PDA

View Full Version : Which Bolts for a DG skid plate???

DeDo
01-31-2002, 07:48 AM
I am trying to help my nephew install a DG swingarm skidplate on his 2002 300EX - the DG did not come with any bolts and we were told to use the bolts that held the stocker on. These are way to short - they are about 1/2 inch long and they need to be over an inch - probably 1 1/4 would be perfect.

Are these supposed to come with the right bolts?

If not, what did anyone else do - where did you get the right bolts?

Thanks for your help...

DeDo

01ytrx400ex
01-31-2002, 05:46 PM
They should have come with bolts. Return it for another one that has bolts or make your dealer order them from DG at his expense.:mad:

DeDo
02-01-2002, 08:19 AM
I spoke to Ronnies where it was ordered, DG and Dennis Kirk. They all say the same thing - it does not come with bolts. This makes no sense at all to me - why ship a product like that and then make the customer have to run around looking for bolts.

Has anyone with a 2002 300EX installed a DG swingarm skidplate using the stock bolts that held on the original skidplate.

Is the 2002 the same as the 2001 in terms of the skidplate mounting?

Thanks

John

"BLAHH"300!!
02-01-2002, 05:22 PM
go to a hardware store.take your stock bolts with you show em'..and tell e' you want same size and threads just longer...i had to do that with my swingarm.."bearing"..bolt's when
i snapped one

Ex'rMike
02-01-2002, 08:43 PM
Better yet..... Take the DG back and get something that will last. Buy PRM and you will have something that will last a while. www.prm-atv.com
ExerMike

02-01-2002, 09:12 PM
I'm sure the 2002 bolt pattern (mounting pattern) is the same as the 2001.

I had at one time, a long, long time ago, mounted a DG skid plate to my 300ex. They didn't supply bolts then either.

The problem I had with the bolts I bought were not as strong as the stockers. I think I bought them at a Home Depot, and the bolts sheared off very easily. I think there is a code on top of the bolt that tells you how strong the bolts are.

Good luck.

Note: I didn't have an easy time removing the remains of the bolts out of my swingarm:mad:

01ytrx400ex
02-02-2002, 06:17 AM
I have DG for my 400ex and it did come with mounting bolts. If they don't come with your model and the factory bolts don't work I would return it and buy a PRM. If you don't want to go through the trouble, you could always buy new bolts at the hardware store but be sure to buy stainless steel ones.