PDA

View Full Version : jet question??

redneckwheeler
09-11-2003, 09:34 PM
i got a jet kit for my quad and i have a curtis sparks x-6 and a hot cam2 ... and the jet kit instructions say to take the airbox lid off if i wanna put the stage 2 jet kit in..is this a good idea...what would it improve
thanks joe

*FoX*KiD*
09-11-2003, 09:51 PM
yeah taking the airbox lid off is one of the best things you can do to get more power because even if you have 50 of those lil vent things on your airbox you get the most power by takin the lid off

iono about jetting with cams but i'm guessing your gunna need a bigger jet than a stage 2 jet kit would give if you have a pipe and cam

just my 2 cents

redneckwheeler
09-15-2003, 04:35 PM
is there andthing i can put over the airbox to help kep out dust and water

Doibugu2
09-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by redneckwheeler
is there andthing i can put over the airbox to help kep out dust and water

If your worried about dust and water, keep the lid on. The gains you see with it off vs. on is not worth buying a new motor when you get water in it.

Leave it on and jet it for that. Start with a 160 main and work down. You probably need a 158 or 155, though.

redneckwheeler
09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
is that a big enough jet for havin a pipe and a cam

redneckwheeler
09-19-2003, 03:40 PM
bump....how will i know if i need to go down a jet size..

a1965gt
09-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Check out EHS Racing, they make an outerwear cover with a billit frame for the air box lid.
It works awesome, performs just like no lid at all. If you run through a lot of water I recomend the stock lid but the EHS lid will repel a couple of splashes throug the water.
Theres no water in Arizona

cals400ex
09-19-2003, 07:53 PM
i bet a 158 is about right. right now i am running an x-6, uni filter, modded airbox lid, stage 2, and a ross 10.8 compression piston and i am using a 160 main jet. i don't have it dialed in 100% yet but it seems to run great. the plug is a good color. i may actually be going down to a 158 and see how it runs. as it gets colder outside, you will have to go up one or two sizes on the mainjet from the colder more dense air.

oh wait, you have a jet kit. sorry i can't help you much there. dynojets are different from keihins. from what i read, the dynojets run about one size bigger than the keihins but i am not sure of that. there is a good chance that dynojet may tell you to use a bigger jet than you need. with jetting remember, bigger does not necessarily mean better. i am not sure what comes in the dynojet kit, but i would probally put a 160 in or so and see how it runs. i would look at the plug after you get some time on it at full throttle. i know the additives in the fuel make it hard to read a spark plug, but it seems to still work for me.