PDA

View Full Version : any ice racing tips for me?

Leo
01-30-2002, 05:55 PM
Well, this weekend is my first race on the ice..

They run both a circle type track, and a minature road course type track (both left + right hand turns..)

I just got done studding the rear tires (440 studs per tire!).. Have to mount and stud the front tires tommorow..

I've got the bike lowered down front + rear (durablue lowering kits)..

Anyone have any other hints / tips / tricks on setting up for the ice..?

Leo

trx400ex
01-30-2002, 06:08 PM
you might find out about lowering the tire pressure,,, but i dont know about that.....umm lean into the turns and have fun!
id say you pretty much set...

how long did it take you to put the studs in

JabberJaw
01-30-2002, 06:47 PM
There's only one stud on my bike!

400exJOE
01-30-2002, 07:04 PM
hey leo, how much did the complete lowering kit cost? Are you gonna ride it like that all year? How much ground clearance did you loose? I just think that If you could lower the center of gravity, you could go faster in turns and stay more stable.

rhino99
01-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Lowering the quad does exactly what you said, however with the durablue kits, its way too low for anything but flattrack. If you wanan race mx or xc or anything you can only go so low, in that case, get some ZPS style shocks, they allow it to sit low but still have full shock travel.

good luck leo, I would just do what was mentioned, LEAN in the turns!!!!

canadian400ex
01-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Only tip I have for ice racing is : make sure the lake is frozen!

JustRace
01-30-2002, 09:13 PM
canadian400ex

Only tip I have for ice racing is : make sure the lake is frozen!

I think that is the best advice.

Leo
01-31-2002, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by 400exJOE
hey leo, how much did the complete lowering kit cost? Are you gonna ride it like that all year? How much ground clearance did you loose? I just think that If you could lower the center of gravity, you could go faster in turns and stay more stable.

I wouldn't trust the kits for any type of jumping / rough terrain..

The rear lowering link winds up making the rear shock linkage VERY low to the ground, and you have to remove the skidplate to use it.. The front look strong enough for ice / flat - track racing, but I wouldn't try and big air with them, for sure ;)

Leo

Leo
01-31-2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
how long did it take you to put the studs in

About 40 minutes per rear tire.. Not to bad considering there is about 44 rows of 10 studs per row..

Poor cordless screwdriver got so hot I had to keep stopping to let it rest + cool down ;)

Leo

knighttime
01-31-2002, 07:47 AM
Post some pics of your ice machine!

MJNOVA
01-31-2002, 09:06 AM
What tires are you using?? Chen Shens only need one screw per tread---I thought it worked out to about 360 ??

If it's circle track load the sway bar so that it's somewhat diffcult to lift on the right side!!

Leo
02-01-2002, 04:39 AM
I'm running cheng-shins.. 20x11x9's in the rear, and 22x7x10's in the front... The 18 inch rears only need like 360 studs.. The 20's were all I could get though.. The rears have 44 rows of 10 knobs, for 440 studs / tire.. The fronts have 44 rows of 6 knows...

I started with 1500 studs, I have maybe 50 left.. ;)

This thing looks mean with the big wide studded tires, dropped right down.. I can't wait :D

Leo

02-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Keep the hammer down,,and dont' pop the clutch at the start,,only use 2 fingers to hold the clutch in,,and slowly let it out when it's time to start and get the hole shot,,once the tires grab let the clutch out and get bjutt over the rear tires and hammer through the gears,,short shifting as fast as you can,,and yeah lean alot into corners,,never raced on ice so that's about all the info I can give ya,,which mainly the start..but flat track it's normally that start that wins races,,OH and don't ride over your head ride comfortable,,you'll get in a zone about the 2nd lap. Good luck leo..:D