PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting racing harescrambles.

tryken
09-17-2003, 09:59 AM
What kind of advice do you have for someone who is thinking about starting racing harescrambles. What should I buy for my quad. I have some +2 a-arms I can put on (just need brakelines). I guess tires would be a good start from there.

250EXstud
09-18-2003, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't put the a arms on, but ya tires, Skid, and thats all you really need other stuff will help though. I just about to finsih my first season in harescrambles.

Braff1
09-18-2003, 08:15 PM
First, wide is not good when you are trying to weave in and out of trees. The stock with is good. Tires are oK. My first recommendation would be to upgrade the suspension. Even something as works shocks will help. Then just race. Nothing replaces seat time. I have seen more bone stock 400 ex compete with even the baddest 250r.

exman
09-18-2003, 09:48 PM
1. seat time, ride ride ride ride ride ride and more ride

2. good tires

3. good skids

4. suspension

PATTE440
09-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Yeah stick with the stock a-arms. There is a few things you can do. You dont need a lot of motor work. i would deff get skids and tires. i run 23" XCT on front and 22"xct on rear. they will give you great traction in most conditions and more ground clearenc. Skids would be very nice because you never know what you gonna NOT see on the trial. and Suspension will make a huge help. and always remember "To finish first...First you have to finish" GOOD LUCK

Ryan
09-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Yeah, keep the stock width. But you could use the +2 a-arms and buy 4-1 offset rims. That will bring the width out +1 inch, which is what some pro racers run.

As for skids, I recommend PRM. I have heard nothing but good things about their products. They also make nice, large bumpers which can also be very helpful when it comes to tree's and bottlenecks :macho .

The stock 400ex suspension will probably beat the hell out of you. But it depends how much money your willing to shell out for good shocks. If your on a tight budget, get Works with rezzies or Elka's without rezzies. If money isn't a problem, go with Axis!

ILGNCC400EX
09-29-2003, 07:30 PM
If the guy standin there has a beer and a viedo camera DO NOT go da way he is pointing!!!!!!! :devil:

gncc400exxx
09-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
If the guy standin there has a beer and a viedo camera DO NOT go da way he is pointing!!!!!!! :devil:

^^Best advice that can be givin. ^^ especially at the Ironman .

Also a good set of bark busters are nice, the ones with the big plastic spoilers are the best ,they keep your hands from getting tore up in the nasty stuff and they help keep some of the mud and water off your hands and grips.

cdalejef
09-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
If the guy standin there has a beer and a viedo camera DO NOT go da way he is pointing!!!!!!! :devil: Because its probably Rico :huh

Wingnut
09-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by gncc400exxx
^^Best advice that can be givin. ^^ especially at the Ironman .

Got you too, huh?

gncc400exxx
10-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Wingnut
Got you too, huh?

got the guy ahead of me :D

MotoXC33
10-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Good Tires are a must for hills especially when wet. Skids are a must to protect your bike. I would definetly go with Suspension mods before engine mods. You can ride faster than your body will take gettin thumped around, So upgrade your Suspension then that will leave cusion for the engine mods. Bark busters are nice to have in XC. I'm still workin on my setup, I'm gettin nerfs and a steering stabilzer for sure, also front beadlocks. Good luck....