PDA

View Full Version : LRD, Pro-Curcuit, or Bug Gun?

mall0y
09-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Lookin for an exhaust system either LRD, Pro-Curcuit, or Bug Gun. Which one has the most HP gain? and which one would be the best for a stock 400ex motor?

Pvt. Maggot
09-15-2003, 04:55 PM
BBBBIIIIIIGGGGGGGGG GGGGUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN :devil:

my bro has one on his 400 and it made it feel like a different machine...sounds looks and preforms AWSOME! i would def get it if i were you. :devil:

mall0y
09-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
BBBBIIIIIIGGGGGGGGG GGGGUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN :devil:

my bro has one on his 400 and it made it feel like a different machine...sounds looks and preforms AWSOME! i would def get it if i were you. :devil:

How does it compare to the other pipes??

Giz400ex
09-15-2003, 05:47 PM
LRD:D

Pvt. Maggot
09-15-2003, 05:47 PM
the lrd and big gun are neck and neck but imo the big gun looks better because the lrd usually changes colors but power increase and such are the same i've rode my bros 400 and a guy i knows and they are stock motor with the 2 differnt pipes but i think the big gun takes it in looks but like i said power and increase are like neck and neck

Giz400ex
09-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Has Bug Gun:D change there style lately? If you haven't seen it already, LRD has change there pipes again and looks pretty cool but now they call it the Pro-4.

mall0y
09-15-2003, 08:21 PM
thanks guys....big gun it is??

NoWingNoPrayer
09-16-2003, 06:01 PM
just my 2 cents but why wouldent you get the pipe that will give you the most power for your money? like a E Sieres or T4?

Sportrax10
09-16-2003, 06:22 PM
LRD

stonerider250x
09-16-2003, 06:56 PM
The LRD will prolly give the 400ex the biggest power gain but another pipe i wqould suggest is the sparks x-6

cals400ex
09-16-2003, 07:20 PM
don't get the big gun. big gun has one of the worst flowing abilities out of any pipe made. the lrd is by far the best out of that bunch in my opinion. my friend has a big gun, that is how i know. also, if you do motor mods, the lrd or sparks pipe will blow the big gun away.

09-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by NoWingNoPrayer
just my 2 cents but why wouldent you get the pipe that will give you the most power for your money? like a E Sieres or T4?

you boys see what crack cocaine will do to u:grr:

mall0y
09-16-2003, 08:40 PM
ok well what is the best pipe that gives you the most powergain....im not looking for opinions i want cold, hard facts, and the numbers to prooove them.

Toadz400
09-16-2003, 09:27 PM
i have a Big Gun Slip-on and love it, gives me a lot of power and i LOVE the sound. i don't see anything wrong with it, my friend has WB R-4 and that seems to give more top end and the power seems to be a lot different compared to my Big Gun, but i like my Big Gun compared to the R4 because it just seems a lot more easier to use. dunno, just my 2 cents

09-16-2003, 09:43 PM
unless you wanan waste money id only consider lrd , hetricks and sparks, im gonna be buying the new lrd pro 4 full system

mall0y
09-17-2003, 05:25 AM
ok does anyone have any dyno reports or anything that will show which one gets the most power!!?!?

cals400ex
09-17-2003, 09:02 AM
go to the faq on this site and there are a couple exhaust shoot outs for the 400ex. however, this is not up to date. some of the pipes improved such as lrd and ct. we will not be able to tell you which pipe makes more power exactly because each pipe will perform differently with different mods. so, there is not "one best pipe." i personally don't like the looks of the ct so i did not get that. lrd re-did their pipe again( i think this is the 4th one by lrd). sparks is known to be the best in the industry for power. i bought a sparks x-6 for that reason. to tell you the truth, you won't feel a big gain with any pipe on a stock 400ex. yes, i beat my friend with his big gun without too much trouble once we get moving, but that is pretty much common sense when comparing sparks to big gun. some people say that the sparks is not the best quality as far as the ceramic coating goes. i just bought the stainless steel pipe for the extra $30. i would not mind trying out a lrd, hetrick, ct etc for comparisons though. the lrd looks sweet too. if i had to do it again, what would i do? i would either go with the sparks x-6 again or the lrd. sparks makes an x-4 which is made for a stock bike. i just went ahead and put an x-6 on a stock bike because i knew i would do a cam and piston sooner or later. good luck

Giz400ex
09-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by mall0y [/i]
[B]ok does anyone have any dyno reports or anything that will show which one gets the most power!!?!?

Going by dyno reports, they had one like 2 years ago and the Sparks came up on top. But, LRD ect have redesigned there exhaust. I've had the x-6 and wasn't please with it. So I went back to LRD and bought there new Pro-4. The LRD woke my 400 right up!! My opinion, the LRD is the way to go! Its cheaper than the Sparks and performs alot better.

cals400ex
09-17-2003, 10:08 PM
isn't this lrd pipe just changes in looks from the previous? i think this is the 4th one by lrd. i was told that the 3rd and 4th were the same pipe with different looks, but i can't prove that.

zfire_28
09-18-2003, 01:29 AM
I ran a Big Gun on my Ex for 2 years. The power gains were good. The quality sucks, the head pipe broke from motor vibration. I welded it back together, then it broke clean free from the pipe when I landed rough on a table-top. IMO don't waste your money on a Big Gun. I really like my new FMF titanium w/powerbomb head pipe though.

stonerider250x
09-18-2003, 04:06 PM
the sparks x-6 is still named the best pipe for the 400ex

nofear911
09-18-2003, 04:29 PM
For what its worth, i have a procircuit t-4 slip on and I love everything about it, except that it is very loud, the loudest pipe I've ever heard on a 400ex. It makes very good power throughout the whole rpm range. It does seal at the headpipe with an oring, not a very good seal when oring burns out every month or so. Over all I would recomend this pipe if you are looking for just a slip-on.

Giz400ex
09-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex [/i]
[B]isn't this lrd pipe just changes in looks from the previous? i think this is the 4th one by lrd. i was told that the 3rd and 4th were the same pipe with different looks, but i can't prove that.

The Pro-4 is there 3rd design and the design is the same as the 2nd but does look different.:D

TeamSe7enracing
09-18-2003, 06:10 PM
LRD:

Just installed the new Pro4 Full LRD Ceramic header/pipe combo on one of our recreational dirt only bikes and replaced our old Yoshi Comp system and WOW! The new LRD pipe is incredible. It has incredible pull from 2nd-4th gear (very usable) and this is on a stock motor with only a K&N on it. Eats up any other pipe I have seen on a stock bike. Now the E series slip on has crazy low end torque still (stock header), we will give it that - but for ridable power gains and a great sound (we chose the spark arrested version) this new LRD is the way to go! Also, spend the extra $40-50 and get the ceramic coated version - the chrome will discolor, ceramic coating shouldn't change color if you jet it right!

Sparks exhaust also are also up there on the top of our list! We have ridden the others mentioned, but they just can't keep up with the LRD & Sparks. The nice advantage we feel that LRD has over the Sparks is that it works great on a stock bike - but even better on a built motor!

Way to go - LRD!:devil:

Dune Surfer
09-18-2003, 07:04 PM
As others have posted sparks and WB pro meg rated as the best. Lrd has a good rep and is the choice of many in the northwest. I have seen dyno's on the big gun and it is a bottom end pipe. The others listed are top end pipes. If you want power down low the big gun is your best bet if you want top end power and speed get one of the others. Hope this helps. Another pipe I would strongly recomend is the Duncan racing fatboy4. Great top end pipe and very well made.

1fast400ex
09-18-2003, 07:17 PM
i recently purchased a full lrd system for my 400ex. havent had a chance to install and run it yet. i was running a dg full system does anyone have a idea what size jet to possibly to start out with the lrd. with the dg i ran a 158keihn. thanks for any help.

RuffRyder400ex
09-18-2003, 07:20 PM
if you have a stock engine on your 400 i would just go for either a pro circuit or wb slip on.

cals400ex
09-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by 1fast400ex
i recently purchased a full lrd system for my 400ex. havent had a chance to install and run it yet. i was running a dg full system does anyone have a idea what size jet to possibly to start out with the lrd. with the dg i ran a 158keihn. thanks for any help.

a 158 sounds pretty good. i am running a full x-6 with a modded lid and 158 was the jet i was using.

1fast400ex
09-19-2003, 06:58 PM
thanks for the reply cal. as to the air box im not currently running one. i mainly drag race so i completley removed it.

Chef
09-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
don't get the big gun. big gun has one of the worst flowing abilities out of any pipe made. the lrd is by far the best out of that bunch in my opinion. my friend has a big gun, that is how i know. also, if you do motor mods, the lrd or sparks pipe will blow the big gun away.

How old of a Big Gun is it?

cals400ex
09-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Chef
How old of a Big Gun is it?

the big gun is one year old. it is the race series. i don't even know if there is any different series. he gained good torque with it but it just seems as if it is not a top end pipe. sorry if i was a little harsh. i just personally would not get one if it was me. i love the sound and looks of it when it was stock, but with a 406 and stage 1 cam he has, i personally don't like the sound as much and it doesn't seem to flow near as well as it should. it seems like the engine will keep revving but doesn't seem to go much quicker. with my x-6 i am able to leave it in gear a lot longer and just pull on him without any problem. however, i do have a stage 2. but, i still pull on him in second gear too. with stage 2 i wasn't expecting the power to come on too quick. actually it doesn't seem as if the power comes on that quick with my stage 2, but i still pass him on low end. the only thing that i can think of is my piston is 10.8 and his is 10.1 compression. we both run on pump gas. i would not think that difference in piston compressions would make me still have more low end than him with me having stage 2 and him having stage 1. i personally think his pipe is just holding him back a little bit.

Chef
09-19-2003, 08:27 PM
All I was thinking about the age for is that the EARLY Big Guns, like 2 years and older, the header was really small. It also had a weird bend in it to follow the case. The next edition after that was a ton better, had less of a bend and a bigger diameter after the collecter. The newest version of the header, which I have, has longer tubes, is shaped just a little bit different, and is just a touch bigger diameter. It also really helps to have the portwork matched up for this pipe. Mine breathes great on my 460, but it is a different version than alot of people have, and my exhaust ports and the exhaust have been "matched up", if you will, to work with each other.

250x#93
09-19-2003, 09:47 PM
Definitely go wit the procircuit T4;)

cals400ex
09-19-2003, 11:32 PM
sorry, the big bun i am talking about is just a slip on. maybe i forgot to mention that or maybe i put that in an earlier thread or something. i understand that a silencer won't compete with a complete when you have a cam/piston combo. i guess it may not be a bad pipe, just wouldn't be my first choice. my friend really wishes he would have got an lrd, sparks, graydon etc over his.