PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Question

Maxxed out
09-16-2003, 02:47 PM
I am thinking about buying some works front shocks. I was wondering if I would have to buy a rear shock and front shocks? i only wanted to buy front shocks and wanted to keep the stock rear shock on, but will my suspension be of balance or anything if i only buy front shocks? Thanks in Advance!!

lil400exman
09-16-2003, 03:02 PM
well all u need is a rear rebuld and it will be good which a rear rebuild costs around ehhh 275-300 bucks and will work wonders........;)

09-16-2003, 07:53 PM
actually there is no need for a rear rebuild if u don't race. Or if u don't get the zps shocks u don't need to get a rear or even rebuilt.

remlapr
09-16-2003, 08:09 PM
With regular works it would be fine - but with any type of ssd/zps/scs etc. shock - which I think the Pro series works are suppose to be?? You will have some issues. I'm running front Elka ssd's with stock rear, I have adjusted the rear to compensate - but it still buck a LOT. I definately need to get a ssd rebuild or aftermarket rear.

09-16-2003, 08:16 PM
im in remplar situation...I have brand new works up front & they are great but the back stock still bucks a whole lot. Its cool if your not racing or riding super fast (but I do). IM sending mine into santo derisi once i get some money saved up from my job.

09-16-2003, 08:36 PM
dude i race too and if u set ur shock up right its ok. Just undo the rebound some.

nacs400ex
09-16-2003, 08:42 PM
I had triple rate piggyback ssd elkas on my 400ex with a pro tech rebuilt rear. Didnt buck I just took a day to tune it, and it worked great. But I sold the elkas to start the rebuild on ye'old R so bye bye Elkas, Hello ...?

Maxxed out
09-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Ok, so what kind of works shocks do you reccomend I get?

remlapr
09-17-2003, 04:30 PM
I think that depends on how much $$ you have to seriously spend. My buddy has tripple rate basic (steelers - no rezzies) works that he bought used and had re-built by the quadshop and he really likes them. I have jumped on the some and they are way better then the stockers. I actually think they feel a little better then my elkas for jumping - but hammer down through the woods would probably be a different story...

Maxxed out
09-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Well I do jump a lot so thats good to hear! But with me price is definately an issue. I dont want to spend over $500, what do you guys think the best choice for me would be?

zfire_28
09-18-2003, 01:50 AM
For $500, I would buy Elka's without rezzies.

Santo DeRisi
09-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Maxxed out
Well I do jump a lot so thats good to hear! But with me price is definately an issue. I dont want to spend over $500, what do you guys think the best choice for me would be?

Hello,
I could get you some works triple rates with reservoirs for $530.
I don't really recommend getting shocks without reservoirs b/c the oil doesn't last as long and they don't work as good.
The rear shock depends on how much you weigh and what type of riding you are doing........

bmw500hp
09-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
actually there is no need for a rear rebuild if u don't race. Or if u don't get the zps shocks u don't need to get a rear or even rebuilt.

yo, come take a spin on my pep respring/revalve and then tell me that...unless you like he mechanical bull :D

09-24-2003, 03:27 PM
yeh im used to ridin like that ur mom gets rough some times:blah: :p im just kiddin but seriously i was talkin bout for the everyday trail rider they dont need a revalves only the serious trial riders and racers need rebuilds but u can still make the stocker work with some dial in time.

bmw500hp
09-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
yeh im used to ridin like that ur mom gets rough some times:blah: :p im just kiddin but seriously i was talkin bout for the everyday trail rider they dont need a revalves only the serious trial riders and racers need rebuilds but u can still make the stocker work with some dial in time.

Yes thats right, but I really reccomend you call Santo to be sure what is best for you.