PDA

View Full Version : help 416 buildup

hook
09-15-2003, 06:05 PM
have no ideal what i am doing but i am going to try to do 416 je piston hot cam stg 2 port & polish head need any ideals on making this a easy an a very good job thanks for all info.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-15-2003, 07:38 PM
The only thing I can suggest is a service manual, possibly a friend that has done this already and doing a search on the site there is good info on the 416 kits..

I wish you luck and if you do have any conserns or question you can always give us a call ;)

Bad Habit
09-15-2003, 08:36 PM
Ya, what she said;)

Get a service manual, a torque wrench and TAKE YOUR TIME. It will be easy to get anxious to get it done and fire it up, just resist the urge of rushing through it. Also, organize a nice work area and bench to lay everything out on. Keep every nut and bolt in containers and label it all.

F-16Guy
09-15-2003, 08:44 PM
My advice? Don't cut corners. Get a manual and follow it step by step. Don't forget to do stuff like: set ring gap, clean everything thoroughly (surgically clean, especially gasket surfaces), remove the decompression mechanism plunger and spring from the head if running an aftermarket cam, rejet carb before initial start-up, lube all valvetrain parts with non-moly assembly lube (goop it on thick), install the sealed cam bearing on the right side with the seal facing out, Lock-tite things that shouldn't come loose, and anti-seize things that should. Good luck, follow the manual, and don't get ahead of yourself!:)

jshtex
09-16-2003, 09:00 AM
The shop that did our bore on our 416, file fit our rings for free. Ask about it, heck even if you have to pay it still might be worth it, just to make sure they are right.

Also make sure you fill every hole in the crankcase with a rag or something, cause you sure don't want anything falling in. The manual is good about pointing this out.

When you have your head work done, there is a VERY good chance you will need new valves. And while they have it get them to install some good valve stem seals and check your springs.