PDA

View Full Version : how do you know when your axle is bent?? answer quickly plz

Greg Z
09-15-2003, 05:45 PM
well i recently noticed that i crcked/chipped my bearing carrier... i was test riding to see if anything went wrong like only 1st gear in a circle... i noticed that i heard something scratch and you felt the quad like it hit the brake softly and went again... when im going slow you dont feel nothing like its normal the quad moves straight and all.. could it be that a peace of the bearing carrier that broke got inside or my axel is bent:confused: im pretty sure my axle isnt bent but im making sure!!!

310Rduner
09-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Well, if you have the axle off, easier thing to do besides eyeing it would be to roll it on a flat surface.

Or, lift the rear of the quad and spin the tires.

Not sure if i would recommend doing it with the engine on, and doing it in gear, but whatever you want to try.:ermm:

Greg Z
09-15-2003, 05:52 PM
iv never did any seriouse jumping yet on my quad when i bought it used the axle wasnt bent it just started doing this when i noticed my bearing carrier was messed up

remlapr
09-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Sounds like just your carrier.

yamaha1470
09-15-2003, 05:59 PM
sounds like a bearing carrier not a bent axle

Greg Z
09-15-2003, 06:08 PM
wooh thats a reliefe ok very cool
:D

nacs400ex
09-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Yep, its your carrier.

remlapr
09-15-2003, 06:30 PM
FYI - buy a locknut, I have been told and seen that the stock setup won't hold once it has been taken apart the first time - even with locktight. I just put the RAD tapered carrier and RAD double pinch bolt locknut on mine - both were quality parts.

Pvt. Maggot
09-15-2003, 06:34 PM
your rotor could be bent...-shrugs- mine is i dunno how...but if you watch it you can see it it makes me dizzy lol

Greg Z
09-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
FYI - buy a locknut, I have been told and seen that the stock setup won't hold once it has been taken apart the first time - even with locktight. I just put the RAD tapered carrier and RAD double pinch bolt locknut on mine - both were quality parts.

where did you order the RAD lock nut?

ScreaminZ400
09-17-2003, 01:58 PM
dunno if it was said but put ur quad on a jack and start it up and put it in gear and see if it wobbles

09-17-2003, 03:53 PM

you are correct. The reason is because 1. the stock locknut is garbage. 2. even after you get a new axle lock nut you should buy a new splined piece with the threads. I forgot who told me this but when you screw the locknut on and tighten it, it flatens all the very fine threads. when u take it off and try to put it back on it will not hold good anymore and will start to loosen up on you again.

remlapr
09-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
you are correct. The reason is because 1. the stock locknut is garbage. 2. even after you get a new axle lock nut you should buy a new splined piece with the threads. I forgot who told me this but when you screw the locknut on and tighten it, it flatens all the very fine threads. when u take it off and try to put it back on it will not hold good anymore and will start to loosen up on you again.

Thanks QuadMX18 - good info. So it sounds like once you take it apart the first time you need the locknut - then if you ever have to take it apart down the road you should replace the threaded piece - I don't know what it's really called, but I know exactly what your talking about. Question is can you buy just that piece?? We put lock tight on under the locknut and torqued that mofo down and with the grease zerk on this carrier hopefully I won't have to take the SOB apart again for awhile. I also had another good thought - I'm going to put a small white line on the threaded piece with just a couple of threads showing between the line and the locknut - that way I can just look at it and if there are no longer any threads between the white line and the locknut I will know that it moved. I just wonder if some white outdoor paint will last? I also wish I would have thought of this before the first time I rode on it last weekend - it could have moved and I wouldn't really know unless it has slipped enough to allow play in the carrier, guess I need to go jack it up and check it :ermm:

remlapr
09-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Greg Z
where did you order the RAD lock nut?

I got mine off of eBay, but your best bet is C & D. I think I actually paid about $3 more for mine - but they had it on hand and I wanted to get it quickly. Just make sure to get the new double pinch bolt style - the RAD's used to only have one pinch bolt, which was probably good enough but I figure the bigger nut with the two bolts can only be better and they are about the same price.

09-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks QuadMX18 - good info. So it sounds like once you take it apart the first time you need the locknut - then if you ever have to take it apart down the road you should replace the threaded piece - I don't know what it's really called, but I know exactly what your talking about. Question is can you buy just that piece?? We put lock tight on under the locknut and torqued that mofo down and with the grease zerk on this carrier hopefully I won't have to take the SOB apart again for awhile. I also had another good thought - I'm going to put a small white line on the threaded piece with just a couple of threads showing between the line and the locknut - that way I can just look at it and if there are no longer any threads between the white line and the locknut I will know that it moved. I just wonder if some white outdoor paint will last? I also wish I would have thought of this before the first time I rode on it last weekend - it could have moved and I wouldn't really know unless it has slipped enough to allow play in the carrier, guess I need to go jack it up and check it :ermm:

Yea you can buy just the threaded piece for the axle lock nut by itself. I got mine from www.servicehonda.com for $16.04 Its pretty expensive but I figure replace it once and not have problems with loosening. I use the meszaros dual pinch locknut and so far everything has stayed tight.
As far as using the white paint for the threads. It will hold up fine. I actually did the same thing but i used a regular black marker and it stayed fine. After a good wash it may lighten but i just go over it again and its real simple and easy to do. I also do the same on my carrier bc i was having problems with my chain loosening.