PDA

View Full Version : Offset wheel deal AGAIN!!

seven
09-12-2003, 12:34 PM
I just ordered a set of tcs long travel shocks and was talking with TCS directly. I asked him if he takes into allowance running off set rims. He said he most certainly does (in his words). Any time you run off set wheels it puts more leverage on the shocks. I am not trying to start another ww111 but that is what he told me. Take it for what its worth, but that comes directly from TCS shocks!

SlapNutz
09-12-2003, 01:08 PM
:bandit:

86atc250r
09-12-2003, 01:48 PM
That's scary...

Guess that's one reason I don't run TCS shocks anymore :ermm:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people "in the industry" don't understand fundamentals... The shocks I do run, however, were built by a builder who does understand, and by riding them, it shows - he fixed my TCS's.

I'm probably opening another can of worms here, but take for instance Web Cams recommending against the use of synthetic oils because it will wear the cam --- nothing could be further from the truth.

AtvMxRider
09-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

I'm probably opening another can of worms here, but take for instance Web Cams recommending against the use of synthetic oils because it will wear the cam --- nothing could be further from the truth.

Care to explain?...........:devil:

09-12-2003, 01:54 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

86atc250r
09-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Been there, done that - search the archives :)

PHIL_B54
09-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
It never ceases to amaze me how many people "in the industry" don't understand fundamentals... The shocks I do run, however, were built by a builder who does understand, and by riding them, it shows - he fixed my TCS's.

i dont understand. so your saying that if i put my custom 2ft :rolleyes: offset wheels on the front of my quad it would not effect the shock??? im seriously not flaming, i really am not understanding. maybe im not seeing it, but wouldnt it act as a longer lever , while keeping the same fulcrum, and put more leverage on the shock?? its been a couple years since ive been in phyisics, so i could be wrong.

PHIL_B54
09-12-2003, 05:39 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69982&perpage=15&highlight=offset%20wheels&pagenumber=1

i started to read it, but am out of time, i will finish it later. i still dont understand, but i will research it more.

300EXrider02
09-12-2003, 05:40 PM
connected to the same place, just the wheel is farther over? i think i get it after 45 pages of arguments and flaming

Sportrax10
09-12-2003, 06:05 PM
I dont understand how it does not creat more leaverage.:confused: Dose it has something to do with the fact that there are a top and a bottom a-arm and the shock only it connected to one? :confused:

seven
09-12-2003, 06:16 PM
What he was saying in a short version is the extra levarage is placed threw the upper a arm and not the lower. There fore not affecting the shock

Pappy
09-12-2003, 06:50 PM
lol...we contacted 5 shock companies.....and they were split on the offset wheel fiasco:p some said yes..some said no...and 1 didnt have a clue what the hell we tried to ask them:confused2

seven
09-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Just out of curiosity what company didnt have a clue?

mikeboone
09-12-2003, 08:22 PM
My bet is on Works...

86atc250r
09-12-2003, 11:15 PM
Well, guys - there was a ton of info posted on the subject.

Think about it a little deeper than what you see on the surface and you'll come to understand why wheel offset does not affect the shock in the matter it initially seems it would.

09-12-2003, 11:26 PM
who cares ill use my own theory, i put a pipe on a ratchet and its easier to loosen a nut same thing is going on with the bottom a arms, i dont care if im worng i think im right:eek:

Pappy
09-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by js52589
put a pipe on the ratchet but hold the pipe at the same point you would hold the ratchet if the pipe wasnt there... ;)

very good analogy;)

JTRtrx250r
09-12-2003, 11:38 PM
its more leverage on most of the front end components,especially the top aarms,not to mention w/ off-set wheels...you feel alot more bump,it also wears the bearings and seals quicker,

I thought the reason the pro's went w/ +3's and in-set wheels(like stock style)was to regain the width w/o being to wide and to keep the bump-steer down:confused:

also the term "bump-steer" has a different meaning to some ppl,in off road technology its when the front wheels camber in at the top when the suspension is compressed,

this bump-steer Im talking about is the side to side kick thru the handlebars you get when running off-set wheels,a perfect example ...I have a friend w/ a Blaster...he switched his front rims around for width...big mistake....it'll almost jag the bars out of your hands on the smallest of bumps:confused2 ....did I make any sence to ya LOL:uhoh:

09-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by js52589
put a pipe on the ratchet but hold the pipe at the same point you would hold the ratchet if the pipe wasnt there... ;)

set a pencil hanging off the end of the table, put your finger on the pencil somwhere, push up on it close to your finger then push up farther away, its easier farther away

09-12-2003, 11:56 PM
never mind, i understand it now..i think:ermm: