PDA

View Full Version : FCR stuck Throttle?

Waynes400ex
09-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Has anyone every heard of the 39mm fcr with a thumb throttle having the throttle stick wide open? Someone who sells them told me this but i wasnt sure if they told me cause they dont sell a thumb throttle cable for it? Any info is helful guys thanks!!

H440exconfused
09-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Mine stuck on me several times last weekend, I just chaulked it up to maybe a bad cable, I use a thumb throttle, but thought i just had a bad cable, so I ordered a new one, after you made this post I am not sure now. Scared the crap out of me though, cause when it stuck I was in some real tight trails, with lots of trees and turns. I hope someone answers this post with some good info.

Waynes400ex
09-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Yeah I guess that is why some people doesn't sell them with a thumb cable anymore! I heard this today and it was the first time I heard of it. I'am not worried about it getting stuck on me but more my g/f when we are at Glamis. Hey was your carb new when you got it? What cable are you running? I heard Balwin also sells a cable for it. I have heard the carb adds alot of performance though? But i dont want to run a twist throttle!!!

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-17-2003, 02:21 PM
We sell the cable for that carb and just an FYI due to the throttle linkage on the carb being exposed you should lube the cable and the linkage once in a while..

Waynes400ex
09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
So if maintenanced correctly it should not stick ?

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-17-2003, 02:28 PM
Correct :D

H440exconfused
09-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
We sell the cable for that carb and just an FYI due to the throttle linkage on the carb being exposed you should lube the cable and the linkage once in a while..

Where wxactly do you lube it at???

I know motion pro makes a throttle cable and its really super long, you have to route it very creative, you can also use a honda forman 4x4 throttle cable, its a little shorter than the motion pro, mi dont know of any others, I use the forman cable.

I did really wake up my 440, but I am having trouble getting it set on the low end.

Do you know if the screw in the front bottom of the bowl is a fuel screw or and air screw, does turning it in richen low end or lean low end??

Waynes400ex
09-17-2003, 02:36 PM
I have no idea on your settings!! Sorry But i'm going to do a 440 stroker. I was going to use the carb also. Where did you get yours? Cost? But i'm not so sure i want it to get stuck open all the time and i know i dont want to run a twist throttle!!

H440exconfused
09-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Waynes400ex
I have no idea on your settings!! Sorry But i'm going to do a 440 stroker. I was going to use the carb also. Where did you get yours? Cost? But i'm not so sure i want it to get stuck open all the time and i know i dont want to run a twist throttle!!

I dont need someone to tell me what the settings are, I just would like to know exactly what that srew controls, I dont know if its air of fuel, if its fuel, out would be rich and in would be lean, but if its air, out would be lean, and in would be rich, I just dont know, someone please advise.

I had a local place do my 440, but is not a stroker, I want atleast some reliability, and thats hard with a stroker. My entire package cost me with labor, parts, and machining, right at $ 1000.00.

Waynes400ex
09-17-2003, 03:14 PM
No reliability with a stroker? I have heard they are more reliable than a straight bore 440. It will be bored to 415cc when stroked it is a 440. So it shouldnt get as hot as a straight bore 440 right? Also i will be getting a heavy duty rod, powroll told me it will be as reliable if not more so than a stock 400ex

86atc250r
09-17-2003, 03:54 PM
I've run a thumb throttle on my FCR for several years not with never a hint of sticking. I do maintenance my stuff & keep good cables on the machine though...

Waynes400ex
09-17-2003, 03:57 PM
86act what do you think about the stroker with hevay duty rod vs. straight bored 440? what will be more reliable?

H440exconfused
09-17-2003, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by H440exconfused
[B]I dont need someone to tell me what the settings are, I just would like to know exactly what that srew controls, I dont know if its air of fuel, if its fuel, out would be rich and in would be lean, but if its air, out would be lean, and in would be rich, I just dont know, someone please advise.

Bump

nhbanshee
09-17-2003, 05:30 PM
The screw in front of the bowl is a FUEL screw. Turning it in leans it, turning it out richens it.

86atc250r
09-17-2003, 07:06 PM
I don't think you'll see any reliability problems at all with a 440 stroker --- The 87mm bore will allow you to keep the stock sleeve, I've been running that bore for several years with no trouble.

The problem with most bore only "440's" is that people don't go to the extra effort to bore the cases and use a straight sleeve. Also the heavier 89mm piston makes stock rod breakage more likely under high RPMs.

The stock rod is many times the first point of failure in a modified engine, if you're replacing it, I'd think you'd have a pretty solid engine going the route you're persuing.

Waynes400ex
09-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Is the fcr that is on the yfz the same exact carb that is on the yzf? Is so, can you just run the cable that come on the new yfz? If you have a problem with it getting stuck cant you just buy a yfz thumbs throttle and run it ?

Waynes400ex
09-19-2003, 12:01 PM
I guess nobody knows?

ott
09-19-2003, 12:55 PM
I had bought a new 41fcr and it came with the foreman cable. When I was putting it on my machine , I had played with the thumb throttle and it stuck open.

It wasn't the cable or the thumb, but when you look at where the cable attaches to the carb , the cam has a "positive stop" that hits a sharp pin on the side at full throttle.

On mine out of the box the flat part that is supposed to hit this was glancing off of it and binding the cam.
Also keep in mind the Fcr only uses 3/4 of the stock movement range on the thumb throttle.

I just bent it back to align it correctly. Haven't had a problem since.

And thanked god i saw the problem before the machine was even started.

JD400exrider
09-19-2003, 11:40 PM
have had no problem with sticking wide open. Run the motion pro cable. Bought the carb and cable from C&D. My only complaint is the cable is quite a bit longer than stock. Be creative on how you install and should be fine.

On adjusting that fuel screw. Order one of those billet screws from C&D and it will be a whole lot easier for fine tuning. ;)
That carb makes a whole lot of difference on throttle responce and power.

Good Luck

Waynes400ex
09-20-2003, 01:20 AM
Jd400ex I'm planning on running your exact motor setup! How does it compare to stop, powerwise, i was worried about doing a 416 cause i weigh about 190lbs. Is there anything you would do diff? How much did you get your hrc cam for ?

Dave400ex
09-20-2003, 07:53 AM
OTT can you get some pictures of where your talking about?