works good.

KAWSAM62
09-17-2003, 07:03 PM
call the quad shop and tell them you want to convert to a cr type clutch lever! might cost all of 22.00 or so and works great and is priced right!:D :D

09-17-2003, 07:38 PM
go read the RTC review Harlen wrote... I've got a CR250 perch and lever and yes its' better than stock and doesn't cost much. But i'm bettin the rtc is gonna be that much better. And with a 8 plate clutch and heavier springs any little bit helps.....:macho

JOEX
09-17-2003, 08:52 PM
I put on a Magnum ez-pull, about $25 I think. I tend to use the clutch alot when trail riding and it seems to work fine. I've also tipped it over a couple of times with no breakage but I think the hand guards helped.

I think you can just remove the cable but the rest of the junk will stay if keep the stock unit. But then again, anything can be modified:D

Joe

ewalker302
09-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Rico
go read the RTC review Harlen wrote... I've got a CR250 perch and lever and yes its' better than stock and doesn't cost much. But i'm bettin the rtc is gonna be that much better. And with a 8 plate clutch and heavier springs any little bit helps.....:macho

Yeah, I read that review, thats what got me motivated to start this thread.
Now I dont't know for sure, but the reviewed products are given to the site 4 proj bike 4 free "advert" (right)????

Certainly not to bash the process, project bike is sweet.
& I got a stock clutch, springs & all that.

So, I don't care about it being whatever % they say it's easier to pull, haven't ever thought the stocker was 2 stiff at all.

But, there were 2 many neg responses (rtc) for a free product review, we need sponsorship 2 do stuff, but I'm not buying something I'm not sure about.

This is just because of all the other members reporting problems with rtc breakage.(sorry)

If the CR250 perch & lever fit's right & is better than stock w/o the ebrake stuff, then thats what i'm gettin.

Don't want to step on any toes really I don't.

But I think im gonna order a CR250 clutch perch & lever from service Honda, unless somebody can tell me something better 2 do, or a cheaper place to get 1.

Sure as hell not going to my Honda dealer.

Man they piss me off.
Any idiot knows what parts should cost & these jerkwads want to charge 6 bucks & change for a stinking oil filter that I buy off dennis kirk for 2.75 & they (DK) still gotta be making something.

I visit my honda dealer only 4 extreme emergencys or if I need a part # so I can order it from service.

Thanks guys. Sorry 4 the rant.
But if you buy parts at the dealer please stop.

They are rip off artists big time (Service Honda 30 % less at least)
+ 99% of the time these jerks don't give a damn about your bike, just how big a mark up they can get away with.

Did I get off subject, sorry

Pappy
09-18-2003, 05:58 AM
you guys crack me up. a product review doesnt mean you have to purchase that product its only a rewview. and since i personally know the levers have been run on harlens quads for many years id say he gave a pretty honest opinion of the product.

as far as if there is a difference in the levers? there sure is. ride all day with a stock lever and then with almost any good aftermarket lever and you will feel the difference.

as far as levers breaking? there are a few variable that lead to parts breakage...wrecking being #1. if the review had responses that the part wears out too fast or doesnt hold up to "expected" uses " then id be right beside ya pissin and moaning

Pappy
09-18-2003, 06:00 AM
and for reference....i paid full price for my set.

09-18-2003, 06:57 AM
i paid full price too.. I never read that someones RTC broke because they were so strong that they snapped the mofo off pulling it in. The best levers made are gonna break in a roll over just as the cheapest. I"m gonna break out the flag reguarding those that said the rtc was too easy to break...http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/bsflag.gif

PS. i haven't broke a break or clutch lever in the last 7 years..

PHIL_B54
09-18-2003, 07:07 AM
i have a cr lever and a block off on mine and it worked just fine.

ewalker302
09-18-2003, 07:35 AM
I apologize

just talked w/harlan & he paid 4 the lever not a freebe.

Still thing I'm gonna get sonethin else tho.

Didn't want this thread to be all about the RTC.

Just wanted to know of other alternatives that people use & work good.

Unless I hear some different stuff I'm still leanin towards a cr perch & lever.

YLW400
09-18-2003, 07:44 AM
I too am running the RTC clutch and brake. Not that stock was hard to pull back or anything, but it does get tiring in a 15 or 20 minute moto, and I cna only imagine what it's like on a GNCC. Mine has worked flawlessly. I would buy it again if I rolled and broke it..