PDA

View Full Version : jb weld?

300expower
09-15-2003, 05:18 PM
does normal jb weld will stick on a motor base, cause i have to repair it, bit dont want to weld it cuz i'm gonna screw it if i need to open it, si jb weld will be tha thing, cause my motor base loses oil from the crack between the 2 parts of the base, so i will clean that up really good with brake cleaner, and put jb on it, will it stick or i need special jb wled? if it ever exists...

honda250xrider
09-15-2003, 05:27 PM
yes i've heard of people fixing the left sidecase where the chain flys off and hits the case. So pretty sure if they can fix the sidecase with jb weld then it would work for your quad... but im not sure still where the crack is that you are talking about.... to me you are talking about the head and the jug where they meet im not to sure... if thats the case then you will need to get a new gasket but yes the jb weld should work to fix the problem

300expower
09-15-2003, 06:43 PM
yeah, i know that the best guess would be to change the gasket, but to change this one, i need to take out my motor, and have the whole transmission in my hands, i dont wanna this and i wont pay a f***in dealer to do this, i think it will be a lot more cheaper with the jb weld.
and for the crack
chek where is your drain plug, you will see that the motor base is on 2 parts, and the crack between these 2 ones, it'S where its leaking cause my mecanician welded in my drain plug to do other taps, and i think that the wled mande my gasket blow.

other ideas?

Juggalo
09-15-2003, 07:19 PM
when i had my LT my counterbalancer sheared off the key and put a hole in my case. me and my dad took a peice of aluminum we cut off a pipe and cut it and bent it so it was somewhat the shape of the case and drilled holes in it. then we covered all that in JB weld. it worked really good. held up until it was stolen and no oil ever leaked out of it or anything.

AtvMxRider
09-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Yeah JB Weld will work but the key to it is make sure the area you are going to repair is "Clean".

300expower
09-15-2003, 07:22 PM
does brake cleaner and a lil sandpaper will do the job?

thx for the replies, but i dont understand what your saying jugalo..

AtvMxRider
09-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 300expower
does brake cleaner and a lil sandpaper will do the job?

Yep.:)

KASCHAK
09-15-2003, 07:36 PM
hey you took my old avatar!! im gunna kill you!!!:mad:

jk

AtvMxRider
09-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by KASCHAK

jk

:uhoh: Who? Me?

Lmao

300expower
09-15-2003, 07:56 PM
ok so, i take off my skid plate, clean up the motor really good with brake cleaner, do a lil sand paper job on that, and go buy a jb weld (what type of jb weld?) and put that **** on that, is there is a special way to put jb weld?

stonerider250x
09-15-2003, 08:05 PM
ive used JB weld on my motor lots of times. Were my chain poped off and cracked the side case and were my swing arm came up and hit the back of my motor. There is no special way to put it on just make sure its smooth. Thats all ive ever worried about nd t works fine:D

09-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by KASCHAK

jk

watch out if u haven;t heard yet jerry's black.

Juggalo
09-15-2003, 09:37 PM
basically i had a hole in my case and when the motor ran oil spurted out of the top. so we made a peice of metal to go over the hole then covered the metal in jb weld.