PDA

View Full Version : What's the usual powerdercoat job?

wilkin250r
09-15-2003, 03:57 PM
So what's the norm for powerdercoating, along with the frame and subframe? Obviously the wheel hubs, and engine mounts, but what else?

Do you usually coat the a-arms the same color as the frame? Maybe to save the joints I'll just leave the a-arms as they are.

Do you do the swingarm the same as the frame? The same as the plastic? Just leave it the stock gray?

Any engine components, to add a little pizzaz? I'm thinking not, but what is your opinion?

What else should I consider powdercoating? I don't want to make 5 trips to the powerdcoater, I want to get it all done at once, and it ensures they all come out the same color.

muff
09-15-2003, 04:32 PM
brake pedal, shift lever, steering stem clamp, battery strap, brake hub, axle, etc. are some other items you didnt list

K_Fulk
09-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Try to mix the colors up some if you do everthing the same looks pretty plane. Say stock red plastic red frame /subrame. Black swingarm a-arms and stem would look good.

Natertot426ex
09-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Try to mix the colors up some if you do everthing the same looks pretty plane. Say stock red plastic red frame /subrame. Black swingarm a-arms and stem would look good.

That is what I am going to do to mine. My bottum a-arms are black and the tops are chrome PC but as soon as I get the time and money I will do the rest!!

wilkin250r
09-16-2003, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking black plastics with a neon/kawasaki green frame. Should I do the swingarm green or black? If I do the a-arms, should I make them green or black?

user101
09-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'm thinking black plastics with a neon/kawasaki green frame. Should I do the swingarm green or black? If I do the a-arms, should I make them green or black?

the bad thing about that color combo is that it is hard to make it look good. there just isnt alot of graphics out there that go with neon green.

how bout doing a black frame, red aarms,swinger,stem,pedal,shifter, and what not. that looks pretty good.

how about blue plastic, black seat, blue frame, black lowers, chrome uppers, chrome swinger, stem. then do the other little things in chrome or blue.

wilkin250r
09-16-2003, 05:58 PM
I don't plan on having any graphics. A custom seat cover with a touch of green is about all the accent I plan to have. I thought about blue frame, white plastics, and lots of chrome, but it seems like EVERYBODY does that color combo.

user101
09-16-2003, 06:31 PM
imho the green/black combo looks horrible.

im going to have red frame,red lowers, uppers chrome pc, and red swinger with black stem and white plastics.

09-16-2003, 07:59 PM
i got a blue frame, blue sub,blue swinger,and left the arms stock to save the joints and it looks killer. i wouldn't change a thing. And i also got some little stuff pc'd. But i think one color doesn't look plain if u have contrasting plastic like me im usin the stock red it looks killer.

queenjr
09-18-2003, 12:04 PM
I tried to get some engine parts done but the coater said it would fish eye becasue the engine parts were porous. I did the oil filter cover and he was telling the truth. It looked not so good. I stuck with the frame and small parts after that.
Thomas

muff
09-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by queenjr
I tried to get some engine parts done but the coater said it would fish eye becasue the engine parts were porous. I did the oil filter cover and he was telling the truth. It looked not so good. I stuck with the frame and small parts after that.
Thomas

from all of pappys work that he's posted i have not seen that happen at all

Pappy
09-18-2003, 12:16 PM
cases can be a ******. the pourous make up of the case combined with trapped oil will cause fish eyes. i use a 3 or 4 wash cycle and then the cases go in the oven for 30 minutes to out gas and bake off any residule oils. so far so good....no problems here:p

queenjr
09-18-2003, 01:32 PM
If I did a vein it would not show up but I am doing candy colors and they looked like pin holes.

Pappy
09-18-2003, 01:38 PM
if the case has nicks and scratches...it still isnt ckleaned enough and dirt could be the problem. what kind of case is it? sanding will help also.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/p2f5cee7087650547550066e6eb5d61fb/fb286d12.jpg

queenjr
09-18-2003, 01:46 PM
May have been not clean enough or so. I saw what the first piece came out as and I did not want to do the rest. The pic is the same color I used. That looks like it came out great. Fricken hurricane is going to blow us out of here I think.

queenjr
09-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Any way I can call you to talk about some parts I would like to get done? There are some parts I want done that it would be a big help if the coater knew something about ATV's.

Pappy
09-21-2003, 07:06 PM
just send me a pm or an email exatak@aol.com

if ya wanna call...800-573-4114 ask for kenny...ill be in tuesday and wednesday for sure this week

Creech52
09-22-2003, 09:38 PM
is it a good idea to P/C a jug from like a 250R or would it hold in too much heat or anything, I heart where painting or polishing causes it to hold heat or something like that

danney f
09-22-2003, 09:44 PM
Polishing won't cause it to hold in heat, paint might but not much and powder coating them will hold in the most heat because it is so much thick than paint. I have done a few water cooled jugs, but wouldn't if they were air-cooled.

Chef
09-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Make sure you do the little accent stuff. Brake Hub, any small mount brackets, etc. It just adds a little touch of detail that goes a long way. Radiator brackets, etc etc. If the swingarm is aluminum, polish it. Nothing looks better than polished aluminum IMO. If you PC the frame, and dont do the a-arms, it tends to look half-*****ed. From reading what you have to say on here, I dont think you would want that. If you really want the Black and Green, do a trans green. I think that would look so sweet. Do the chrome layer, the trans green, then clear, and I bet it would rule all.:cool: