PDA

View Full Version : circlip fell into crankcase!!!!

willjoe86
09-13-2003, 12:04 PM
Alright-Im really in a jam now- I was replacing the piston on my 250x, and I dropped a circlip into the crankcase:mad:

Now what? Do I really have to split the cases? Or maybe I can stick a magnet in there? Or will it sink to the bottom and maybe I can somehow get it out of the oil drain hole????

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas
Thanks in advance
Will

KAWSAM62
09-13-2003, 12:25 PM
see if you can find it and use a magnet to remove it or turn the engine up side down and shake maybe it will drop out good luck!:(

willjoe86
09-13-2003, 12:28 PM
thanks
anyone else have any ideas???
Will

ewalker302
09-13-2003, 01:07 PM
You can get an extendable magnet at any auto parts store that is thin and extends out like a car antenna.

I got 1 & its saved my but many times.

If that dont work i'd try puttin the bike on a stand & remoning just the side covers & both oil drain holes.

Then just keep runnin oil though it.

I dont think it will hurt anything to put the bike in 4th & very slowly turn the rear tire some to maybe get it in the oil flow.

but if u already got the piston & head out U should be able to get it out with a magnet like that one.

if U havent moved the bike around any.

check your service manual.
I know that a 400 has a flat oil screen-filter on the right?? side inside the case on the bottom.

If yours has one, the clip may end up there after runnin some oil through it.

Good luck
:bandit:

the yella yeti
09-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Listen to ewalker.
I dropped one of my circlips in the crank on my first rebuild.
I thought I was doomed at first, but then my dad immediately whipped out the long, antenna-like magnet described by ewalker. All was well in about 5 seconds.:D

stupid driver
09-14-2003, 07:49 AM
have you seen them ones w/ the built in light inside of the magnet. They are sweet. They look like they would really work

44oEX
09-14-2003, 08:23 AM
Just a little hint for anybody planing on doing a motor job when you put the clips in put a old rag over the hole so it can go in your base. Works for me

willjoe86
09-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone!!!
I tried the magnet trick and it worked-even though it was just a magnet on a string-a telescopic magnet or whatever would probably work better.
I was lucky that the circlip dropped onto a ledge or something and didnt drop to the bottom!
Thanks again
Will

F-16Guy
09-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Put a rag around the opening of your crankcase while installing the circlips, that will prevent what just happened.

Krazy Kid
09-16-2003, 08:16 PM
ya i dropped the circlip into my case when i put the new stuff in my 3 wheeler....i tried the magent on a string trick....but i dropped the magnet.......now that was a ***** to get out lemme tell you lol:D