PDA

View Full Version : Why the 400Ex over the Z400?

jollyrj
09-15-2003, 04:20 PM
For those who have a 400EX, why did you choose it, let's say over the Z400 or other?

Just curious.. Or vice versa... if you have a Z400 or other, why over the 400EX?

Thanks!!

~Rachel

ghost_ryder
09-15-2003, 04:23 PM
i picked the z over the 400ex cause of the liquid cooled, reverse, and the z has a lil more power...other than that they are pretty much the same thing

jollyrj
09-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah, i did notice the stock Z seems to have more power then the stock EX.. do you find the need to use reverse a lot?

stock400ex
09-15-2003, 04:36 PM
i miss reverse... :grr:

but only when im trail riding

remlapr
09-15-2003, 04:42 PM
My opinion:

Z400:

Pros:
reverse
a little more power
liquid cooled (biggest thing)

Cons:
WEAK frame
It sits higher - regardless of the published numbers
Stock rear is suppose to be even worse then the EX when it comes to bucking.

400EX:

Pros:
Reliability
More durable

Cons:
No liquid cooling
No reverse
Low on power vs. the newer bikes in the same class.

That being said, If was buying a NEW bike for 5k today it would be the Z, even though I ride an EX and love it. The liquid cooling just tips the scale too much in the Z's direction.

ghost_ryder
09-15-2003, 04:51 PM
i do use reverse but not a lot most of the times i just spin it around...but sometimes i gotta use reverse...its better than gettin off and turning it around...

09-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Reliability = honda

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-15-2003, 05:05 PM
I have ridden a few z's the

Cons: sits way to high even with aftermarket shocks
and I don't like the front fenders.
also felt narrow but I am sure that is because I am used to the 400ex being widened (sp)

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-15-2003, 05:38 PM
i wouldnt even consider the z just because of the frame....screw trying to fix that flaw:ermm:

4TraxRider
09-15-2003, 06:39 PM
I have a EX and a Z, and both definately have pro's and cons. I can't keep my Suzuki together basically, but when i do, it's great. My Honda is just a littel down in every category, but just can't be beat when you just want to ride. It has never let me down, after 3 years of beating on it. Really, both are very good quads, and despite being very different, they both are about the same to me for fun/ racing.

400grl
09-15-2003, 07:05 PM
If I were to do it over again, knowing what I know now....it would be a tough choice. My Honda has never let me down, even after two years of very hard riding/racing......it's amazing. And the 440 kit really wakes it up if you want more power.......but it does lose HP when it gets hot......the Zuki has more room to bore, but the 450 kits are EXPENSIVE!!! I'd have to say Honda....call me a weenie, but I like my quad to hold together....... ;)

lol
09-15-2003, 07:55 PM
i wouldnt even consider the z just because of the frame....screw trying to fix that flaw
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Quote from rippin

Not trying to flame or anything.... but i wouldnt buy a yfz450... just cause its a yammmy

jk i love yammys...... especially my waverunner

Punk'd
09-15-2003, 08:01 PM
i think the z is geared higher thats y its faster

hondafox440
09-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Liquid cooled just means more moving parts, and in a Suzuki, thats the last thing you want. Liquid cooling really doesn't offer THAT much more of a benefit than air cooling.

09-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Reliability = honda

yyyyyuppp

remlapr
09-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Liquid cooled just means more moving parts, and in a Suzuki, thats the last thing you want. Liquid cooling really doesn't offer THAT much more of a benefit than air cooling.

:huh :huh :huh

batgeek
09-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440

no chit...WTF?

tclapp
09-15-2003, 09:12 PM
I have a Z400 and I love it, dont get me wrong all of my ridign buddies ride 400ex's and they are great as well i just liked the power of the Z and the reverse and most of all the price that i got on the Z verses what i could get the 400ex, but both are great quads i think

hondafox440
09-16-2003, 08:04 AM
What don't you get? With a liquid cooled motor you have the impeller/water pump, radiator and fan assembly, and more hoses. The comment about Suzuki was referring to Suzuki's not so clean reliability record.. :rolleyes:

remlapr
09-16-2003, 08:13 AM
I have a 400ex and love it - but water cooling is FAR FAR superior to air cooling - that's just motor basics 101. It is a huge disadvantage if you ride/race for a long time in the woods. Anything you do to mod a EX you have to worry about heat - from what I have heard a Z can be bored to a 440 or 450 and not have any problems with cooling, even lugging it around in the woods. Compression is another issue - it's pretty common knowledge that anything above 10.8:1 in a EX and you are going to have to run 50/50 race gas. With a Z I believe you can go up to almost 12:1 without race gas because of the water cooling keeping the heat the extra compression generates under control. I actually think the Z motor is proving itself to be pretty reliable. Only type of racing I can see where it isn't that big of a factor would be dragging, because you only have the bike running for a minute or so at a time.

Pappy
09-16-2003, 08:14 AM
i dont like the way the Z handles. i geuss i could get used to it but it gets a negative from me in that department.

the power and liquid cooling and reverse make it a logical choice between it and the 400ex.

the frame is the biggest downfall of the z400. suki needs its *** kikk'd up round its shoulders for not fixing the problem.

jollyrj
09-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Hey, thanks.. a LOT of great input.. a LOT to think about....

Thanks again...

Doibugu2
09-16-2003, 09:55 AM
My buddies bought there warrior before I bought mine. I went in kind of blind buying mine.

I was lucky enough that my dealer had all three right next to each other. Raptor, EX, Z.

The Z had just come out when I was looking and it, and I just didn't like how I sat on it. And I was worried about 1st year problems. (the frame issue probably wouldn't be that big of a deal for me, because I stay close to the ground)

But like someone said above, you can't beat the Honda's reliablity. I just want to ride, screw fixing or working on it.

hondafox440
09-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Liquid cooling does not keep the engine THAT much cooler. Maybe 10-20 degrees. In the overall scheme of the motor, that doesn't really affect it. If you ride slow on a liquid cooled bike it will overheat just as fast as an air cooled bike will because you aren't drawing air over the radiators, thus cooling the fluid inside. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying air cooling is better than liquid cooling, all I'm saying is people have a common misconception that liquid cooling is light years ahead of air cooling when in reality is isn't THAT much better.

ewalker302
09-16-2003, 07:43 PM
My opinion & I think all the other EX riders will agree with me.

I rode one----I bought one.

Thats it

:bandit: