PDA

View Full Version : 450r advantages

dirtriderex
09-12-2003, 07:04 PM
What advantages does honda have by putting a unicam in and having less valves. Is it true there will be another X version with reverse and electric start?

honda350r
09-12-2003, 07:36 PM
I have heard a rumor that they will be releasing a different version? I hope they will !!

Pappy
09-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by honda350r
I have heard a rumor that they will be releasing a different version? I hope they will !!

me too...unfortunatley even my spies wont elaborate:grr:

its my opinion...that if honda releases a mid year version with the electric start it will prove in my mind that the trx450r was pushed into service to do battle with the yfz. either way i dont give a ratts but....but my 2 cents:D

modracer5
09-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by honda350r

go back and check the old posts...i said a few months ago, that this bike was tested by Tim Farr less than 15 minutes away from my house and i just found out to add injury to insult it was twice!!! at that test there was 4 versions of this bike..one WAS an aluminum framed 450r...wish i knew what happened to it????and the other was a 650r!!maybe to be released next year??

Pappy
09-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by modracer5
go back and check the old posts...i said a few months ago, that this bike was tested by Tim Farr less than 15 minutes away from my house and i just found out to add injury to insult it was twice!!! at that test there was 4 versions of this bike..one WAS an aluminum framed 450r...wish i knew what happened to it????and the other was a 650r!!maybe to be released next year??

sweeet!!!

thats pretty much what i heard also...damn i got good intel:cool:

Dave400ex
09-12-2003, 09:26 PM
I just wish it was electric start. For us XC races a kicker is not the best.

dirtriderex
09-13-2003, 07:30 AM
Yeah I know, why the h*** is honda taking so friggen long. Now another 4 months for it to come out. I really don't know what honda is trying to prove. they should have a mx version and a xc version, but I think that is very unlikely going to happen.:confused:

400exrules
09-13-2003, 12:01 PM
next honda should make a 650ex or somethin thats on up there in the displacement range to compete with the DS, raptor, and KFX700

oldsandman
09-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
What advantages does honda have by putting a unicam in and having less valves. Is it true there will be another X version with reverse and electric start?

Having more valves doesn't always mean more performance. You reach a point of deminshing returns due to head size and shape. Once you have the optimum shape and flow of the combustion chamber adding valves just for the sake of it will not make it flow better. The benefit of the unicam would be a less complicated valve accuating system, ease of assembly and cost. I honestly don't know how the unicam or valve system the 450 has will work. Or for that matter the complete motor. I'm sure hondas engineers made the best with the resources availabe to them.

09-13-2003, 02:29 PM
if they came out with a 650r I would buy it no matter what...i wont be getting this 450r as I do not race & it doesnt seem to be made for my intentions...damn you honda...i love you & i hate you :p

09-13-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by oldsandman
Having more valves doesn't always mean more performance. You reach a point of deminshing returns due to head size and shape. Once you have the optimum shape and flow of the combustion chamber adding valves just for the sake of it will not make it flow better. The benefit of the unicam would be a less complicated valve accuating system, ease of assembly and cost. I honestly don't know how the unicam or valve system the 450 has will work. Or for that matter the complete motor. I'm sure hondas engineers made the best with the resources availabe to them.

these are my thoughts as well, if the intake has to many openings velocity will be lessened. I have heard porting the crf doesnt do much, but I think with more of a load on it(like the quad has) it may help with a port even more...

point blank, the yfz WILL be faster stock for stock.(omg I said it! LOL) its all speculation till they have a shoot out...

but, I am not sure, the crf has a 12:1 compression ratio and the trx 450 has a 10.5:1 compression ratio.

I have thoughts on this, but they are just thoughts, Ill know once i ride it...

since the trx has less comp, maybe it will rev higher then the crf????

if that dont do it, shave the head and give it 12:1

Honda did the right thing and added bearings to the transmission(where most of the stress is). Yamaha made the gears wider but did nothing to the bearings.(UH OH)

honda also put double bearings on the sprocket side.YAMAHA? single bearings both side, and the typical yamie chain adjuster.

I think the honda is gonna be more reliable
;) but like my sig says, I dunno nothin:D

sultan_uv_speed
09-14-2003, 06:46 PM
From what I understand honda bought the patented to c-dales frame design and that was one of the models they tested !? Just wondering if some people "in the know" (pappy,modracer5) have heard the same info ???? I ALSO heard that honda did infact release this machine earlier then they had anticipated and that their "january release" was a rather optimistic time frame....you hear something like this once, ....yeah whatever.....but you hear 2-3 times and it makes you think ?!?!?!?!!? just wondering if anyone else has heard this same information

dirtriderex
09-14-2003, 07:01 PM
where did you hear this? can Honda still make changes to their quad before released?

09-14-2003, 09:05 PM
A buddyof mine happens to work for honda r&d.

He told me about a year ago that they were releasing the jetski line across the whole country and were not going to release any new bikes/atv's until that was complete.

Honda had 3 prototype quads at the georgia plant and they could have started production whenever.Like i said they were doing the jetskis.

My bud said it would either be released in fall or winter, I believe I said this a while back on the forums a loooong time ago....

I know some of you dont think about street bikes but, honda also just released a BRAND new cbr 1000 with 3 features that are a FIRST on a motorcycle. it has a electronig steering dampner that adjusts for the speed your going, has a dual stage injection system with 8 injectors!! Normally a bike has 4, the extra 4 on the cbr 1000 dont kick in till 5000 rpm!!! also, it has a new swingarm design called unit link it takes the negative suspension energy and turns it into tractin, instead of going through the frame and upsetting the bike.....

on top of that they signed tim farr, HOnda is back, tim far is gonna have the sickest HRC equipment. th age of the factory riders and privateers for atvs has begun!!

:cool:

Big - D Racing
09-15-2003, 12:27 AM
I have been saying for a while back before the 450r was released that it was coming and there will be a race version of it because I have seen both versions a while ago. Also I haven't seen the 650r, but the Honda representatives told me they had it and were contemplating releasing it because it is heavier, a little more expensive, and only puts out 4hp more than the 450. Keep in mind this was almost a year ago when I met with them. Have not heard anything else since then. Also they talked about a fuel injected model, but all it was atleast at the time was talk. I haven't seen or heard anything since then about it.

seatec
09-15-2003, 07:35 AM
I persnlly believe that HOnda will first introduce the CRF450X and see how that pans out since there is more demand for that application. A year later the x version will find its way in to the quad scene. That is how it seems to be done these days.
just my humble opinion

badercarma
09-15-2003, 01:53 PM
If they released the 450r with reverse and maybe electric start I would go put a deposit on it right now.