PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cold engine rattle/ticking

meanyellow03ex
09-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Just purchased a new 400ex. after you start the engine and let it idle, it begins making a rattling, ticking noise. only seems to do it cold for maybe a minute or so. if you rev it up, it goes away. if the engine warms up, it goes away too. seems like the cam chain ? the chain is supposed to be self adjusting and spring loaded, not hydraulic so that don't make sense. has anyone seen this before and can tell me what might be making this noise? maybe something with the decompression system?

Doibugu2
09-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Did this just start happening or did it always do it?

What you describe sounds kind of how mine runs. The honda engine is just kind of noisey. Nothing to worry about. But check your oil.

Where in WI are u from?

meanyellow03ex
09-13-2003, 11:01 AM
as far as i can tell, it's done it from new. if you start it and ride right away, you don't hear it. only if you let it idle to warm up. i live in the milwaukee area.

Doibugu2
09-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Yep, sounds normal.

I live near fox lake in IL. Do you have any good riding spots by you?

Have you adjusted your valves since you got your quad? I forget when you supposed to do it, but it's like after the first 50hrs. There is a "how to" in the FAQ section.

meanyellow03ex
09-13-2003, 11:06 AM
i only have maybe 10 hours on it so i haven't adjusted the valves yet. not too many riding areas near milwaukee except south by the illinois border or lots of them up north.

Doibugu2
09-13-2003, 11:10 AM
yep sounds normal.

You talking about bong? near the border or someplace else?

I wish there were more places to ride.

meanyellow03ex
09-13-2003, 11:15 AM
been there. thats only fun for 2 hours tops, there are some west called cheese trails or something in lafayette ? haven't gone there yet, mostly way north are the good ones, try the badlands in indiana.

Doibugu2
09-13-2003, 11:37 AM
I've been to black river falls. Didn't really like it. More for 4x4's. I heard the cheese trails are old train roads. Sounds kind of boring.

Yea, went to bong once, that was a waste. Sucks because it's only 45 minutes from my house.

Badlands is pretty good. Good for a day trip. Went there about 2 weeks ago, takes me 4 hours to get there. Rode for 2 hours, crashed, and came home.

Fox Valley offroad is pretty good too. It's in Ottawa IL. Might be closer for you than Badlands.

But if you want the time of your life. The hatfield McCoy trails in WV are the best. Do search for some of the threads. There is a huge one from our ride in july.

I think they are over 500 miles of trails. No joke. And they are trying to expand to over 1000 miles.