PDA

View Full Version : ARENS dropped the ball on their crf/ex frame!!!

mrusk
09-14-2003, 08:25 PM
Ever since we got the announcement about the TRX450 last month i knew Arens dropped the ball on their frame. Jnine came here and was talking about his 'crf wonder frame' last winter. All of us got pumped up for it. Then it took him to long to get it done. Now that the new TRX is out, no one is going to buy his frame. I am not bashing him. I acctually feel sorry for him. If he had this frame out in April he would of sold a ton!! I doubt he will sell any now. Pro Production and Factory teams is where its at now.
I am not trying to tick anyone off by this post. I am just stating the ovious. I hope Jnine is always on this site, becuase he has more to ofer then almost any other member here.

matt

Pappy
09-14-2003, 08:28 PM
i dunno...id still buy one:) i plan on keeping atleast one 400ex around here so it might as well get a frame when this one gets FUBAR.

but i suspect you are correct ....he missed the mark by 6 months:(

Pappy
09-14-2003, 08:29 PM
unless the new frame will take all the new trx components...then arens will be tellin ya to chit and fall back in it:eek:

nacs400ex
09-14-2003, 08:59 PM
I am with pappy on this one,

Jnine
09-14-2003, 11:20 PM
I didn't understand the last two posts, but here is something I didn't expect. Quite a few guys have been requesting we make them available for YZ 400 & 426 motors, which is VERY similar to the CRF lineup. Obviously we're definitely going to make that happen for them. As you suggested though, since we had always planned for the CRF bike motor with an EX based frame, I think it will take most of the new 450 parts also. In fact, I'm planning on it. Back on this project though, many guys also wanted to try a different linkage since they were upgrading their frame anyway, and I had to give them an answer, so I had to look into that for them. Right now we've got one with a CR500 rear linkage, but I'm also looking at the possibility of using the CR450 bike linkage as well. I have to get more dimensions on that however. D--n long project any way you look at it. Making frames takes so much time to get the CAD design worked out, program parts, make tooking, and finally get it to welding. It also takes a lot of money up front as well. In some ways I dread doing frame projects, yet tomorrow I have another meeting with a company that wants me to do a totally new design on another ATV for them, build prototypes, and then possibly do production for them as well. It's work.

09-14-2003, 11:26 PM
ill still buy one

09-14-2003, 11:30 PM
when they come out:mad: :p

wilkin250r
09-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Jnine
In some ways I dread doing frame projects, yet tomorrow I have another meeting with a company that wants me to do a totally new design on another ATV for them, build prototypes, and then possibly do production for them as well. It's work.

Am I reading this correctly, that one some bike somewhere, that an Arens frame will come stock?!? :eek2:

I could only DREAM of the day...

Dave400ex
09-16-2003, 09:08 PM
For the guys still holding on to their EX's the frame would work great. I'm sure it will sell well.

Now, the frame he could make some money off is a Z400 frame. :eek:

09-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by mrusk
Ever since we got the announcement about the TRX450 last month i knew Arens dropped the ball on their frame. Jnine came here and was talking about his 'crf wonder frame' last winter. All of us got pumped up for it. Then it took him to long to get it done. Now that the new TRX is out, no one is going to buy his frame. I am not bashing him. I acctually feel sorry for him. If he had this frame out in April he would of sold a ton!! I doubt he will sell any now. Pro Production and Factory teams is where its at now.
I am not trying to tick anyone off by this post. I am just stating the ovious. I hope Jnine is always on this site, becuase he has more to ofer then almost any other member here.

matt

Good one genius:confused2

racerx573
09-19-2003, 01:11 PM
John, use the CRF450 linkage, it is updated technology, and it's one more thing from the dirt bike you can use, but if you have one frame that accepts the EX, YZF, or CRF motor, then use the CR500 link. A few other frame makers (PRP and Walsh) use the linkage from the bike the motor came from. One more thing... I thought there wasn't an advantage to the CR linkage?? ;) Glad to see you're finally makine one. I think this will attract more pro riders to your chassis products. I wanted to see a top 10 pro on an Arens chassis for so long, so let's hope there will be 1 for 2004!!

09-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Id buy one because i could switch out the aftermarket stuff from my ex and part the rest out and save bout 3-4g and have a better uncorked yz engine in a great frame soo chit on all of u that say its not a good idea.

Rip_Tear
09-19-2003, 04:39 PM
its still a sweet arse aluminum frame! So its still all good! Best of luck John!

nuclearkielbasa
09-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Arens.... aluminum frame? I don't think so, Tim.

nacs400ex
09-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Yeah, it aint aluminum... most arent.

Tommy 17
09-19-2003, 09:40 PM
john j.w

but i thought u said a 500 link was un necessay in ur other posts about frames... what made u change ur mind...

i think u should use the linkage from the crf450f... like jay said its one more part u don't have to buy... it comes on the donor bike...

Jnine
09-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Here is how I look at the linkage debate.

If your goal is to get a stock replacement frame and save some money, then the stock linkage is the way to go. It performs pretty well, and since you already have it, you have to buy nothing new. Also, it doesn't screw up your subframe or any of the airbox/intake tract under the seat.

However, if you want to go for the premium ride, or at least one most of the pros use for whatever reason, then despite the cost and the intake issues, you have to consider a different linkage. (And a swingarm) In this case one of the large dealers requested a special production run of frames with this setup, and since I'm in the business of making parts, I had to say yes. We'll make him a great part.

Pappy
09-19-2003, 10:25 PM
any word when we will be able to buy the new frames john?

ScreaminZ400
09-20-2003, 08:44 AM
my freind dana already has one on order

airtime
09-21-2003, 01:31 PM
i would be happy if you would get away from the crappy cr250 brake petal crap and use the original honda brake petal. cr250 brake petal and bolt and return spring is $100 and it catches the kick starter every time you crank the bike (250r)

nuclearkielbasa
09-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by airtime
i would be happy if you would get away from the crappy cr250 brake petal crap and use the original honda brake petal. cr250 brake petal and bolt and return spring is $100 and it catches the kick starter every time you crank the bike (250r)

The kickstarter only snags if you have your brake pedal adjusted up too high. Move the pedal down a little (shorten the pushrod) and you shouldn't have any problem. I'd rather have a $100 brake setup than the $.68 pile of **** that Honda welded up from used farm machinery.

bmw500hp
09-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
any word when we will be able to buy the new frames john?

I would like one with the shock mount relocated for the LT Axis, is this an option and when is the anticipated release date.

Dave400ex
09-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Mike I think using a different linkage would eliminate the need for the rear shock mount to be moved up. Elka has a link now that works with the stock setup and is suppose to work well.

bmw500hp
09-24-2003, 09:47 PM
hmmm...yes this is true, if i understand the concept, we are gaining travel by a change of the lower mount rather than the upper. This seems a very good concept. Certainly much easier than upper mount relocation. Wonder if anyone has done the mod yet!

Jeff, if you read this, please offer a little technical detail and "seat of the pants" info on the new product :D

Dave400ex
09-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Yeah I'm also interested to hear how the mod helps. I believe the link is $200 and then you would need new springs and may be some other stuff but I forget.