PDA

View Full Version : Photography question

XANDADA
09-12-2003, 02:33 PM
I'm going to the Gravity Games tonight & this weekend and want to try to get some action shots of the vert ramps & fmx with the digital camera. Whats the best way to set-up the camera to get these action shots? I know I can adjust the shutter speed but what speed do I want to use? Also keep the camera still when taking the pic or follow the rider? Thanks for any tips. Got killer athlete passes and want to take advantage or it (on top the ramps!). Thanks...

wheeltrax
09-12-2003, 02:41 PM
well when i take quad pics and what not with mine, i always try a variety of shots.. i cant adjust shutter speed, but most of mine come out very clear. I do a mix of both following and still. it depends on the effect you want and how your camera responds to it. thats my .02

sparky450AR
09-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
I'm going to the Gravity Games tonight & this weekend and want to try to get some action shots of the vert ramps & fmx with the digital camera. Whats the best way to set-up the camera to get these action shots? I know I can adjust the shutter speed but what speed do I want to use? Also keep the camera still when taking the pic or follow the rider? Thanks for any tips. Got killer athlete passes and want to take advantage or it (on top the ramps!). Thanks...

well those quads are flying through the air pretty quick....make your shutter speed very FAST!!!

good luck, post some pics if you get them

remlapr
09-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Best way to capture action pics and be sure off then being properly exposed is to set the camera to aperture priority mode, then set the aperture to the lowest setting, then bump up the ISO until you get a shutter speed that is at least close to 1/100. You can get away with 1/60 - but you need a steady hand. You can try this with the flash on and off - it should automatically adjust the shutter speed based on if the flash is being used or not. This of course will only work if your camera has aperature priority mode. If it doesn't - your best bet is to set it on the "action" program or whatever it's called on your particular camera - then play with the ISO setting and using the flash. Good think about digi's is that you'll know right then and there if the pictures are not coming good.

sly400ex
09-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA

PM QJ, she always takes good pics!

hessianmx111
09-12-2003, 03:06 PM
well make sure you get used to your delay and check out the practice and practice takin the pics. my pics from the freestyle event in louisville came out great and i panned the camera with the rider the whole time. even after you take the pic keep the camera on him i read this in a mag and believe me it works:)

sparky450AR
09-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by hessianmx111
well make sure you get used to your delay and check out the practice and practice takin the pics. my pics from the freestyle event in louisville came out great and i panned the camera with the rider the whole time. even after you take the pic keep the camera on him i read this in a mag and believe me it works:)

thats interesting

Pappy
09-12-2003, 06:32 PM
follow the rider and continue follwing until after the picture has been taken...just like following thru when shooting a shotgun

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p03eb8de7bdbed482f8837ca3e33cdc73/fb7e919a.jpg

250x#93
09-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by js52589
dont be gettin ur shotguns n cameras mixed up pappy :o :p

lmgdmfao :devil:

Pappy
09-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by js52589
dont be gettin ur shotguns n cameras mixed up pappy :o :p

that would suck:scary:

Pappy
09-12-2003, 08:24 PM
seriously...when i was in school for photography...one way they taught us to "pan" was to take pictures of cars. go sit in your yard and take pic's of cars driving doen the road. you can easily learn hhow to do itthat way

250x#93
09-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
seriously...when i was in school for photography...one way they taught us to "pan" was to take pictures of cars. go sit in your yard and take pic's of cars driving doen the road. you can easily learn hhow to do itthat way

Thats a damn good idea, I'm gonna share that one wit all my pals:devil: Thanks pappy sometime I'm bored i'm gonna practice:cool: Actually i need to tell my cuz that cuz he takes all my riding pictures:blah:

lildude
09-12-2003, 08:29 PM
on my brothers dig camera it has a special mode to take action shots and that helps take out alot of blur....but the most important thing is just dont stop folowing the rider till after the pic is taken

Pappy
09-12-2003, 08:31 PM
just stay outta the road:eek2:

another way is to have a lil brother or sister run around the yard. it will help you develop timing with your camera. digital is so cool because you can instantly see the shots. i bet i wasted $5000 on 35mm film learning to take good pics:mad:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/pa458078be778ad57376dc3e4a8c1413a/fb6ce2aa.jpg