PDA

View Full Version : RTC Clutch & Brake Lever Product Review

Admin
09-12-2003, 07:06 AM
RTC Racing Clutch & Brake Lever Product Review (http://www.exriders.com/productreviews/rtclevers.html)

http://www.exriders.com/productreviews/images/rtclogo.gif (http://www.rtcracingproducts.com)

jamiesel
09-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Not only was this the best lever I have ever had (I have had hydraulic and raptor lever set) I like the guy who makes em by hand without a cnc machine. I liked him so much I bought his louver and scoop set too.

EvilJester400EX
09-12-2003, 06:01 PM
It was the worst lever I ever had. I broke 3 in 2 weeks.

FourFiftyFour
09-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
It was the worst lever I ever had. I broke 3 in 2 weeks.

LMAO this is true.......

"Word"

EvilJester400EX
09-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Yes, it is, lol. I had the 50 dollar one, broke that, then bought the 100 dollar one, snapped that one in the same spot, so I bought another... same thing happened. Bought a CR250 perch and lever setup, it has outlasted the RTC by far for me, and I've had far worse crashes with the CR250 than the RTC..... but like all products, it just takes on spot to bend or break. If I could make a suggestion, they need to beef up the spot right there where the bolt goes through the lever, that's where I broke all of mine.

Pappy
09-12-2003, 06:21 PM
lol..i didnt know they made a $100 lever:eek2:

EvilJester400EX
09-12-2003, 06:29 PM
I musta gotten ripped off at Legacy then.

EDIT: It was the XR-4 lever, $89.95.

Pappy
09-12-2003, 06:33 PM
they just started making the xr-4 lever

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Yes, it is, lol. I had the 50 dollar one, broke that, then bought the 100 dollar one, snapped that one in the same spot, so I bought another... same thing happened. Bought a CR250 perch and lever setup, it has outlasted the RTC by far for me, and I've had far worse crashes with the CR250 than the RTC..... but like all products, it just takes on spot to bend or break. If I could make a suggestion, they need to beef up the spot right there where the bolt goes through the lever, that's where I broke all of mine.

:confused2

Admin
09-12-2003, 07:10 PM
I am amazed to hear you broke one off. If you wreck alot then things are bound to break no matter how thick the pivot mounting point is, but did you have the lever extended past the handlebars on a full pull?

I have been running them for years and never had one problem. I use to run cr250 ones and I have broke two of them from flipping over.

The RTC lever is actually thicker than most, so I am really surprised by your problems. Do you have any pictures of them broke?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have never heard a bad thing about them, and I have never seen one broke.

jamiesel
09-13-2003, 12:05 AM
Most top pros run rtc and for good reason. I havn't broke one. I have had 2 on two differant r's and they are guarateed.

FourFiftyFour
09-13-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I am amazed to hear you broke one off. If you wreck alot then things are bound to break no matter how thick the pivot mounting point is, but did you have the lever extended past the handlebars on a full pull?

I have been running them for years and never had one problem. I use to run cr250 ones and I have broke two of them from flipping over.

The RTC lever is actually thicker than most, so I am really surprised by your problems. Do you have any pictures of them broke?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have never heard a bad thing about them, and I have never seen one broke.

Brett just brought bad luck to those poor levers

:blah: :blah: hahaha when i sat on his quad the lever was practically hanging..

AndrewRRR
09-13-2003, 02:29 AM
I love mine, haven't had any problems. I don't crash often though ;)

YamaWarr0121
09-13-2003, 05:43 PM
i had an rtc, rolled the quad real easy, and it broke in 2..:grr:

not saying they are crap, but during the time they worked it was the best lever i had ever used cept my hydraulic on the dale..

just i thought it should last longer then al il roll over

Pappy
09-13-2003, 05:46 PM
you people wreck too much. maybe i should make some steel levers:eek2:

i havent broke 2 levers in almost 20 years of riding:p

Pappy
09-13-2003, 05:48 PM
and are you people that break levers running the perch really tight? thats a big no no;)

KASCHAK
09-13-2003, 11:12 PM
ive been riding for almost 12 years and i never broke a lever! i dont wreck often becauuse im a very good rider but when i do wreck they never brake

try riding the quad with the tires down for a change you might not brake things as quick. it works for me lol

crday98
09-14-2003, 08:41 AM
i never had a problem with mine and love it.i had three nasty spills and in one of them,my quad flipped several times.the lever was gouged pretty bad but still holds up good as new;)

AndrewRRR
09-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
you people wreck too much. maybe i should make some steel levers:eek2:

i havent broke 2 levers in almost 20 years of riding:p

LMAO, my thoughts exactly Pappy! I'm thinking maybe a stainless steel lever with a quick eject button so you can jettison all your levers when the rider leaves the bike.
One thing that may affect it is if people run their levers up high so they sit higher than the handlebars. I set mine a little lower so they are easier to grab when you are riding in the attack position (standing up). It puts them lower than the level of the handlbars and I would imagine makes them less prone to snapping if you roll.
Now if you wanna hear about a really crap lever... One of my riding buddies put those cheap MSR Raptor levers on all his bikes. One day he walked by the banshee and grabbed the lever, just squeezing it like you would normally to operate it, and it shattered at the pivot point, sending a couple small chunks of aluminum across the shop floor. Needless to say he replaced all the levers with different types. :rolleyes:

EvilJester400EX
09-14-2003, 07:51 PM
I don't have any pictures of where I broke them all at, but it was right there where the lever connects to the perch. I had my perch set so that it would roll around the handlebars if you pushed on it with your index finger. I must have just hit them all at the right spot I guess.

Meek
09-15-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
LMAO, my thoughts exactly Pappy! I'm thinking maybe a stainless steel lever with a quick eject button so you can jettison all your levers when the rider leaves the bike.
One thing that may affect it is if people run their levers up high so they sit higher than the handlebars. I set mine a little lower so they are easier to grab when you are riding in the attack position (standing up). It puts them lower than the level of the handlbars and I would imagine makes them less prone to snapping if you roll.
Now if you wanna hear about a really crap lever... One of my riding buddies put those cheap MSR Raptor levers on all his bikes. One day he walked by the banshee and grabbed the lever, just squeezing it like you would normally to operate it, and it shattered at the pivot point, sending a couple small chunks of aluminum across the shop floor. Needless to say he replaced all the levers with different types. :rolleyes:

I have been running a shorty raptor lever for 9 months, and have had no problems.

Admin
09-15-2003, 05:36 AM
I flipped my quad this weekend and my lever survived again.

Meek
09-15-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
you people wreck too much. maybe you should slow down

hondamxer161
09-15-2003, 01:12 PM
i just thought id tell ya that i landed bad off a jump, and hit my face so hard on the bars that it broke off on of the pep ez pull(emgo) levers...the perche broke totally in two! and i had an old school acerbis hand gaurd on it, the kind that mount to the lever...geez....

mike

XANDADA
09-15-2003, 02:45 PM
I got an rtc set for my R (clutch/brake) and it was not only 10x's better than stock but much easier pull than the cr250 perch/lever I tried as well. Smooth as butter, wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again. It is easier to pull than my friends magura hydraulic even...

JTRtrx250r
09-16-2003, 01:59 AM
I usually drill a very small hole about an 1" to 1 1/2" from the end of the lever...its save them from breaking at the perch so many times on the bike so I decided to do it to the quad also w/ much luck,broke a few but always had enough to use till I got another,like pappy said...dont over-tighten them...just enough to stay somewhat in place,then they'll rotate in a crash instead of breaking...(most of the time;) )

I have a Cr style and really like it,..but I might havta look into those;)

Pappy
09-16-2003, 05:47 AM
i just got in thier new x4 cluctch perch and lever...and it has the bushing that allows the perch to spin on the bars. its a kick arse set up for sure...but i can fully understand how someone would be PO'd if they broke one:p

09-16-2003, 06:02 AM
Welp i just ordered both clutch and brake levers...i'll let ya know waht i think about em once i get some riden time in..:cool:

Martin Blair
09-16-2003, 06:56 PM
parts unlimited clucth lever and perch for 16 bucjs cabnt beat i have had no problems at all and its holding up well after 2 and half months.

if he makes them by hand he has to bend them and bending and aluminum unless it is melted does and casted, or it is heated so a percise temp dont go together, once its bent it has no strenght?

bmw500hp
09-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
parts unlimited clucth lever and perch for 16 bucjs cabnt beat i have had no problems at all and its holding up well after 2 and half months.

if he makes them by hand he has to bend them and bending and aluminum unless it is melted does and casted, or it is heated so a percise temp dont go together, once its bent it has no strenght?

Simply ask him what part of the manufacturing process he adds to the lever? Most likely just some finilizing processes of cuts and time deburring in the tumblers.

Have the brake as well as "both" clutch levers, originally ordered the quick adjust and got the basic one by accident..just never got around to sending it back.....Seems like the basic cluch lever is a bit more sturdy of material and design. Cannot determine why this design changes with the xr.

Love the adjustability of the brake lever and as my clutch has been fading lately, the quick adjust on the lever has come in handy!

All in all a bit over priced, but a functional add on that gets a 10 on the "trick" scale.

09-17-2003, 06:02 AM
well i've run the cr250 lever for years. It's much better than the stock lever that comes with the quad. But i think angle of this lever is gonna make clutch pull even easier. I'll let you know if it truly is all the hype or if it's just another lever. I didn't get a discount or it's not a sponsored item given to me. I paid the same as you so i'll be honest in how they work...:)

I think Harlen pretty much summed it up though,,,If he says there good then i'll beleive him...but he just cost me almost $100:mad:

MadRox75
09-17-2003, 10:04 AM
I have had an RTC clutch lever on my EX for the last year and a half...
I have rolled it, at least, 5 times.
The lever is still on the quad and in the shape it was in, when I bought it.
It might help if you put some electric tape on the bars before attaching the lever. That way, when I have crashed, I can just readjust the lever position, instead of DNF.

The only thing that I don't like about it, is the pivot bearing. Mine is starting to wear out pretty good.

Do you know if they sell a replacement bearing?

When I need a new lever, the RTC is a Give Me.
:devil:

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Rico
but he just cost me almost $100:mad:

ya almost had a set for cheaper:scary:

ewalker302
09-18-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer

Thats what I'm talkin about cheap & works.

Thanks I was doubting these high priced super basic parts.

I mean they been makin clutch levers & perches for years, years, years. Most everybody probly got it figured out by now.

50-60 dollar difference for basically a hinge with a place to put on a cable & a knot on the far end, how hard can it be.

I've heard of too many people sayin their rtc's broke to buy one & I trust that more than the review.

:bandit:

airtime
09-19-2003, 09:00 AM
me and two of my friends have the rtc clutch perch and after several years of mxing, not a single problem.
if your only complaint is with the rtc clutch perch breaking in a wreck then stop wrecking. your poor riding skill should not be a factor in this product evaluation. you wreck 3 times and break 3 perches, you fault not the perch. i have wrecked my quad several times and was lucky enough that the impact was not on the perch. also, the rtc is not as easy or smooth as the hydraulic clutch on my cdale. jusy my 2cents

kgbg
09-19-2003, 09:18 AM
I agree with airtime. I have tham on all my quads and love them, no problems, but I rarely see the rubber side up. If wrekc are breaking your levers, thats not the levers fault. You should look into ASV's. I had a set, I realized they were overkill. I sold them to my friend who rides 2 wheelers. I love RTC's. I think they owe me comission, I have had at least 5 friends ride mine and go out and buy these levers.

hessianmx111
09-20-2003, 07:54 AM
its true that your gonna break levers if ya wreck but if i paid close to a 100 bux for a lever id expect it to last more than a few wrecks. just my .02

airtime
09-21-2003, 01:14 PM
for two hundred dollars i'll build you one out of 3/8 steel that i'll guarante not to break no matter how many times you wreck.

kaneman23
09-22-2003, 01:08 PM
I had an RTC and broke mine in the same spot as the rest in a very light roll-over..

ZRacer
09-22-2003, 01:42 PM
I personally think that the breakages that have occured are from people overtighten the perch to the handlebar.

This weekend at the GNCC, I hit stump and flipped my quad and it landed on the front end and my RTC lever just spun on the handlebars and didn't break. It was loose on the bars the rest of the race, but the lever was 100% intact.

The rule of thumb I follow when installing the clutch perch is tighten both bolts that hold the perch on until the perch can still be moved with a little force, then I tighten just the upper bolt another 1/2 turn until is snug. The perch stays in place until I happen to hit something and then it breaks free without destroying my lever. I am sure if you hit at just the right angle then it would break regardless, but everything will break if hit just right.

I haven't broken a lever in years! I wish I could say that about the rest of my quad.

AndrewRRR
09-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Good post ZRacer, it's a good idea not to crank your perch down. People need to remember that this is an aluminum lever, which isn't the strongest metal out there. It will break when a 375lb quad lands on it if you crank it down on there since it is the weakest link!
Maybe I'll start making some beefy stainless levers so people's handlebars will break instead of their levers, lmao.

kaneman23
09-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ZRacer
I personally think that the breakages that have occured are from people overtighten the perch to the handlebar.

This weekend at the GNCC, I hit stump and flipped my quad and it landed on the front end and my RTC lever just spun on the handlebars and didn't break. It was loose on the bars the rest of the race, but the lever was 100% intact.

The rule of thumb I follow when installing the clutch perch is tighten both bolts that hold the perch on until the perch can still be moved with a little force, then I tighten just the upper bolt another 1/2 turn until is snug. The perch stays in place until I happen to hit something and then it breaks free without destroying my lever. I am sure if you hit at just the right angle then it would break regardless, but everything will break if hit just right.

I haven't broken a lever in years! I wish I could say that about the rest of my quad.

Excellent point. I never thought of that. My perch was cranked down pretty good.... Next time I replace it(I went back to stock) I will be sure to take your advice...

09-23-2003, 01:26 PM
I received both clutch and break levers yesterday in the mail. I"ve installed them and so far i think i'm gonna like the break lever more than the clutch....:huh

I'm headed to hatfield McCoy in 2 days,,,i'll let ya know what i think about them when i get back.

I did notice that the clutch pull was a little easier. But I just installed a new clutch with stiffer springs so it's not gonna be as light of a pull as usual..:macho

jamiesel
09-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Rico
well i've run the cr250 lever for years. It's much better than the stock lever that comes with the quad. But i think angle of this lever is gonna make clutch pull even easier. I'll let you know if it truly is all the hype or if it's just another lever. I didn't get a discount or it's not a sponsored item given to me. I paid the same as you so i'll be honest in how they work...:)

I think Harlen pretty much summed it up though,,,If he says there good then i'll beleive him...but he just cost me almost $100:mad:

Rico... if you keep a nice cable on there they a much nicer then hydrolic. I ran my hyd 1 time and removed it and went back to the RTC. Dealer price is only like 5-10 off so you didn't miss much.

You will want to follow the installation instructions on it. If the cable is not free from the adjuster you will go through a cable like every 8 hours of seat time. I finally figured that out after 2 or 3 cables.

jonnyknk
10-02-2003, 05:57 PM
i use rtc they are the best the only one i use i would tell anyone i know to use they they are a good product a+ in my eyes