PDA

View Full Version : best tire's for the sand- are

"BLAHH"300!!
08-13-2001, 08:33 PM
hello--

i ride 300ex- person i ride with has- 400ex

the mississippi. river is going down and the sand is coming outt.

i want and so does he- want sand tires-

he-- was thinking about pro-wedges- but they dont look like they have a very big lip on em' -

i-- was thinking just streight paddles

- how do these pro-wedges perform- witch wold be the better choise- or what other tire would be better-

- i was thinking let him get the --pro's and i'll get the streight ones'- that way i'll have a little jump on him when it;s time to ride the sand- -
need some info please

nakomis0
08-14-2001, 04:34 PM
Straight paddles are more for sand drags and going straight, they hook up better.
the Wedges arent as fast in a straight line but they make turning a little easier.
And because you have 300ex you probably wanna go with a 8 run paddles, thats for straight paddles, for wedges I'm not sure but 8 run is probably what ya would need. If you went with a 10 run they weight a little more and take more power to get ya around. Hope that helps a bit.

Chef
08-14-2001, 07:59 PM
all the people in the group i go with have straight paddle haulers (two 416EX's, a 300ex, and a 250ex + my 440) and they are great for drag racing and hill climbing. we like to go along trails that will go normal for a while but then just turn like straight up the hill right in the middle of the hill and you can turn and go up with them if you stay off the gas in the turn to get pointed up hill then nail the throttle. but be careful, the kid on the 300ex was doing this and when he nailed the throttle the tires didnt get spinning fast enough and he endoed and 13 times to the bottom of the hill, right into the trees. (the 250EX didnt follow us. )

"BLAHH"300!!
08-15-2001, 12:55 AM
i'll g0 with nak-

skull
08-20-2001, 03:34 AM
if you're running a 13 tooth (stock) front sprocket, make sure you get 22" rear tires, and get the straights. you will hook up SO GOOD trust me.

08-20-2001, 07:57 AM
hey HOTT440EX you say you ride with 2 416exs. whos wins the drag races your 440 or the 416? i was just wondering because i hear alot of people say that the 416exs were faster than 440exs but didnt have as much torque

"BLAHH"300!!
08-20-2001, 04:35 PM
HEY MAN- I'M RUNNING A 14 TOOTH FRONT ON MY 300

WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMEND FOR THE SAND- I
USUALLY JUST RIDE TRAILS AND SOME MINOR SAND- BUT LIKE I SAID THE MS... RIVER IS COMMING DOWN AND THERE'S LOTS OF SAND MILES OF IT- IT WOULD BE WORTH THE CHANGING OF MY SETUP- SO KEEP THE- 14 OR GO TO 12??- FRONT SPROKKKKK??

SKULL LATER:huh

Chef
08-20-2001, 05:54 PM
the 416's arent even close to me in a drag race, and goin down the beach they try to start wheelieing in like 4th and cant, all i have to do is pull the clutch in a bit, rev it and pop it out and it comes up easy. but they also just did the 416, JE 10.5:1 piston, and a cam and a fcr, so the playing grounds arent even level, as in my list of mods vs. theirs, but im sure it would probably be closer if they had a full page of mods on the invoice like i do

08-20-2001, 06:09 PM
yeah it looks like u got all the goodies with yours. hehehe did u send your motor off to get the work done? if so where did u send it? im considering getting some motor work done this winter. how much hotter does the motor run than stock? this is a major concern for me. actually its one of the main reasons i've not had any work done on the motor right now. i thought about adding everything i could to the quad without getting into the motor but from what i've heard thats where u get the most bang for your buck. i still might get a FCR carb b4 this winter because i'll end up with one sooner or later anyways along with a sparks key

Chef
08-20-2001, 07:12 PM
i actually just took my motor to vancouver washington, like an hour and a half south of me, to fletchtrick. i can email you the paper he faxed us if you want that, his performance stuff for a 400 comes in three stages, stage one is a 440 kit, big gun exhaust, and a dyno jet kit, and i think something else, and stage 3 is what i have, plus some more thats not on the paper, like he lightens the flywheel, and some other stuff. we were expecting to spend the same as the guy that we know that had his done there, but he only spent $2700, this ended up being 4500. it does run quite a bit hotter than stock i think, but thats to be expected, and i think i am going to get a pingry oil tank and if i can find it a bigger oil cooler. but i havent lost to another 400, 416, or 440 yet with this. but thats just the ones i have raced, and you will be in this farther than just the motor, cause he reccomends atleast a +2 swingarm, but we are getting a +3. if you have any other questions, ask, and i might know the answers.

08-21-2001, 03:32 PM
sounds like a nice setup. i think i'll be looking around pretty soon for a reputable shop to get my work done. i know of 2 shops really close. just like a 20 minute drive from my house but im not sure if i trust them. 1 shop i know of has been known to really mess stuff up and the other im not sure of yet but its just a matter of time until i find someone i trust. even if i have to drive alittle ways farther i think its worth it to get quality work done. im 90% sure i'll be going with the ims 440 kit, GTT cam with XR head gaskets, and a FCR carb and get it ported and polished at the same time. all im waiting for is winter. maybe by then i'll have enough saved up to afford it all. what compression are u running? and is all that other stuff worth the extra $$$$$?

Chef
08-21-2001, 05:38 PM
my compression is 11.5:1, the guy tried building a 12.5:1 motor but it was just too much and the head gasket wouldnt stay in it, i just wonder what it would be like if he could have built that, cause this is EXTREMELY fast with 11.5:1. as far as if its worth it, it all depends on if you have the money. like i said, the total was more than the guy that we know that sent his there, so he might have gotten stage 2, and stage 2 is pretty fast anyways, we got stage 3, and it was $4500

08-21-2001, 05:47 PM
thats alot of $$$$. do u run race gas? i would like to run a 11:1 or higher when i get mine built. i dont have a problem with race gas. alot of people dont want to bother with running it i guess because its not as convient as pump gas or its too expensive. i find it odd that people will spend that much money on engine work and wont spend a few dollars extra and run the good gas. besides i just found a gas station around the neighborhood that has a pump for race gas.. hehehe funny how i never noticed it years ago

Chef
08-21-2001, 07:22 PM
as far as i know thats all that you can run with 11.5:1 compression. I run trick, and i love how it smells. im not totally sure on what the exact octane is, but i think its like 112 or 114. And i also like the color, its dark purple when you look down into the can and if you have a can with a clear tube, when the light goes through the tube its blue. :D blue

08-21-2001, 07:31 PM
i've heard of people running 12:1 on 416s.. i think:confused: maybe im just confused

Chef
08-21-2001, 07:39 PM
im sure you can probably find a 12:1 piston somewhere, wiseco might have one, i have never checked though. like i said before, he would have built his 440 motors with either the 11.5:1 wiseco or the 12.5:1 JE, but the with the higher comp. piston it was too much horsepower and he couldnt keep it from blowin out the head gasket. not trying to get any sarcastic comments or anything here, but with the 11.5:1 he claims 49 hp with a big gun on it, and the guy that we heard about him from had his dynoed at the shop he works at and he made that much with it, and i have the pro meg, so that should add some ponies here and there.

08-22-2001, 02:28 PM
i've got the pro meg too. i really like the setup. why does the guy put big guns on all his motors :rolleyes: o by the way have u raced any raptors? my brother and a friend are talkin about gettin raptors (their big yamaha fans) i jsut want to know what im up against.

Chef
08-22-2001, 05:40 PM
actually he is in a factory deal with big gun. He has stickers on his vehicles that say "Big gun race engines by Fletch Trick" so he has a factory thing goin on. As for raptors, dont worry about it. with what i have its not even a close race. the only raptor ive been beat by was like a $20,000 raptor 680 or something like that, far from stock.

08-22-2001, 06:40 PM
wow cool.. im sold hehehe ive been drag racing a few other quads here lately and im pretty happy with my quads performance right now. but when i get the money saved up im defintely going for the 440. i beat a modded banshee by about 3 foot but he only went to 5th gear hehe and i smoked another 400ex by about 5 or 6 quad lengths. he was piped and jetted too. but he was runnin a fmf pipe. not to mention the 2 220 bayous i raced.. LOL :D I tore them up pretty bad in 2nd hehe

skull
08-23-2001, 07:28 AM
hey EXCITING 300,
keep your 14 tooth and get some 20" rear straight paddles.
I dont have anything bad to say about any brand or anything, just think of it this way "you get what you pay for". although I got the cheapest sand paddles I could get and they've served me well. they still look brand new!
the biggest thing you want to think of is rim size. 8, 9, or 10 inch.
smaller rim= smoother ride (you can run less air to make the tires softer)
taller rim= better side wall stability (better turning, but harsher ride)

"BLAHH"300!!
08-23-2001, 11:25 AM
thanx skull-

i'll keep you in mind when i do all this- and let you know how it turns out- later man
:blah

nakomis0
08-24-2001, 05:27 PM
Thats cool I didn't know rim size affected the ride. I got 10" so it would look like I was 'rolling on Doves' just like all the pimps I see on Mtv. Shizzle my Nizzle dog, (and all that rap slang)

stevengates45
07-05-2002, 06:16 PM
I know im a little late for this post but I ride the river with Pro Wedges and i HIGHLY reccomend them!!! If your going to be riding on the sand & then occasionally some trails that are dirt along the sand bars like we do at the homochitto then the wedges are the answer for you!! I promise you wont be let down by the pro wedges at all! I know the paddles will hook more but if you cant ride on little dirt trails off to the side either. Just my 2 cents though

07-05-2002, 10:12 PM
i run 20x11x8 sand devil straight paddles on douglas 160. rims, they are 8 paddles and i can turn them really easy.

FullBore52
07-06-2002, 03:21 PM
9 paddle extreme haulers on the right, 8 paddle haulers on the left...if you've got teh horsepower to pull them...they rule!

airheadedduner
07-06-2002, 11:08 PM
It is a mith that strait paddles don't turn as well as v paddles. We did our own little test and found that they don't handle much different. Sand skates did hook up the best while comming out of the corners though. I prefer haulers though casue they don''t weigh nothin.