PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum air box????

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 02:51 AM
OK I see these aluminum air boxes for 400ex's all over e-bay, & in all the atv catalogs.

Whats the big deal??
Is it just for looks or what?
It can't be that much lighter huh??
Is it better flow than a stock box w/ no lid??--I don't see how.

Maybe this is a stupid question.
But 200 bucks just so it's shiny below your seat??

I don't get it.

Somebody enlighten me please.

If anybody can tell me why it's that great, I got use of a sheet metal shop & I could do it a lot cheaper than that w/ galvanized.

:bandit:

UglyMotha™
09-15-2003, 06:54 AM
the big benefit is it takes your battery and all you electrical componets and move them from the side of the subframe to inside the box

44oEX
09-15-2003, 07:44 AM
If you just want to move your battery out of the way do like I did and put it in front. On top of the frame that goes from the two upper shock mount. Went we can put up picture again I'll show you what I mean.

But other then for the battery yes it's just for looks cus it is heavyer then stock.

bradley300
09-15-2003, 08:16 AM
i would not buy one, everyone i have ridden with that has one has had problems on that ride, rico even went back to a stock one i think.
maybe you can build it stronger

PHIL_B54
09-15-2003, 08:39 AM
i would think the reason people have problems with them is that they dont get a good ground. i had that problem when i first put it on, remove some paint and get a good contact with the frame and youll be fine.

i did it for a couple reasons. looks great. gets rid of battery on side and keeps electrical stuff dry. this also make it a lot easier to put the fenders on. easier to get to battery to charge/maintain. yes it probibly weighs more and really wont flow more than a stock box without lid. i thought it was worth it so i got one. and i love it and would do it again.

UglyMotha™
09-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
i would not buy one, everyone i have ridden with that has one has had problems on that ride, rico even went back to a stock one i think.
maybe you can build it stronger

ya bout every alum box on the market will bust if you ride hard mine has been reworked several times the aluminum mounts just don't hold everyone of mine has busted off but i've replaced all of them with stainless steel ones now she's tough as nails :macho

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys that answers my question

since i've been here this is the first thread i've read that even mentioned battery location or water related elec issues.
( I know U relocate the batt 4 protection---race etc)

Never figured they broke a lot too.

I guess I wount be getting one.

:bandit:

sica
09-15-2003, 11:24 PM
after reading this post i went outside tonight and relocated my battery to the front on top of the bar that goes between the upper shock mounts and it took about 3 hours from start to finish but i think it was worth it not having to buy a $200 box.....

KAWSAM62
09-16-2003, 07:27 AM
do a search under my name to see some pics of the box i made pm me if you have any questions!:cool:

09-16-2003, 08:07 AM
I had one and it exploded after abuse of MX and XC racing. The CFM boxes look the best on the market if i was to buy another..

I dont' think I've ever seen one of kawsam's boxes so I can't say anything about it..

09-16-2003, 01:22 PM
what are u talkin bout u don't even ride ur quad ur always in the giggly room.:D

UglyMotha™
09-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
what are u talkin bout u don't even ride ur quad ur always in the giggly room.:D

it's a jiggly room ;)

a giggly room would be a room with a clown dancing on a pole:o

:blah:

nacs400ex
09-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Well my R's plastic airbox is pretty trashed there was a hole and a big crack in the bottom but somebody melted some plastic onto it so it wont let chit it. But Would a alumin airbox work good for the R considering it wont have a battery in it?

UglyMotha™
09-16-2003, 05:31 PM
XANDADA has experience with a alum airbox on an R