PDA

View Full Version : Grips wont stick with ANYTHING....What to do...

QuadJunkies
09-14-2003, 12:45 PM
WEll since about week Two, the STOCK Predator grips keeping moving around, We have tried Renthal glue, shoe glue(which seems to work better IMO than the Renthal)Paint, hairspray......NOTHING is holding them in place!!:mad: I think this may have a little to Do With Troys wrists bothering him lately.Any ideas what to try? Thanks!:)

Pappy
09-14-2003, 01:02 PM
3M weatherstrip adhesive....and when its dry...wire them

240GNCC400
09-14-2003, 05:32 PM
wrap friction tape around the bar where the grips will be. get the tape wet with gasoline to slide the grips on. when it dries put some wire on it to be safe.

300EXrider02
09-14-2003, 07:28 PM
or just apply regular gasonline on the grips and let them sit for 24 hours

it is probally the fact you dont leave them to dry long enough:)

AtvMxRider
09-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
3M weatherstrip adhesive....and when its dry...wire them

Pvt. Maggot
09-14-2003, 08:40 PM
spray glue for tiles :)

310Rduner
09-14-2003, 09:59 PM
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/accessoriesdetail/product=61060/levelcode=5922/catalog=769/Arctic+Cat+ATV/Grip-It+Glue/accessories61060.htm

This is the god of grip glues.. i use it on all the things around the house that need glueing too. They are serious when they saay dries in 10-25 seconds, need to really slam the grips on fast.:eek:

I put this on, then wire it and they will never be loose again.

QuadJunkies
09-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies!! Ill give it a shot........;)

QuadJunkies
09-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
or just apply regular gasonline on the grips and let them sit for 24 hours

it is probally the fact you dont leave them to dry long enough:) They have set for over a week before before riding.So Im sure theywere dry..;)

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 03:27 AM
This always works for me & cheap 2

Rough up the bar surface a little w/ some course sandpaper,
spray on a coat of spray paint (any colour will do) let it get just a little tacky maybe 1 minute or so then give it 1 quick shot into the grip so it slips on easy, let it dry overnight.

I had to cut off my last set I did this to after the grips wore down.

:bandit:

seven
09-15-2003, 05:42 AM
Get new grips then try some of the above. The best thing to work for me is clear spray paint.

SLB400EX
09-15-2003, 06:11 AM
Can't add anything new Tina ... except that since Rob wired my grips, I haven't had one bit of trouble with them coming loose. And I was having serious issues w/ them loosening up on me. LOL. Only took him a few minutes too...

QuadJunkies
09-15-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302
This always works for me & cheap 2

Rough up the bar surface a little w/ some course sandpaper,
spray on a coat of spray paint (any colour will do) let it get just a little tacky maybe 1 minute or so then give it 1 quick shot into the grip so it slips on easy, let it dry overnight.

I had to cut off my last set I did this to after the grips wore down.

:bandit: He talked about trying to ruff them up too thanks,we will give it a shot in addition to the other ideas.....:)

RytM1
09-15-2003, 07:02 AM
Golf club grip tape and grip solvent. You can get it through www.golfsmith.com . It's a double-sided tape. After you stick it on the bars, you pour a small amount of grip solvent in the grip and shake it around. You then pour the solvent out onto the taped handlebar, and slip the grip on. Should be set-up and ready to go within 15-20 minutes. I have done this on my last two sets of grips, and they haven't moved on me yet (and I haven't had the need to wire them either).

spincr4hire
09-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Epoxy, the kind you have to mix together, works great.

KASCHAK
09-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
Epoxy, the kind you have to mix together, works great.

i agree its the best takes like 10 minutes to dry.

just mix it and wait till it starts to get a lil more thicker thne put is on the bars on the top a lil and slide the grip on and move it around a couple times then let dry! you need to scrape the grips off next time ohh and use a lil sand paper to make the bars a lil rough

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by RytM1
Golf club grip tape and grip solvent. You can get it through www.golfsmith.com . It's a double-sided tape. After you stick it on the bars, you pour a small amount of grip solvent in the grip and shake it around. You then pour the solvent out onto the taped handlebar, and slip the grip on. Should be set-up and ready to go within 15-20 minutes. I have done this on my last two sets of grips, and they haven't moved on me yet (and I haven't had the need to wire them either).

Yeah I bet that would work great.

But just use masking tape & ronsonol (lighter fluid) thats all the special golf stuff is.

I've always used this on my golf grips, & that sticks tight as hell.

never thought about doin it on my bike grips tho.
I will next time.

:bandit:

RytM1
09-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks. It's the only thing I have found so far that would keep my grips on my Renthals for more than a few hours. For some reason, the things that work with grips on stock bars, hasn't worked for me on the Renthals. The cool thing about the grip tape is that you can get it in the pre-cut strips (about 12" long). They pack into the toolbox real easy compared to buying it by the roll.

09-16-2003, 08:16 AM
Pound the mofo's on dry, then wire them down. never have too worry about anything not adhereing, or drying or blah blah blah. :blah:

remlapr
09-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Pound the mofo's on dry, then wire them down. never have too worry about anything not adhereing, or drying or blah blah blah. :blah:

if you want to put them on dry you can use an air compressor. Have one person put their palm over the end, slide the nozzle under the flange end and hit the air and have the person push with their palm. We used to do this on our BMX bikes sometimes. Seemed to work better with some grips then others though.

SLB400EX
09-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Rico

Yep..
what he said... ^^
only we did use a tad bit of renthal glue..
but wiring them is the way to go.
IMHO anyhow..

RideRedEX
09-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Go to the Hardware store and find Gorilla Glue. It worked on mine.

DEAL
09-16-2003, 02:38 PM
I use electrical tape underneith the grips with hairspray on it.

hondamxer161
09-16-2003, 08:09 PM
i just got tag grips, put em on dry, three wires...ran em right then. good to go!

mike

cletusEX
09-16-2003, 08:34 PM
The only thing I ever do is wire them and have never had a problem with the grips moving at all.

Fred55
09-16-2003, 08:51 PM
My preds grips were worn out and I was riding at a friends and he had some brand new grips laying around that came off his Trek Fuel 98. So we took the old ones off with an air comp. and but on the new ones with the compresser....no glue..and they are still on great! havnt moved once and they have gotton wet!

400exride.red
09-25-2003, 10:18 PM
i used a product called high tack availible from napa grip glue and lots of others didnt work for me was a motha too clean off when i went twist throttle though goo every where

QuadJunkies
09-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
My preds grips were worn out and I was riding at a friends and he had some brand new grips laying around that came off his Trek Fuel 98. So we took the old ones off with an air comp. and but on the new ones with the compresser....no glue..and they are still on great! havnt moved once and they have gotton wet! hey Fred... did you notice on the Predator, not alot to work with wire on them????:confused: Looks like my grips are moving around more now too....:grr: time to try it on mine now.......

stupid driver
09-26-2003, 11:55 PM
i've always used super hold hair spray, and a little weatherstrip adhesive on the ends. THis has alsways worked for me .

NTPRacing#19
09-27-2003, 06:28 PM
you guys may think this wont work but AMSOIL Chain and Metal protector works awesome!! its a chain lube/wax and you spray just enough in the grip and squish it around and then put it on the bars slide it back off whipe away excess lube then slide it back on then pull back off until excess is totally gone then slide on again and twist back and forth till its solid

Dupontster
09-27-2003, 07:00 PM
spray spray paint in the grip and let sit

QuadJunkies
09-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Dupontster
spray spray paint in the grip and let sit I already posted that NEITHER of these work( Hairspray and Paint).....;) :(

JOEX
09-27-2003, 08:15 PM
I put a set of MSR dcx Gel grips on earlier this year. They were very tight going on. All I used is safty wire, they do not move at all.

Joe

AlaskaSpeed
09-27-2003, 09:20 PM
I switched to Odi's and they don't use glue...stick better than any grip I ever had.......JIM

Bill Fuller
09-27-2003, 09:40 PM
I use Industrial Strength Goop (that is really the name) and literally have to cut the grips off.One trick I have learned is to take a saw zaw with a metal blade of course and "rough" up both sides of the bars.A hack saw will work if you dont have a saw zaw.Rough it up not cut through it:D

Ralph
09-28-2003, 10:15 AM
clean the bars off with some rubing alchohol and then spray some "form-a-gasket" in the grip and push the grip on,, also spray a lil on the bars... if it dosnt work i dunno what to tell you...

k2-dawg
10-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
if you want to put them on dry you can use an air compressor. Have one person put their palm over the end, slide the nozzle under the flange end and hit the air and have the person push with their palm. We used to do this on our BMX bikes sometimes. Seemed to work better with some grips then others though.

^^What he said, but then safety wire 'em.... This method has worked for me, 6+ mos running on same grips and no slippage. And I've been thru some muddy ***** wet chit too!!!

jlhughes750
10-03-2003, 07:02 PM
i use brake clean and clean the grip and bars real good. then take a lil paint and spray in the grip, slide it on spin it, get the air outta the end by drilling a small hole in the end of the grip. wire it on and go.

OR same as above but use 3M weatherstrip adhesive, same procedure just substitue the 3m for the paint.

the paint actually brake down the rubber a lil. then acts as a lube(hahaha) then drys quik and sticks......
the 3M way takes a lil longer to dry thats all..

Hairspray- ahhhhh they all vary too much with ingredients to rely on it. stay away from that.

Toadz400
10-03-2003, 08:55 PM
new handlebars,new grips, and some good grip glue, and wire it down...works like a charm:D ;)

10-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Rico said it best, put em on dry and wire tie em..

Ill add to it by saying clean the handle bars with brake cleaner, get all that crap off the bars. Then rough up the bars, get a NEW pair of grips with no crap inside them from trying 2-4 different glues...

if you make sure the bars are free of crap putting them on dry with wire is the best way to go, if you want to ad a little grip glue go ahead, some grips melt with certain glues. so be careful..

Im with rico on this though, ive been doing it it this way for a loong time..

oh yea, tie the grips with wire in 3 places, preferably each end and center:cool:

cheetah
10-04-2003, 10:07 AM
It took me a whole tube of crazy glue and I don't think they are coming off now.

BTW I guess I'm stupid, but how do you go about wiring your grips on?

QuadJunkies
10-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by BeeeRock!
Rico said it best, put em on dry and wire tie em..

Ill add to it by saying clean the handle bars with brake cleaner, get all that crap off the bars. Then rough up the bars, get a NEW pair of grips with no crap inside them from trying 2-4 different glues...

if you make sure the bars are free of crap putting them on dry with wire is the best way to go, if you want to ad a little grip glue go ahead, some grips melt with certain glues. so be careful..

Im with rico on this though, ive been doing it it this way for a loong time..

oh yea, tie the grips with wire in 3 places, preferably each end and center:cool: Thanks BEEE.....:)

Roff333
10-07-2003, 09:18 PM
i use remote control tire glue tuffest stuff i have ever used if u want my dad sells it i think its like 4 buck let me know stuff is awesome i won't use anything else

10-08-2003, 07:59 PM
really how do u wire ur grips? I know they make a tool but do u have to buy it??? Also what gauge wire do u use?? Thanks

JOEX
10-08-2003, 08:35 PM
The wire is stainless steel .032 dia.

I just used needle nosed pliers. Wrapped it around twice and twisted the ends together. Don't twist too many times 'cause the wire will break;) :p I also made sure the twisted part was in an area the the hand don't contact much. I'm not sure if this is the 'right' way to do it but my grips don't move:)

Joe

300EXrider02
10-09-2003, 01:40 PM
doesnt matter what size wire to use, just get some wire

then wrap it at the ends and middle, and trwist it 3 or 4 times, its not going to break unless you twist for like 10+ times...

press the wire down that is sticking up after you twist it, to the grip....so you dont cut yourself

its really self explainitory....dont know why you are asking "how" to wire the grips, just common sense

10-09-2003, 06:28 PM
jeez dude i just wanted some opnions on the best way to do it no need to be an *** about it.

silverbullet300
10-09-2003, 06:54 PM
i all ways use a little dish detergent to help them slide on easier but wait a long while for it to dry and then they should stick that works for me.

JOEX
10-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Any wire will work.... but Stainless steel doesn't rust.

.032 Stainless steel is what is sold as 'safty wire'

Joe

AtvMxRider
10-10-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02

its really self explainitory....dont know why you are asking "how" to wire the grips, just common sense

Well maybe not everybody is as smart as you:rolleyes: He just asked a question so give him break.

10-10-2003, 09:54 PM
thanks jerry. I was just wantin to know if there are any tricks to doing it.