PDA

View Full Version : X-games/Gravity Games Interviews

C.Johnson
09-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Here's some of the interviews that I've done with companies, FMX Riders, and ATV Riders. These give their personal takes on ATV Freestyle and it's progression...and will be sent to the Mainliners of X-Games/Gravity Games. As more interviews come in, I will get them posted up when time allows.

Late,

C.Johnson
www.chrisjohnsonfreestyle.com

C.Johnson
09-12-2003, 03:16 PM
INTERVIEW W/NICEGUY FROM TEAM LOCO

JOHNSON- Who are you, who do you represent and where can you be found?

NICEGUY-Niceguy, teamloco.com of Mesa AZ.

JOHNSON- What's your take on ATV Freestyle, and it's progression?

NICEGUY-It’s Huge. The next step, atv sales more than double that of motorcycle sales.

JOHNSON- Do you and your company support ATV Freestyle and its growth?

NICEGUY-Yes.

JOHNSON- Would you like to see ATV Freestyle in the X-Games and Gravity Games?

NICEGUY-Yes. There is a larger possible fan base in the atv market than there currently is in the mx market.

JOHNSON- Do you think that the X-Games and Gravity Games Comps would benefit from ATV Freestyle being allowed into their comps?

NICEGUY-X-Games/Gravity Games attendance could triple almost overnight with the inclusion of atv’s. It is an untapped audience at this point.

JOHNSON- Do you feel that ATV Freestyle riders deserve the same amount of publicity, opportunity, and respect that the FMX Riders get?

NICEGUY-Equal opportunity and publicity should be a given for sure, it’s all about a perceived value. Respect is something that is lost or gained with every action, it has to be earned, and it is worth more to earn it.

JOHNSON- Do you feel that ATV freestyle is too much like Freestyle Moto-X, and do you think that ATV Freestyle would take away fans of FMX?

NICEGUY-I think that you have a few atv enthusiasts lingering around the fmx events for the simple fact that there are not any atv events. The sports are similar, but most of your fan base would be completely new.

JOHNSON- What do you think of the latest tricks being pulled on ATV's?

NICEGUY-It’s just the natural progression of sport, the moment you think that you’ve seen it all someone will huck something you never dreamed of.

JOHNSON- Do you sponsor any ATV Freestyle Riders?

NICEGUY-Sponsor? No. Support, ride with, collaborate with? Yes.

JOHNSON-. Would you and your company sponsor ATV Freestyle Events?

NICEGUY-Certainly

C.Johnson
09-12-2003, 03:21 PM
INTERVIEW W/KENNY BARTRAM (PRO FMX)

JOHNSON-With you being one of the sickest FMX Riders in the Industry, what's your take on ATV Freestyle?

BARTRAM-It's nutty! People say we do some crazy things on motorcycles, but just to jump an ATV that far is crazy.

JOHNSON-Do you think ATV Freestyle will find it's place in the X Games and Gravity Games in the future?

BARTRAM- I think it is a very good possibility. The X games over the years have added and cancelled a lot of different sports. When a sport kind of dies off in popularity or another sport gaines popularity, they are quick to stay with the trends.

JOHNSON-Do you enjoy watching the ATV Freestyle Comps?

BARTRAM-Yeah, it's neat to see what the rider can do on a bike, when the bike doesn't move around.

JOHNSON-What do you think of the latest tricks being pulled on these machines? ( you can refer to www.hbombfilms.com for pics, thanks to Wes Miller for the website and it's content.)

BARTRAM- Sorry, don't know the latest tricks being done. I know you told me a few of them. The no handed double can or suicide can, it's cool that ATV freestylers are already doing it, it took motorcyclists a few years to come up with that trick, so it's good to see a sport taking other sports progression and accelerating their sport faster.

JOHNSON-Coming from a Pro FMX Rider, Do you think that ATV Riders deserve the same amount of respect, publicity, and opportunities that FMX Riders get?

BARTRAM- Yeah, it's just as hard, they put just as much time into their sport. The element of danger is about the same, probably even more

JOHNSON-Do you think that the introduction of ATV Freestyle would possibly take away fans from FMX Events? (which by the way is not the intention of atv freestyle being allowed into the Games)

BARTRAM-No, I don't think it would hurt it at all. The X and Gravity games are set up in such a way, that a fan, can watch almost all of the sports. They might miss a practice session, but qualifying and finals almost never conflict on time, and the ATV and Motorcycle course would probably be one in the same, so a fan could just stay in the same area and see both sports. It would be good cross marketing for both ATV and Motorcycle fans to see both right there together.

JOHNSON-Do you think that the X Games and Gravity Games Competitions would benefit from it's introduction?

BARTRAM- I think it's more exciting then some of the sports they have now, so yeah, I think people would enjoy it.

JOHNSON-I've had complaints, (very few), about the introduction of ATV Freestyle being too much like FMX, and that we don't really need two motorized freestyle events...Do you agree with this?

BARTRAM- If you are going to argue that, then skateboards, roller blades, and street luge are all too much alike.

JOHNSON-Last but not least...Would you consider giving me some lessons on how to throw out such huge extensions on these tricks? (Ha Ha...it was worth a shot right?)

BARTRAM-Yeah, lose two of your wheels, lol. It might work.

C.Johnson
09-12-2003, 03:23 PM
INTERVIEW W/KELLY CHANG "BOMBSQUAD RIDER"

JOHNSON- Who are you, Where are you from, and who are you representing?

KELLY-Kelly"steelrod"Chang.Only pro atvfreestyler in state of Hawaii.Riding for Hbombfilms/Divisionfour Freestyle "The Bombsquad",Fox,Shift,DVS shoes,Blackfly eyewear,********.com

JOHNSON- How long have you been involved with/in the ATV Industry?

KELLY-I've been involved for the last 4years with Hbombfilms.

JOHNSON- What extreme sport athlete most influenced you to push the limits and turn pro?

KELLY-Dana Creech and Tavis Cain

JOHNSON- How does ATV Freestyle compare/contrast to Freestyle
Moto-X?

KELLY-Atv freestyle is basically same but,the tricks performed on a atv is much harder due to the fact that we have 4 wheels and the bike needs to be level everytime we jump.Plus we have to contend with the rear fender to do tricks.It's much heavier by far and manuvering it is harder.People have to understand that it's not like jumping a dirtbike.We can due all the tricks except whips.But again with any trick we still have that rear fender to compete with so it makes it that much more challenging!!Plus it's not something people see to be normal seeing a 400lb atv go over 80ft jumps at 35 ft in the air.

JOHNSON- With you being a Pro ATV Freestyle rider, lay down your opinion on the ATV Freestyle Industry, and it's progression over the past 3 years.

KELLY-The sport has really improved over the past years.Every year the ladder gets higher and higher with every trick and a part of it becoming that way is the Huevos videos.Myself as being a rider sees this sport climbing fast because it's in demand.We need more exposure and a way for people to see what else is out there!!We did a show in Hawaii and people went nuts seeing atvs go off!!It's something different and thats what we need.We as pro riders need to show what we got and that it is a competative sport!

JOHNSON- Do you feel that ATV Freestyle is ready to step up and become a mainstream sport like Freestyle Moto-X?

KELLY-Yes!!!We can be just as good!

JOHNSON- How will the riders, companies, and fans benefit from ATV Freestyle being involved in the X-Games and Gravity Games?

KELLY-It will open the doors for guys that like freestyle,give them a time to shine,companys can expaned into freestyle and not just motorcross,and the fans get to see something completly different!They can go to the x games and expect to see not only dirtbikes but atvs.The bar will get raised that much more.

JOHNSON- For the fans of past X-Games/Gravity Games Comps...what does ATV Freestyle offer them?

KELLY-It will give them something more to look forward to and to see what it is the ATVs can do.

JOHNSON- What tricks are you currently adding to your arsenal for the 2004 season?

KELLY-Hollymans,bar hops,seat grabs.(DON'T FORGET THAT REAR FENDER IS THERE)lol

JOHNSON- X-Games/Gravity Games 2004, and ATV Freestyle...will you be ready?

KELLY-I will be ready along with the rest of my team that will show the world what a 400lb machine can do!The Bombsquad!!