PDA

View Full Version : pc side cases what colar?

mod300ex
09-11-2003, 09:28 PM
im doin my 250r side cases i dont know what colar to pc them though i was thinkin almost chrome....i have a black frame wiht almost chrome swing arm and stem and other stuff....what do u guys think thanks for the info

Hotdog
09-12-2003, 07:23 AM
that is the same thing im planning on doing to my 400 over the winter. i talked to pappy, he said that it holds up ok as long as you dont hung your cases with your boots.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
09-14-2003, 03:40 PM
I think the almost chrome would work with that scheme or just have them chromed :D

09-15-2003, 11:34 AM
just have them chromed

Thats the best way hands down.

Polished looks good (right there fox) but the maintenence and looks of chrome are so much better.

Now you could powder coat them also but you wouldnt get nearly the effect or longevity of chrome.

Remember that powder coat is not much more than a epoxy paint that gets baked on ( I amsure i will get heat on this one from the non professionals) and will not adhear as well as chrome either.

I have needed to touch up powder coat but never chrome and unlike paint which you can touch up yourself how do you do it with powder coat?

Do post pics when your done :)

Pappy
09-15-2003, 12:48 PM
call the QUADSHOP 1-866-243-4464

they have connections that do excellent chrome work and would be more then happy to get ya squared away...id post the # but i dont have it..they are in ohio

as far as pc on the side cases....they will get beat up on a 400ex/z400. the riders foot is in contact with the cases nearly non stop.....but even chrome will get scratched and begin to look bad....you will have to weigh the cost factor vs longevity.

polishing is a cheaper route and allows the rider to simply re-polish when needed....but its a bit of elbow grease to keep them looking new.

depending on the color of pc it can be touched up with normal paint.

lil400exman
09-15-2003, 01:07 PM
what about plishing then a few layers of clear pc? thats what i am thinking.....;)

Pappy
09-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
what about plishing then a few layers of clear pc? thats what i am thinking.....;)

same differnce...paint or pc is a coating...and constant abrasion will scratch it.

powdercoat is awesome looking and under usual conditions it fairs quite well but when your riding boots (escpcially the metal toe gaurds) contact it time after time it will look ugly in short order.

250'rs fare a bit better due to the amount of case that actually protrudes outside the frame rail.

ive posted this statement before:

if your stock cases are all tore up...anything normal you coat them with will also get tore up...including chrome

lil400exman
09-15-2003, 02:13 PM
pappy on 88-89's what did honda coat there cases with? cause that is some tough crap man thats all i can say.....but it shows dirt up really easy which is irritating.........really irritating its like right after i clean 20 minutes later its just al dusty again and crap i dunno how u all do it it drives me MADD!:confused2 :ermm:

Pappy
09-15-2003, 02:22 PM
im not sure.

some of the coatings the factory use are semi-baked enamels. good stuff really considering some R's still look decent after all these years.

alot of car manufactures and even some atv manufactures are using Powdercoat these days. most use epoxy based instead of hybrid polymers. thye normally dont offer the "look" but durability is excellent.

there are even cars that are completely powdercoated now instead of paint. i always wondered what they would do if ya crashed it....not too many body shops are set up to pc a fender. maybe they come coated from the factory to the body shop? any body shop guys know about this?

lil400exman
09-15-2003, 02:29 PM
intersesting pappy.......i also wonder how would bondo stick to something with such a slick and smooth surface of pc? but my r cases only have i light scratch in it and it is super tough........:eek2: but the thing is it will not shine no matter how much i polish that black it is a semi-gloss color.........its quite irritating and seems since it is so thick it would really hold in the heat......same with nicel plating on a pipe not the best in heat dissapation.......:)