View Full Version : 400EX aftermarket rear linkage?

remlapr
09-16-2003, 08:27 PM
I know it is a popular mod on the Z's to get an after market rear linkage that helps lower the quad and also increase travel I believe when combined with a aftermarket rear that is setup for the different linkage. Would this apply to the 400EX? I've heard of alot of people going with the +1.25 swinger but not a aftermarket linkage on the 400ex??

nacs400ex
09-16-2003, 08:39 PM
I have one for the R havent gotten to use it yet, I think its a good idea, but I dont know if it would really increase travel.

Dave400ex
09-16-2003, 08:54 PM
John Arens told me they were using the CRF450 linkage on the frame he is building. I'm not sure what differences it makes though.

Pappy
09-16-2003, 09:01 PM
i dont knwo if i can say the manufacture...but they are supposedly releasing a new rear LT shock and linkage for the 400ex

Dave400ex
09-16-2003, 09:11 PM
I'm glad they wait until Honda has a new quad out to release nice stuff for the 400ex.

lil400exman
09-16-2003, 09:15 PM
hey nacs what new rear linkage are u talkin about? i might have to get in on this man......:)

bleupoud
09-17-2003, 06:36 AM
elka make one for the 400ex and the raptor . check on ther web site. http://www.elkasuspension.com/english/products.html

Pappy
09-17-2003, 06:45 AM
sweet i geuss its official now:p

are the linkage and shock a combo or if you already have an elka rear shock can you just order the new linkage for a 400ex?

09-17-2003, 07:43 AM
Looks like it requires a different shock than the standard dual rate like I have...:(

1 pic shows the shock with 3 springs,,the other is a dual rate spring but it doesn't appear it is a SSD spring.. hmmmmmmmmmm

Good thing Jeffy just got back from Elka.... I can see the 416 with this new LT setup in the near future.....:devil:

Doibugu2
09-17-2003, 08:34 AM
Jeff what's the deal, can we get our current rears converted?

What's this going to do for the average rider?

nacs400ex
09-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
hey nacs what new rear linkage are u talkin about? i might have to get in on this man......:)

Its not like a different linkange all it is, is a different link. I guess I worded it wrong. lil400exman, if you are missing some bolts or have broken ones or whatever. I found a guy that makes bolt kits. He sells them for $70.00 shipped, doesnt matter what year of R either. I needed the bolts and wasnt gunna measure them all myself.

bleupoud
09-17-2003, 06:16 PM
I call elka and they said that you only need to convert your spring set-up. Valving can stay the same. It give give you 11" of wheel travel on a 400ex and 11.25 on a raptor.

remlapr
09-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by bleupoud
I call elka and they said that you only need to convert your spring set-up. Valving can stay the same. It give give you 11" of wheel travel on a 400ex and 11.25 on a raptor.

Nice - is that with either a stock length or +1.25 swinger? Did they give you a price for the just the linkage? I'm 99% sure they make one for the Z already also - that's where I heard about it.

By the way - who started this thread :bandit:

quadman21
09-18-2003, 05:51 AM
I am very curious about this set-up. If I understood the replies correct, this is only a different link for the EX? Because the Elka site shows two pieces. Also, are you saying that you can use an old Elka shock (or stock conversion) but just have it re-springed? and what's the costs?

440ex dragger
09-18-2003, 08:21 AM
I just bought a lowering kit from Durablue for my old 440 it was really easy to work but if you quad vibrates alot it will cause the holders to vibrate down and raise it back up. I just keep an eye on it and then just let it be. It was relatively cheap too it lowered the back about 2 inches. Good for TT and MX.
I think this is what you guys are talking about.

Pappy
09-18-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by 440ex dragger
I just bought a lowering kit from Durablue for my old 440 it was really easy to work but if you quad vibrates alot it will cause the holders to vibrate down and raise it back up. I just keep an eye on it and then just let it be. It was relatively cheap too it lowered the back about 2 inches. Good for TT and MX.

the elka linkage and shock spring mod will allow more suspension travel and a better leverage ratio on the shock. im not the best one to explain it but i like what ive been told so far

swamprider7
09-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by 440ex dragger

They are not talking about a durablue lowering strut. They are talking about new rear shock linkage made by elka. Click on the link a few posts up in this thread to learn more ;) .

440ex dragger
09-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Oh ok sorry about that.

quadman21
09-18-2003, 09:16 AM
How about it Jeff? what do you know about this linkage?

09-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by quadman21
How about it Jeff? what do you know about this linkage?

He knows alot..he's been tellin me about it for months...:mad: Now if i can get him to swap mine over for a good price i'll let ya know what i think about it. I"m gettin ready to have my rear shock reworked so I might go ahead and go with this setup...:uhoh:

Pappy
09-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Rico
He knows alot..he's been tellin me about it for months...:mad: Now if i can get him to swap mine over for a good price i'll let ya know what i think about it. I"m gettin ready to have my rear shock reworked so I might go ahead and go with this setup...:uhoh:

mine is ordered...AND IT BETTER NOT DISAPPEAR:mad: :blah:

Colby@C&DRacing
09-18-2003, 10:57 AM
The linkage has been out for a couple of months now but elak was having trouble getting the bears they needs for it. I have had one here and It looks really nice it is anodized red. The new link is quite a bit different from the stock one. With this new linkage you will get more travel and have a plusher ride because of the different lever ratio. You only need to change the spring rate on the shock that you have thats it no new shock or revalve needed. We will be doing some testing with this linkage soon so I will keep you posted. the price is $198 for the linkage plus he cost of the new springs.:)

09-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
the price is $198 for the linkage plus he cost of the new springs.:)

I think the total kit will be under $300 which seems like alot but it sure beats the he11 outa having your top shock mount cut and rewelded in a different location..:cool:

A4StrokeGuy
09-18-2003, 11:43 AM
the question still is, can i have my rear stock shock rebuilt to except this linkage?

Doibugu2
09-18-2003, 11:44 AM
So this is going to give us a better ride, lower seat height, and more shock travel for $300?

Colby@C&DRacing
09-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Ya that is the good thing it fits the stock swingarm and shock you just need to respring it. If you already have a new shock for one of the aftermarket builders when you buy the linkage you will also be sent a new spring rate to make it all work together correctly

nacs400ex
09-18-2003, 01:44 PM
will it work with an R?, or is it strictly for 400's ?

Rip_Tear
09-18-2003, 05:35 PM
I was looking at the one on Elka awhile ago, it even has a grease nipple for greasing :D Don't forget you can only have so much travel before you bottom your ATV... :ermm:

nacs400ex
09-18-2003, 07:28 PM
My 250r stock linkage has grease nipples too :o LOL

Doibugu2
09-30-2003, 09:20 PM
anybody get this done yet?

quadman21
10-01-2003, 04:57 AM
I'd like to know too, the winter re-build is coming up. So info or first hand experience would be great.

quadman21
10-01-2003, 04:57 AM
I'd like to know too, the winter re-build is coming up. So info or first hand experience would be great.

cdalejef
10-01-2003, 07:04 AM
I shipped the new kit to Pappy last week.

tprender
10-01-2003, 11:04 AM
So if I want this new setup for my 400 I will need to get a new spring for my shock even if the shock has been changed over to ZPS system? Or will the system work with my shock the way that it is setup now?

Pappy
10-01-2003, 11:46 AM
i have the new kit now. i compared it to the stock linkage and there is a pretty decent difference. i will hopefully be installing it later in the week and taking it for a ride to see what i think.

i also discussed using this kit on a rear shock other then elka and was told by 2 very knowledgeble suspension nutz that it aint a good idea at all.

my question would be what will the effects of the new linkage and spring kit on a shock set up for zps etc....i guess ill find out:D

i have some expierence with this kit when used on a z400 and i can tell you that it does work and works extremely well.

Pappy
10-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Ya that is the good thing it fits the stock swingarm and shock you just need to respring it.

how well do you think a dual spring set up will work on a stock shock that is valved for single rate? i doubt its gonna work well but we will see. id think a revalve would be a very wise investment to go along with this kit if used on a stock shock.

remlapr
10-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Keep us posted Pappy.

Jeff - have you sent this setup out to anyone else and gotten any feedback yet? I'm going to need to do something soon - I spent half the day at bearwallow riding on my fronts only from being bucked - I jacked my wrist one of the times, but I still made it through the rest of the ride thanks to doctor Pappy...:p

Pappy
10-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
but I still made it through the rest of the ride thanks to doctor Pappy...:p

i geuss watching every episode of M*A*S*H payed off:D

cdalejef
10-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Keep us posted Pappy.

Jeff - have you sent this setup out to anyone else and gotten any feedback yet? I'm going to need to do something soon - I spent half the day at bearwallow riding on my fronts only from being bucked - I jacked my wrist one of the times, but I still made it through the rest of the ride thanks to doctor Pappy...:p No feedback as of yet.

Pappy
10-01-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
No feedback as of yet.

its puuuuurty:p

quadman21
10-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but this is the question I'm wondering. Can this linkage be used with a stock shock? Such as re-springing and valving your stock rear to work with the linkage? Or do you HAVE to have the new shock to go with it in order to use the full potential of the linkage

Dave400ex
10-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Just got this Email from Yann about the Link,

"Our new 400EX linkage works very nicely, it offers 11 inch of wheel travel at the rear and give you a much more progressive suspension, your first part of the stroke is very plush (like riding on a cloud) and become stiffer the more you compress. It is a huge improvement from stock suspension."

"The linkage only work with the ELKA rear shock, not with the stock one. Since our linkage offers more wheel travel than stock you would be breaking more parts than getting better performance."

bmw500hp
10-02-2003, 06:40 PM
This is confusing....can the stock shock be addressed to compliment the new linkage as mentioned above OR is it necessary to purchase a new shock..

AND if the stock shock IS reworked, will it perform with the same Wheel travel as a NEW shock...

Pappy, why don't you post a pic of the new linkage? and how are you intending to use it now that you are not running the Elka's

cdalejef
10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
This is confusing....can the stock shock be addressed to compliment the new linkage as mentioned above OR is it necessary to purchase a new shock..
No, you cannot use it with a stock or a reworked stock shock!

Pappy
10-02-2003, 06:58 PM

Pappy, why don't you post a pic of the new linkage? and how are you intending to use it now that you are not running the Elka's

i will get some pics tomarrow of the new kit. my 425 still runs an ELKA rear and i havent had a minutes trouble outta it. if all goes well i will install the linkage tomarrow and also take measurements. i wanted to get the 440 done so i could give an honest assesment of the new elka vs my axis rear....

bmw500hp
10-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i will get some pics tomarrow of the new kit. my 425 still runs an ELKA rear and i havent had a minutes trouble outta it. if all goes well i will install the linkage tomarrow and also take measurements. i wanted to get the 440 done so i could give an honest assesment of the new elka vs my axis rear....

Thanks to both Jeff and Pappy...

Basically Gentleman, I am right where I wanted to be with my Axis fronts. Naturally, I would (have) sought to compliment the performance with an Axis rear setup.

However if I can acheive better performance ie: longer travel and ride as posted through Dave400ex, through a Elka/New Linkage setup on the 1-1/4 swinger, the decision would be a no brainer.

Jeff, would the New Elka setup being a SSD setup compliment a dual rate/dual adjust axis front end?

10-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
I was looking at the one on Elka awhile ago, it even has a grease nipple for greasing :D Don't forget you can only have so much travel before you bottom your ATV... :ermm:

thats true to an extent but if your shock is fully extended when u land youll have the 11 inches of suspension before your frame bottoms

i got a rpm + 11/4 swinger, does that affect the setup? if i order that shock and linkage do i just have to tell them i have a +1 1/4?
also does this affect if your run a skidplate, i notice my ac skid is pretty close to the linkage, but im switchin to a prm
also does this put any more stress ont he frame and swingarm?

what does the shock and linkage cost?

thanks guys

cdalejef
10-06-2003, 11:11 AM

Jeff, would the New Elka setup being a SSD setup compliment a dual rate/dual adjust axis front end? How much if any did the Axis lower the front of your quad under its own weight?

cdalejef
10-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by freeride132
thats true to an extent but if your shock is fully extended when u land youll have the 11 inches of suspension before your frame bottoms

i got a rpm + 11/4 swinger, does that affect the setup? if i order that shock and linkage do i just have to tell them i have a +1 1/4?
also does this affect if your run a skidplate, i notice my ac skid is pretty close to the linkage, but im switchin to a prm
also does this put any more stress ont he frame and swingarm?

what does the shock and linkage cost?

thanks guys It will work fine with the extended, just tell the people you order from that you have it so they can make the changes. It will not effect your skid. Call me for pricing