PDA

View Full Version : just cut the stock pipe down a bit.

quader400
09-16-2003, 05:29 PM
i just cut out the baffling at the end so its got better flow. its alot deeper and better sounding and im sure it will have more power. i cant belive how much louder it is so im sure its going to give me a few horses. anyone else done this?

NoWingNoPrayer
09-16-2003, 05:40 PM
OH BOY!
:eek2:
yeah i did that with my 400 when i first got it and it did sound better but belive it or not you just killed your torqe and took out a few ponies.. you will also burn your valves if you leave it like that long enuff because of the loss of backpressure i would suggest getting an aftermarket pipe..

oh yeah on the good side you just gaveyourself about 2 more mph.:p

quader400
09-16-2003, 07:32 PM
if i jet it right i should be fine right?

09-16-2003, 07:45 PM
nope jettin isnt gonna help without backpressure ur valves will be toast soon.

quader400
09-16-2003, 07:48 PM
well i havent riden on it yet. i can just get a new end cap from one of my friends stock pipes. is there any way to get the back pressure back without getting a new exhaust or puting the stock endcap back on cause i really dont want to have to buy a new exhaust.

Greg Z
09-16-2003, 07:49 PM
get a slip on if u have no money for a full system:cool:

quader400
09-16-2003, 07:51 PM
no i have the money but i did not want to spend it on an exhaust system. if i bought a used exhaust would that be alright do exhausts wear out at all or anthing? and if so how long does it take for them to wear out.

Greg Z
09-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by quader400
no i have the money but i did not want to spend it on an exhaust system. if i bought a used exhaust would that be alright do exhausts wear out at all or anthing? and if so how long does it take for them to wear out.

they dont wear out but if they do have dings in them they could do something with the HP make sure no dings or anything bad like that!

quader400
09-16-2003, 07:57 PM
alright thanks for all the help guys.

Diedrich
09-17-2003, 12:40 PM
why would it burn your valves..all the pipes i have had has been straight through with no back pressure..like the T-4, its just straight thru..so why would a stock one cut up tear up your valves..but u could buy ya a used exhaust off ebay for about $150

TRX_Thumper
09-17-2003, 02:11 PM
yeah dont be tellin this guy its gonna burn his valves BS i ran a 300ex for 4 years with a DG rcm thats a straight pipe all the way through....as long as the header is on there then no damage will occur to the exhaust valves

cals400ex
09-17-2003, 02:23 PM
i agree, you will be fine. i had my stock pipe gutted out and didn't even run the baffle for a year. you will see minor improvements in power mainly down low with proper jetting.

09-17-2003, 03:08 PM
ok i guess i don't know what im talkin bout. :rolleyes: just run it like that and see what happens. It wont do it imeaditly but it eventually it will.

swamprider7
09-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
ok i guess i don't know what im talkin bout. :rolleyes: just run it like that and see what happens. It wont do it imeaditly but it eventually it will.

Not to flame, but it sounds like you don't. Have you ever seen a tc pipe? It is about as short and straight through as they come. He won't damage anything by running no baffles in his stock exhaust as long as he jets his quad accordingly. The only way that valves could be damaged would be by running no header because the back of the valves would be getting cooled by the air while the valve faces would be getting heated by exhaust gases which would cause uneven heating and eventually cause warping.

hondafox440
09-17-2003, 05:15 PM
You won't fry your valves or anything, but you won't gain much if any horsepower. Just noise.

09-17-2003, 06:44 PM
ask any mechanic ask him and tell me what he says.

quader400
09-17-2003, 06:55 PM
well i just bought a used lrd from a guy anyways so thanks.

cals400ex
09-17-2003, 09:57 PM
i figure by the time my valves are crap from running a straight through pipe ( most aftermarket pipes made) then my valves will need replaced anyways whether i am running a straight through pipe or not.

danney f
09-18-2003, 01:54 AM
My brother had bought a warrior A while back and the guy he bought it off of had ran a straight pipe on it for almost 2 years without any problems. And I don't mean a hollowed out muffler, a real straight pipe. That thing was terrible to ride, your ears would be ringing for a least a few hours after riding it. Needless to say, it was change for and aftermarket on real fast. It had a crap load of more torque afterwards and you could enjoy ridding it too.

4TraxRider
09-18-2003, 09:49 AM
It seems that everybody says the valves wil go with s straight pipe, but has it ever happened to anyone? I've had straigh pipes on my truck for a year, with no cat, and I had a trx90 that we cut the muffler up on, and I got a bunch of idiot friends who insist on running no mufflers/ gutted stock adn they'r al fine. I never would run a straight pipe now, but i've never seen anything happen because of it either.

Juggalo
09-18-2003, 05:11 PM
i ran my ex like this for about a year and no damage. burning your valves is a crock of chit. dirtwheels put a 400ex on the dyno with the baffle removed and pixked up 1 horse. its not much but its somethin. it sounds better and is quieter than most aftermarket pipes like that too but still louder than stock which is nice