PDA

View Full Version : when is your chain TOO loose?

300EXrider02
09-13-2003, 09:33 PM
I just wanna know if it is a bad thing to have your chain a little more loose than normal, what can happen or what is happening,

how do I know what is the right setting...?

thanks for any input

flyin#5
09-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
I just wanna know if it is a bad thing to have your chain a little more loose than normal, what can happen or what is happening,

how do I know what is the right setting...?

thanks for any input

read your manual:blah:

09-13-2003, 09:56 PM
i run about 1.5+ in my chain i think the only disadvatnage is that the chain could come off eaiser. I dunno though its never came off on me.

300EXrider02
09-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
read your manual:blah:

that was an educated answer:rolleyes:

310Rduner
09-14-2003, 01:48 AM
If there is too much slop in the chain, it will prematurely wear the drive chain components.

You should check with some weight on the quad, just to get an idea of how tight it will become with the adjustment you have it at.

R-Crazy
09-14-2003, 06:36 AM
to check my chain slack, i jump on the grab bar and compress the rear sock as much as i can. then let the weight off and check the slack with the shock still in a slightly compressed position. depending on the quad, adjust your slack appropriately. if it is too loose, it will fall off, to tight and it will break. just right and your fine!

dave

300EXrider02
09-14-2003, 07:32 AM
well I think I am good, no where near falling off, and not ripping tight, it becomes tight when you jump or sit on the grab bar....thanks

09-14-2003, 09:49 AM
when it rubs against the swingarm when your riding like mine :( I Hope its just the chain & nothing with the carrier beause i tighten it up & then like 10 minutes its loose again. Also, is it a bad thing when your rotor is just a little bit loose to the left & right.

HCR250X
09-14-2003, 09:57 AM
I need to tighten my chain on my 250x but I heard it is a true pain to do. It is not insanely loose or anything but it could stand to be a little tighter. I am not sure how to do this but I have heard you need a special tool. By the way, i have yet to pick up a manuel for it so that doesn't help. What am i supposed to do??? Is it really hard??

sickmojave
09-14-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
Also, is it a bad thing when your rotor is just a little bit loose to the left & right.

my mojave would do this when the main axle nut was lose.:ermm:

300EXrider02
09-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by HCR250X
I need to tighten my chain on my 250x but I heard it is a true pain to do. It is not insanely loose or anything but it could stand to be a little tighter. I am not sure how to do this but I have heard you need a special tool. By the way, i have yet to pick up a manuel for it so that doesn't help. What am i supposed to do??? Is it really hard??

you dont need any kind of tool, although your axle carrier might be rusted ove rthe years and might be very hard to move, but try it
loosen the 2 allen bolts on the end of your swing-arms, and take a screw driver or something and put it in the axle carrier notch next to your rear sprocket, push it towards the quad to loosen it, towards you or down to tighten it

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 02:25 AM
Re: Re: when is your chain TOO loose?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
read your manual
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that was an educated answer

Yeah it was a lot smarter then your question.
If u cant tell when 2 tighten your chain u got no business postin smart *** comments.

keep flyin #5
:bandit:

wilkin250r
09-15-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by HCR250X

Tightening the the chain is a very easy adjustment, as long as everything is in good condition and not rusted solid.

At the back of your swingarm are a few allen bolts. These squeeze your bearing carrier (which holds your axle) so it doesn't move. Loosen these up.

There are three holes on your bearing carrier right next to your sprocket. Put a screwdriver or something into one of these holes to act as a lever so that you can rotate your bearing carrier. Rotate it towards the back of your quad to tighten the chain.

Without anybody sitting on the quad, the chain should move up and down (perpendicular to the direction of the chain) between 1 inch, and 1.5 inches.

Tighten the allen bolts on the swingarm again, and you're done.

300EXrider02
09-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ewalker302
Re: Re: when is your chain TOO loose?

quote:
read your manual

that was an educated answer

Yeah it was a lot smarter then your question.
If u cant tell when 2 tighten your chain u got no business postin smart *** comments.

keep flyin #5

doesnt really help when you cant find it and even when I had it all it said was it should have like 1 and 1/4 slack, what is that supposed to mean, If I wanted to use my manual and finf it I would, but I didnt and would rather come here, why do you think I am posting, that is why it was uneducated

310Rduner
09-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Chances are, depending on the condition of the carrier slots, it would be much easier to use a Spanner, or anything else large enough to grip it. The slots on my R carrier are pretty soft, and you can easily start rounding the edges. Or just have a really big lever that fits the slot pretty well so it cant move around or slip.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but you want to bring it towards you to tighten, and turn it forwards to loosen.

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 08:12 PM
doesnt really help when you cant find it and even when I had it all it said was it should have like 1 and 1/4 slack, what is that supposed to mean, If I wanted to use my manual and finf it I would, but I didnt and would rather come here, why do you think I am posting, that is why it was uneducated

So what??
The guy was trying to help & no it wasn't an uneducated post.

Hmmm what the hell could 1 1/4 mean.

Thats' a toughie, try inches smart guy.

300EXrider02
09-15-2003, 08:14 PM
dont need to be a smartazz now, I did nothing to offend you

i know it means 1 and 1/4 inches slack, but I dont really know how to measure that , or what they are talking about, from like where the chain is to where it has tension?

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Yeah man, it just means an inch & a half of play---up, down movement.
You will be able to eyeball it pretty easy once u check it w a ruler once & see how it feels.

You certainly dont have to worry about it being exactly that either u got a good bit of range there.

Im not trying to be a smartazz but don't come with a question like how do I know my chain is loose, then call people who reply uneducated...

Also try this sites search feature when u got simple questions like that.

You'll get lot's of info & right away too.

09-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Also try this sites search feature when u got simple questions like that.

You'll get lot's of info & right away too.

Cool this is now your job and I fully resign from being in charge of telling everyone that there is a search engine here :D :eek2:

Funny how no one like the search :(

TORO1968
09-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Funny how no one like the search :(

I like the search! :)

quadfamily
09-15-2003, 11:07 PM
carefull with that large prybar in the slots of the carrier, I cracked a carrier that way!

300EXrider02
09-16-2003, 01:10 PM
funny that I DID search and half of the threads were half BS

just oike half of this site is BS, this wasnt meatn to be a huger thread, it was just a quick question, I thank you for your help, and now I do not need anymore, thread should be over

Mr_Bub400ex
09-16-2003, 05:06 PM
ur brake rotor should have like a mm of movement from side to side, any more and ur axle nut is a bit loose.

ewalker302
09-16-2003, 06:39 PM
bump

daredevilearth
12-12-2005, 07:32 PM
wilkin250r- What if my bearing carrier doesnt turn like you said. Anybody got any suggestions or tricks to break it loose? Thanks for any input.

hardkoratvmxr
12-12-2005, 07:45 PM
isnt it like a 1 and a 1/4" play in a chain i run a little under a quter right when i get a new chain and run a little over a quarter when it is broken in

TacomaNC4X4
12-12-2005, 09:24 PM
i use the 3 finger rule

bwamos
12-13-2005, 08:05 AM

Don't know if it got answered, probably lost it in all the arguing. ;)

But, the 1-1/4" is measured at mid chain between the front and rear sprocket. Set a ruller down on the skid plate, pointing up, and move the chain up and down. It should move up and down between 1 to 1-1/2"

Hope that helps.

Also, it it's been a long time, you may have a hard time moving the carrier due to dirt and debris. Loosen the tightening bolts way up. Get a squirt bottle with some alcohol in it and squirt it between the housing and the carrier. DO NOT USE WD-40, you dont want a lubricant. ;) The alcohol will help it move, but it will quickly evaporate and allow a good grip so it wont loosen up under stress.

wilkin250r
12-13-2005, 10:24 AM
bwamos, no offense, but that post is two years old.

The thread was brought back to life with a new question:

Originally posted by daredevilearth
wilkin250r- What if my bearing carrier doesnt turn like you said. Anybody got any suggestions or tricks to break it loose? Thanks for any input.

If it doesn't turn, it means it's starting to rust and seize inside there. At that point, you have one of three options:

1. Leave it alone until it breaks.

2. Force it, and risk breaking it (but it also may fix it).

3. Tear the whole thing down and fix it.

I'll admit it, I generally try option #2 first. It's risky. Either I fix the problem temporarily, or I end up breaking it.

If you leave it, there is a risk the chain could come off, or increase the possibility of the chain breaking. Breaking the chain could be really severe. It could whip around and crack the engine case, or it could break at a REALLY bad time, like approaching a jump or while on a dangerous hill climb.

I don't really have any good advice on how to force it, should you choose that route, except a large spanner wrench. Should you choose this option, you're on your own. :ermm:

bwamos
12-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Dangit, they got me again!!!! lol.

No offense taken.. lol. Thanks for the correction bro. ;)