PDA

View Full Version : adjusting valve question...

Glamis400ex
09-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Ok, thanks to Big D Racing for helping me with my clutch...all is well there. And I just put the finishing touches on the Jegs oil cooler kit.

Here's the small problem...now since I have re-installed my valve cover, I went to adjust the valves and something is wrong.

I know you are supposed to have a tiny amount of play when you are at TCD with you rocker arm when you adjust the valves. (thats how you know you're at TDC) Well, I don't have that, and I double checked the "T" at the timing mark. I unscrew the adjuster and turn out the screw and still cannot get a feeler gauge in there...I'm stumped.

I don't want to keep spinning the cylinder up and down because I have any oil in it, due to the cooler install...

The only thing I've done different is re-torqued my exhaust stud bolt since it was loose. I set it at 35 ft/lbs

Hope someone can help before I screw it up...

Glamis

exman
09-13-2003, 02:51 PM
go one mre full counter clockwise turn and that should do the trick

ewalker302
09-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Put a teaspoon of 90 weight or just motor oil down your spark plug hole to keep from runnin your cylinder dry.

The oil will drain down & wont stay on top of your piston.

Then U got it -- a lubed cylinder.
Now get them valves right.
:bandit:

exman
09-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Just finished doing valves on 400, pretty easy, except for plastic , took longer for that than anything, tickin noise is gone oh ya

terko440
09-13-2003, 05:20 PM
yeah, what exman said, make sure you are on the correct stroke(top of compression i believe) Dont have my manuel handy so correct me if I'm wrong guys. .004 for the intake and .005 for exaust. If you still have stock cam that is.

swamprider7
09-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by terko440
yeah, what exman said, make sure you are on the correct stroke(top of compression i believe) Dont have my manuel handy so correct me if I'm wrong guys. .004 for the intake and .005 for exaust. If you still have stock cam that is.

He's right, you are on the wrong stroke. Turn it until it is at the "T" again.

Glamis400ex
09-13-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I've done the valves several times but for some reason they wouldnt loosen up at the sub rockers.

1 more spin did the trick.

BTW...I do .005 and .006 with my Hotcam 2

Glamis

exman
09-13-2003, 06:58 PM
good deal, now you will be ready to mash that throttle hahahaha

KAWSAM62
09-14-2003, 09:44 AM
small trick, to find the compression stroke watch for the intake valves to open, carb side rocker arms,then they close, you are now on the compresion stroke and can line up your t mark, the rocker arms exh and intake should be loose!:D

Glamis400ex
09-14-2003, 10:31 AM
I was watching for that as well when I was doing them..

Glamis