PDA

View Full Version : Switch to Synthetic or not to switch

300EXrider02
09-13-2003, 09:30 PM
I need to know if I should be switching to synthetic oils yet. My 300 is a 2002 which was bought in may of 2002, about 55 hours possibly on it maybe more or less....make that 60

I am always taken awesome care, change filter and oil every few gas tank fulls....

I am wondering the advantages and disadvantages, or if is to early to run synthetic...

which kinds to run and so on and so forth, lets get some fresh info and ideas

and dont say anything about searching for this...there is a reason I am posting rather than searching!:)

nakomis0
09-13-2003, 10:25 PM
I dont really care for synthetics to much, i get clutch slippage if I use it.

You have plenty of hours on that motor to switch to synthetics if you want. Try it out, if you get any slippage just go back to reg. oil and change it more often.

The440Exorcist
09-13-2003, 11:21 PM
I say go for it, there are alot of people on the boar running mobil 1 15-50(red cap) with no problems(myself included). and like nakomis said, if you get clutch slippage just switch back to regular.

09-13-2003, 11:44 PM
i heard you cant switch back to regular once you go synethic

stupid driver
09-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
i heard you cant switch back to regular once you go synethic

due to the newer oils on the market, it doesnt hurt your motor to switch them anymore. I asked 3 mechanics the same question, and got this answer every time.

ewalker302
09-14-2003, 12:10 AM
You can switch to synthetics as soon as the break in period is over so you are fine.

Cons-
Synthetic oil is made up of smaller particles thereby it will leak from a smaller hole. This is almost never a problem unless you already have a leak using reg oil. More synthetic will leak from the same size hole.

Synthetic is of course more expensive.

Some people say synthetics run hotter??? But I don't know

Pros-
Synthetic oil is made up of smaller particles (again). So it will fill more of the fine abrasion marks every engine has no matter how good its been taken care of, giving it more protection where metal hits metal.

Being made up of smaller particles also means less friction which means a slight increase in efficiency----power.

Synthetic oils tend to maintain their viscocity or not break down as fast as reg oils, and can sustain higher temeratures generally.

I'll bet there is plenty more im leaving out, this is just the stuff im pretty certain about.

Having said that-----------

I use reg oil in my 400 & change it & my filter as soon as it starts to get dark.
In my opinion whats really important is the frequency &, not the oil so much.

I guess I'm just set in my ways, I bought a 250SX three wheeler brand new in 86 & put it through hell the way only a 14 year old with a new bike can.
I only changed the oil when I got water in the crankcase, & I didnt even know it had a oil filter for like the first 5 years.
I've had to replace the ring, pinion, axle, and all the rear bearings from runnin through so much water & sand, hell I would just park it in th middle of the creek & let it sit there cause it looked cool, I didn't know any better.

The point is I only ran reg oil in it the engine has never been into no rings nothing.
Sure its not real pretty, but it still dosent smoke & runs like new.

But uuh anyway (what was that question again), If you switch to synthetic, get mobil1 with the red cap on top, this im 100% on.

& dont listen to the clutch problem storys, if u use the right stuff (red cap) you will be golden.

Also it's not a problem for the reg & syn to mix a little, so you don't have to be anal about getting every drop out.

Some still say not to mix it at all, but this is just b/c it was true when synthetics were a new thing & they had'nt got the formulas just right yet.

Man, I gotta learn when to stop.
:bandit:

300EXrider02
09-14-2003, 07:28 AM
thanks a lot everyone, especially ewalker, but any more input?

what does everyone use in there quad, have anyone tried both? which do they like?

does the engine run hotter with synthetic? thanks again

Greg Z
09-14-2003, 08:06 AM
no the engine wont run hotter:eek:

09-14-2003, 09:25 AM
im gonna get one of those huge things of mobil 1 next time for $20 from wallmart....thanx for the info. i guess im going synthetic :D

Greg Z
09-14-2003, 09:35 AM
make sure its 15w5- SuperSyn i got 3 bottels for 10 dollars :D

swamprider7
09-14-2003, 02:49 PM
I use mobil1 15w50 (red cap) and it works great. It does not seem to run any hotter than regular oil. I have had NO CLUTCH PROBLEMS. There are tons of members on here that are using it. It doesn't break down as easily (it maintains viscosity) as regular oil either. Since it is 50 weight oil, just be sure to warm up your motor thouroghly before using at high rpms.

300EXrider02
09-14-2003, 05:18 PM
and what will happen if you dont warm it up "properly"?

thanks

also, are there any other thing i should be aware of before using synthetics?

stupid driver
09-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
and what will happen if you dont warm it up "properly"?

thanks

also, are there any other thing i should be aware of before using synthetics?

the oil will be very thick, and it wont flow through the engine very well. One good thing about synthetics, they heat up to their viscosity (sp?) quickly. A cupple minutes at about 3000 rpm, and you should be good

wheeltrax
09-14-2003, 09:23 PM
anyone try the amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil, i have 3 quarts of it, just wondering if anyone has tried it?

Greg Z
09-14-2003, 09:39 PM
how many quartz does a 400ex need to have?

ewalker302
09-14-2003, 11:23 PM
Engine oil capacity
With filter change - 1.9 Quarts (1.8 liters)
Without filter change - 1.95 Quarts (1.85 liters)
After Engine dissasembly - 2.3 Quarts (2.2 liters)

From 1'st page
Service manual

Why more oil w/o filter change????
:bandit:

MXQUAD294
09-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Try Klotz MX-4. It's made for 4-stroke motocross bikes and wet clutch applications. It's all I use- I have no problems with clutch slipage.

meanyellow03ex
09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
i bought the honda hp-4 which i will switch to after break-in. It is recommended in the owners manual as well as the regular gn-4. just make sure it doesn't have moly addidtives as this will cause clutch slippage.

mntly_imptnt
09-15-2003, 06:00 PM
hp4m with moly is recomended for the 400ex because of the extreme heat, transmission, and clutch. it is the only way to go. it is all i use, and have never had clutch slippage. hondas are reliable for a reason. they care about engine life. just my 2 cents. good luck