PDA

View Full Version : Question about paddles

hawiianpwr
09-14-2003, 01:13 PM
I have a couple of qeustions.
First Question
I have a 400ex with the normal mods. I want to find an all around tire that I can go through trails but still good for the drags. I've heard that V-pattern is easier to turn and straight obviously for going straight. Is it really that hard to turn with straight?

Second question
We usually getting alot of snow around here. Would I be able to use paddles in the snow or will I just rip them up?

Here are some that I am looking at
Gecko
Kenda Dune runner
Kenda Trakker
GBC Sand Shark
GBC Sand Devil
GBC Paddle Master- This one looks like a good choice for what I want in the snow but it looks too heavy for the snow

Thanks ahead of time

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-14-2003, 03:20 PM
We have had good luck with the sand sharks (that is what I run on the 400) and the Gecko (ran on the Cannondale). I can only give advice on these they hook up well and are pretty inexpensive. I haven't used them in the snow.

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 03:17 AM
I've never run paddles but I know a few of my friends do.

The best set up if you want to run trails-dirt-hardpack too is some chevron style paddles, the kind that are shallow padddles & meet in the midddle of the tire.

That way u can get the paddle action in the sand, and turn em backwards in the dirt & u wont tear chunks out of the paddles.

This is just what i've seen some of my friend's use when they are switching between sand & dirt riding a lot.

Don't know much about snow here down south.

:bandit:

09-15-2003, 01:21 PM
jsu get a set of realetors u can go one way for sand then flip em n they work for awesome hookup for sand also

plus i got a pair for sale they r only a month old to 75 shipped to ur door they still hav the ripples on them they r 22-12-9

wilkin250r
09-15-2003, 02:14 PM
I hope I'm understanding this right.

First off, you don't want to run paddles in anything but sand. If you run them on hard pack, any way you put them whether they're straight or "V", fowards or backwards, it will be a very bumpy ride, lousy traction, and you will tear them up.

Supposedly, the "V" gives you better side traction in the sand, which can be important when traversing across the side of a hill or controlling your back end in a hard corner.

You can use paddles in soft snow, but not on hard-pack snow, same as sand vs hard-pack dirt. If you are in soft snow, if it is deeper than 6 inches, you are going to have a hard go at it, paddles or not.

hawiianpwr
09-15-2003, 04:17 PM
So what do you guys think would be the best tire out of what I got listed?

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I hope I'm understanding this right.

First off, you don't want to run paddles in anything but sand. If you run them on hard pack, any way you put them whether they're straight or "V", fowards or backwards, it will be a very bumpy ride, lousy traction, and you will tear them up.

Supposedly, the "V" gives you better side traction in the sand, which can be important when traversing across the side of a hill or controlling your back end in a hard corner.

You can use paddles in soft snow, but not on hard-pack snow, same as sand vs hard-pack dirt. If you are in soft snow, if it is deeper than 6 inches, you are going to have a hard go at it, paddles or not.

Yeah The tires im talkin about are different, they dont have big like 3-4 inch deep paddles.
I know the V tires U mean & thats not what im talkin about.
I'll see if I can dig up more info.

QuadJunkies
09-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Realtors.... for snow I wouldnt buy a paddle, but if you insist on a paddle. domt buy a straight paddle go with a V pattern

lil400exman
09-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302
Yeah The tires im talkin about are different, they dont have big like 3-4 inch deep paddles.
I know the V tires U mean & thats not what im talkin about.
I'll see if I can dig up more info.
they are called maxxis 4 snows. A quite innovate tire. on top end the tire oute dia. increses 40% like a ohtsu pro wedge which is hot in drags but 4-snows have more expansion thus giving you a expandable gear which is great in ever condtion imo!:)

hawiianpwr
09-17-2003, 07:39 PM
would 6 paddles be enough or should I just go ahead and get the 8 paddle?

JOEX
09-17-2003, 09:17 PM
I use 8 paddle Haulers on my 400 with the basic mods and have no problems. Well, one problem but that is another story:p I prefer the straight paddle for the added security for hill climbing;)

Joe

quadrcr87
09-17-2003, 10:01 PM
if your looking for a V paddle look at the sand skate II by sand tires unlimited

QuadJunkies
09-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I use 8 paddle Haulers on my 400 with the basic mods and have no problems. Well, one problem but that is another story:p I prefer the straight paddle for the added security for hill climbing;)

Joe 8 paddle straights for me too!!! love the roost it puts out too........hehe:blah: :macho

ewalker302
09-18-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
I have a 400ex with the normal mods. I want to find an all around tire that I can go through trails but still good for the drags. I've heard that V-pattern is easier to turn and straight obviously for going straight. Is it really that hard to turn with straight?

Do you still want tires that u can trail ride with???

If so you will tear these paddles to bits in no time..

Unless all your trails are sand 2

hawiianpwr
09-18-2003, 03:03 PM
yeah the trails are sand too

JOEX
09-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
8 paddle straights for me too!!! love the roost it puts out too........hehe:blah: :macho
LOL! Whoever is behind me sure doesn't like them!:devil: :macho

Joe

jamiesel
09-18-2003, 09:30 PM
I recommend the new itp sand stars. They are cheap and next level performance from all the tires you listed. 50.00 each.

smimotorsports.com will give you an indication of what you will spend from a discount tire supplier.

JOEX
09-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by jamiesel
I recommend the new itp sand stars. They are cheap and next level performance from all the tires you listed. 50.00 each.

smimotorsports.com will give you an indication of what you will spend from a discount tire supplier.
SMI Motorsports is right down the road from me.....
Are you from this area?

Joe

hawiianpwr
09-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Yeah I think I'm goin to get the new sandstars. I'm going to give C&D a call. Thanks for the replies everyone

RuffRyder400ex
09-19-2003, 05:40 PM
i use sur trax and they hook up good in snow sand mudd and trails and i mostly ride sand and trails.