PDA

View Full Version : Electric VS Kick (Video)

promisc
09-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Electric starter not important on a race quad? See by yourself.

12HoursLaTuques-LeMan-Start.mpg (http://www.cpemistigri.com/12HoursLaTuques-LeMan-Start.mpg)

This is a video i took at the 12 Hours La Tuque in Quebec few months ago. That KTM, in front, have an electric starter but seems to have problem with his killswitch :confused: .

Look at those 2 VLS (near the end of the video) One have a Gas-Gas 300 2 stroke motor and the other have a KTM 560 one cylinder 2 stroke. Both have a kick starter and see what happend. :eek2:

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-12-2003, 03:53 PM
lol, thats true though...with an electric starter in a race..if you manage to stall your quad...you can fire it up within a second or two, and hopefully keep your place....with a kicker....welll you know how it goes...

Merriman
09-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Well first off we don't do british style starts at our races. Our bikes are running when the gates drop.:confused2

Second if your any kind of mechanicaly inclined your bike should be tuned, and able to start with in 1-3 kicks.:huh

Third.......don't be such a sissy:devil:

VIC
09-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Merriman

Second if your any kind of mechanicaly inclined your bike should be tuned, and able to start with in 1-3 kicks.:huh

I'm sure their were more than 2 kick start quads there right? They all left pretty quick except for the 2 kickers and 1 electric. So something was up with those 3.

Got Huevos?
09-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Merriman
Well first off we don't do british style starts at our races. Our bikes are running when the gates drop.:confused2

Third.......don't be such a sissy:devil:

haha well he pretty much said it especially in that last one.

Pahrump
09-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Kick starting is not THAT bad but its not great.

I raced motocross bikes before I ever thought about quads and I had my bike tned perfect one kick and she always started and 2-3 kicks cold. But if I happend to drop my bike and it was there for a second it was a ****** to start cause of the floding of the carb. So now if you happen to turn the new kick only quad over and it floods a little it might be a little harder to start.

but hey thats just me.... I waited till now to see what Honda was coming out with and I am not impressed so Tuesday I will be picking up my White/Red YFZ, that does have electric start. And if I just feel that I need to be Billy Badass I will buy the kick OPTION.

EvilEwok
09-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Today I went to take a look at a couple quads and I got to see 2 different yfzs (both white and red) and to be exactly clear I wasnt that impressed by the plastic of the yfz. I told him that the raptor was to tippy for my liking. So for everyone saying that hondas plastic is oogly, take a look at the yfz. IMA GET ME A HONDA :D FO SURE

seatec
09-13-2003, 06:23 PM
i find the e-start very handy when stuck in hairy situations like on a uphill or something. man its nice to hit that button. if some of you think that makes me a whimp than im happy no say that i really dont care about your opinon because thinking that makes you a macho bafoon.

Moto440
09-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Dude, electric start is good. That is one of the reasons I am such a big fan of the Cannondales. The 5-7 pound weight gain is well worth it to me. It is a fact that sometime bikes and quads are hard to kick over. Doug Gust has electric start on his Pro bike, and I remember reading that he liked it because if he stalled he could get it started so fast sometime people did not even know he stalled. Also, there are some places that racing or recreational riding it would be really difficult to go through the procedure of kicing over a quad. Like on a hill or a off camber. Just my opinion. Plenty of people do just fine without it.

Ryan
09-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Im sure its not hard to add electric starting on the new trx450r. But maybe not :confused:

Jay300ex
09-13-2003, 10:00 PM
I can see where some people wouldn't like it in racing. But it sorta adds to the comp ya know? If you stall it and have to kick it, if you dont have your bike tuned right or you didnt kick it good, you'll lose some places. If it goes good and only lose like 2 places, come on you can make that up with this beast can't you?

Adds some fun if your good at it ..

Jay

joshamahan
09-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Dont forget about the cross country guys. We start almost all of our races "Dead" so the elec. starter would be great for us. I know the 250r guys kick it but it still sucks. The reverse would also help out alot in cross country.:(

joshamahan
09-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Duh!