PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Choice Of Xc Racers!!!!!

toby400ex
09-15-2003, 07:43 PM
K, Im looking to get some of the roughest toughest racin tars i can. After that muddy, wet, sandy, rutted race i was at sunday i want some 22's. Im looking at Holeshot xcr's, razr 2's, and razrs. I like the cheapness of the kendas, but ive heard they have thin sidewalls. Say what u like the most, and where you have seen them the cheapest. Also direct me towards the cheapest place for a prm summit bumper too if you would like.

spud400ex
09-15-2003, 08:22 PM
i put my knarlys threw hell and there is one spot on the side wall where i hit a big rock and it took a .25 " peice of rubber out and they are shill holding up fine

coryatver
09-16-2003, 01:32 PM
I like my regular razr's. I have 6 ply front and 4 ply rear. I have a summer of racing and riding on them and amazingly if you believe me or not I have not had a flat. The razr 2s are so much better in the mud though. Get the razr 2s if you have the cash and can find them. Or at least the razr 2 fronts.

09-16-2003, 01:39 PM
I've run ITP and razr's. I like the ITP's a little better. Next tires i buy for XC will be kendas. I love the MX tires of theirs so i'm gonna try the trail tire i guess...

BUCK442
09-16-2003, 02:46 PM
I have used ITP products for over five years and I have only had two flats in 5 years of racing. I would not reccomend the xcr's or the xct's. The xcr's are not so good in the ruts and the xcts dont allow precise cornering. In the front I like to cut all of the outside lugs, it seems to keep it from crawling in the ruts. JMO.

lshonda310
09-16-2003, 03:44 PM
I raced on xc holeshots for 7 years- 22" fronts and 20" rears. At the start of the year I bought Razar 2's- 22" fronts and 20" rears, the rears are awsome in the mud of course, but I couldn't believe how much better the fronts turn compared to a holeshot(I never did cut the outer lugs off, but several guys do that), I highly recommend R2 fronts and the rears are a matter of preference, but the R2 rears are good in the mud and all around tire, but it wears extremely well for the conditions I have rode in. Now if only we could get someone to spill the beans on the new product to prevent flats, and I could budget my money better not having to worry about getting a big hole in my tires.:D

toby400ex
09-16-2003, 08:24 PM
I know normal razrs are good tires, Ive been running the same pair for about 9 months, I just wanna try something different. I made the mistake of getting 4 ply rears, they hold up fine but the 6 ply would give me piece of mind.

remlapr
09-16-2003, 08:38 PM
I've rode on three of your choices this year. I've had 22" Knarly's, then 22" orig razrs, now I'm on 20 XC's.

The 22" Knarly's are huge tires and would only make a good extreme mud tire in my opinion.

The 22" Orig razrs were pretty good all around, but they suck when things got sloppy.

The 20" XC's are the best of the three I think - but they are still a compromise. I raced in horrible conditions last Sunday and they got packed with mud so bad I couldn't go anywhere, I would have loved to of had those big arse Knarly's in the situation.

I think the best all around 22" you could buy would probably be the razr 2's. I haven't rode on them, but they look like they would have the least amount of sidewall flex for a 22". The big down side is they are the most expensive and I think the heaviest.

But I think the ideal setup is to have multiple set's of tires and rims with you. I would love to have my 20 XC's, either 20 or 22 razr2's and the 22" Knarlys with me and decide when I get there. I'm sure that's what a lot of the big boys do at the GNCC's

Braff1
09-17-2003, 12:48 AM
I think that no matter what tire you ran they were going to get packed with mud. That clay was just so tacky. I really liked my xcr 03 I put on the predator. They hook up really good. My prob is if I had known it would down pour like it did I would have dropped the pressure down to 4-5 psi instead of the 6 psi I ran.