PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway???

sly400ex
09-15-2003, 06:17 PM
.....this forum can find some common ground without users being banned and threads being locked? This is the first time I have EVER made a thread related to this and I have been an avid member here for over two years. One thing I have noticed, there is definitely a Gestapo type mentality going on here. I see some users basically say whatever they want on a continuous basis, while others are out without a blink of an eye. This is really disturbing, because I definitely consider this place my second home/place of friends. Isn't there a more constructive way of figuring out how to run this place instead of just banning people for their own opinions? Can't we create a sticky thread that actually LISTENS to peoples concerns rather than shun them? Please guys.... try a different approach.... there has got to be a better way!:(

lil400exman
09-15-2003, 06:21 PM
i agree that some things need to be thought over before whipping out the red button but some people like luv needed to be banned even before they made there 1st post......... but i think sly is right some people that are in with the mods and stuff can get away with alot more than say moneone like me who isnt really in with alot of the crew ya know?:)

kabd69667
09-15-2003, 06:52 PM
This thread will be locked or will dissapear before the end of the night. Our opinions don't matter, they don't care about the regular user. You have to be a post whore or in with the mod crew.

sparky450AR
09-15-2003, 06:56 PM
:eek:

kabd69667
09-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
:eek:

Orignally posted by kabd69667
post whore

one of my points...is that smilie really necessary? Can't you voice your opinion or do you just want to run up your post count?

Guy400
09-15-2003, 07:01 PM
I moved the last thread to the deleted forum. That thread has some good discussion in it but was headed in the wrong direction. I'm all for listening to criticism of the site and ways to improve it but it can't turn into a thread where potshots are being tossed back and forth. If you feel you've got a legitimate gripe with the site please discuss it. None of the moderators are perfect. We do the best we can. I've never banned anyone because their opinion was different than mine. Hell, when I came to this site I owned a Yamaha and my opinion was far different than most other members. But, for the most part, they showed me respect and I try to return that favor. Of course, mods have friends on this site just like the rest of you do and we probably do show a little more leniency for them. It's human nature. Don't you show your friends more patience than the average Joe at school? You all go to the same school but I'd bet if your friend knocked your book out of your hand you'd laugh. If some kid you barely know did it you'd probably punch him in the face.

kabd69667
09-15-2003, 07:05 PM
1. This might just be a pet peave of mine or something but i just can't stand it when someone posts a smilied or quotes someone in their post and doesn't respond with anything of their own. It's a useless post. Just like a previous banned member said before, (in order) exriders starts with a question, gets a useless post complaining about how the asker (ha:) ) should have searched before asking. Then a few posts later comes an actual answer to the question. After that comes 4 people stating the same answer with a smilie or the same quote from the original answer.

Can we do anything about this?

sparky450AR
09-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by kabd69667
one of my points...is that smilie really necessary? Can't you voice your opinion or do you just want to run up your post count?

well, i guess by the:eek: smilie, i meant someone is finally standing up and saying something, not many people have the balls to do that...the smilies are there for a reason

so, chill out:o

Guy400
09-15-2003, 07:43 PM
kab, I totally understand your frustration but there's nothing we can do about it really. Sometimes someone says something funny and a person just wants to acknowledge that they're laughing. If we did start editing posts where someone just replied with a smiley we'd be called Nazi's in a hurry. It's sometimes annoying to ask a tech question and get a smiley face though. I must admit, even in tech sections, I'm sometimes guilty of this. There are times when people ask a tech question and because of a total lack of grammar and punctuation I can't understand what they're getting at so I'll reply with a :huh

sparky450AR
09-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
kab, I totally understand your frustration but there's nothing we can do about it really. Sometimes someone says something funny and a person just wants to acknowledge that they're laughing. If we did start editing posts where someone just replied with a smiley we'd be called Nazi's in a hurry. It's sometimes annoying to ask a tech question and get a smiley face though. I must admit, even in tech sections, I'm sometimes guilty of this. There are times when people ask a tech question and because of a total lack of grammar and punctuation I can't understand what they're getting at so I'll reply with a :huh

i agree with you, but this is hardly a tech thread...dont you think?

sly400ex
09-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Guy, thank you very much for the way you responded. That is the type of moderation that is needed here...kind of a constructive criticism. .....
I don't really think anything will or really should be done to comments such as just a

:blah:

or a

:eek2:

They're not going to go away. They're more or less just a way a person shows how they feel through an expression rather than words. ......

I just think that before a mod starts banning someone for a personal blow, or they aren't in the mood, needs to be addressed. I also believe that any banning or locking of threads that is almost certain to bring controversy, it should be brought or presented to the ex admin (Harlen), kind of like a mgmt. type situation.
;)

sparky450AR
09-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Guy, thank you very much for the way you responded. That is the type of moderation that is needed here...kind of a constructive criticism. .....
I don't really think anything will or really should be done to comments such as just a

:blah:

or a

:eek2:

They're not going to go away. They're more or less just a way a person shows how they feel through an expression rather than words. ......

I just think that before a mod starts banning someone for a personal blow, or they aren't in the mood, needs to be addressed. I also believe that any banning or locking of threads that is almost certain to bring controversy, it should be brought or presented to the ex admin (Harlen), kind of like a mgmt. type situation.
;)

hey man, i totally agree with you...there has been a lot of banning goin on around here....some needed, some not:)

JJWB023
09-15-2003, 08:07 PM
i agree with most of this thread...i noticed this the other day...one second a guy was saying what he felt and the next he was BANNED. Everyone has their own opinion some ppl like them some dont...but the mods need to see that everyone cant be perfect. Like some1 said earlier this thread will be closed by the end of the night..why because some1 finally stood up and stated their opinion? I think they are Nazi's when some1 opes a thread askin a question and b4 the question can be answerd its locked or deleted. I also take this placeas my second home...hy i dont have a quad but i made some friends on here..i come here before i check my mail. ill admit its a great site but some 'ppl' can use some adjusting.

hondafox440
09-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Its because we have stupid and immature people here. I think evolution needs to get it's *** in gear.

Ralph
09-15-2003, 08:13 PM
or for example. when there is a member mouthin off to the mods and being a smartass 24/7. the mods are gonna start not liking him, then when he gets banned for something little poeple complain how he didnt do anything bad when realy hes just pissed the mod of more that he shoudl of.

K2Snow
09-15-2003, 08:21 PM
I try to stay away from the Open Forum a lot now. Even though "off-topic" posting is permitted, some threads are just... retarded. When I first became a member on the site, I was looking into buying a quad. Everyone was really helpful and I give a lot of credit to the guys that were patient with my ignorance when it came to anything mechanical or ATV-related. There are still a bunch of really cool guys that offer a lot of help, but there are too many that will jump at your throat the first chance they get. It's getting worse. Seems like the site is starting to get flooded with more and more immature kids. As for the mods, I think they are doing a great job. They are having to deal with a lot more *******s as the site grows more and more. People take things so personally, and flame a guy for anything they can think of. Last thing while I'm actually typing all this..... the brand-bashing needs to stop. This is EXRiders.com, a Honda fan site. It is NOT a site exercising some kind of Honda supremacy. All the pricks that bash on any bike that isn't a Honda need to chill. I'm a Honda fan, but I'll be the first to step up and congratulate Yamaha on an awesome new quad. I'm hungry now, later.

sparky450AR
09-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
or for example. when there is a member mouthin off to the mods and being a smartass 24/7. the mods are gonna start not liking him, then when he gets banned for something little poeple complain how he didnt do anything bad when realy hes just pissed the mod of more that he shoudl of.

thats a very good point too