PDA

View Full Version : Old school Vs. New

seven
09-11-2003, 08:58 PM
With all these new sport quads coming out with big price tags I actually wonder why anyone that races for fun on the weekend would buy one. I want a four stroke for taking my daughter for rides on the weekend thats it. If I was staying on the mx Track I would keep my R. I have 5 times the bike for half the price. I will have all long travel TCS suspension with all the other goodies for under 6000$. You cant even buy one of the new racers to start out with for that! And I have yet to ride a four stroke that can corner like a R. I think it has to do with all the weight being up high on the motor and such. I have not go to ride the new Yzf so I cant speek from experience there. Just my opinions, feel free to dis agree! Also I am looking for a new 86 250r frame thats in decent shape thanks to my nephew.

AlaskaSpeed
09-11-2003, 09:14 PM
The reason people that race for fun on the weekend would actually buy one of these new high power 4 strokes is because now there are actually some that handle like a 250R, or come very close...(I have ridden both around the track).
I am very happy with my YFZ, was thrilled with the Cannondale before that; and as long as I have money to throw around, I will keep buying what I want and mod the hell out of it because I can....;)

Narly R
09-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Its a hard decition.... my r isnt what it should be but almost its getting there.... if i had the money i would most defently get a new bike, its hard i dunno, Im confused...:confused2 :( :rolleyes:

edgerat
09-11-2003, 11:16 PM
I prefer riding my YFZ to my full LSR PV bike that I had. It is much more violent to ride and it handles better stock over my full aftermarket bike did.

Narly R
09-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by edgerat
it handles better stock over my full aftermarket bike did.

WAAATTTTTTTT?:huh :ermm:

You think it handles better that a LT r?

edgerat
09-11-2003, 11:31 PM
yeah I clock better lap times on my YFZ than I ever did on any of my R's. People dont realize how good it really is. All I have done to mine is a sparks pipe the YZ cam and a re-jet with the lid off and I am putting down more HP than my JJ replica LRD 265PV motor did.

Narly R
09-11-2003, 11:38 PM
WOW! Maybe this bike will really be the next 250r, but a 265 doesnt put out that much power compared to a 330-350. But its defently impressive, i wanna see what people think of them with Long Travel!

Diedrich
09-11-2003, 11:53 PM
i dont care much for the new quads they are coming out with..i think they are overrated..i love the 400ex and 300ex..but i think the best bike of all time is the 250r..i think it'll be the best for awhile...i love them bikes..they feel just right when you're riding them

09-12-2003, 12:44 AM
eventually ill havre the new honda or build a crf

JTRtrx250r
09-12-2003, 01:05 AM
I see both sides of it for sure,..its a toss-up,4strokes are easier to ride but sometimes take a bit of "finess" ,and 2stroke motors take a bit of "finess" at times,I actually get tired quicker on the 4stroke myself but at times its also smoother..but thats uaually after riding my R and it always feels light compared to a 400ex anyway:blah:

I will be happy w/ my R...but sure wouldnt mind a 450r or a YFZ,maybe someday..;)

kwatts400
09-12-2003, 01:22 AM
I always felt alot less tired after getting off my ex than my r. It could do just about anything that the r could, except give me that rush when it hits the powerband and nearly yanks the bars from my hands. I didn't get to ride my ex at the dunes, mostly because I couldn't get my friend off of it. I would have liked to compare them back to back dune jumping, but I know that it was pretty good at that from other experience. I can't wait to see how the new r compares to the old r. I guess I'll have to have some fun comparing the 2.

JTRtrx250r
09-12-2003, 01:52 AM
its the engine -braking that wears me out on the 4stroke,like I was saying..thats usually after riding the R,I definitly get pump-up quicker on the R..thats for sure haha

VIC
09-12-2003, 02:07 AM
I haven't riden the yfz but to me it just feels a lot funner to ride an R over the new 4 strokes. I like to downshift to get on power in corners, work the clutch and just the sound of the R's 2 stroke revving when you hit the gas. On a 4 stroke you can ride around in 3rd-4th all day to me thats no fun. But the new yami and honda could changed my mind when I get to ride them.

seven
09-12-2003, 07:17 AM
I have my R setup with a 310 mx port and a ct mx pipe and it has almost no hit to it. When I changed out my paul turner pipe to the ct mx pipe I could go twice as many laps without getting tired. I think a lot of the issues if of a 2 stroke over working you is setup. I have not got to ride a powervalve R yet but it should be way smooth. If I had the $$$$$ I would setup the yfz for mx but looking at the new honda I am not impressed at all but that may change with some seat time!

Pappy
09-12-2003, 07:22 AM
i never got the fact that an R wore you out. i jumped on a R at hatfield...rode all dayum day and was ready for more:p

learning to adapt riding styles on different quads may be the reason i dont care what i ride:D

MOUSE
09-12-2003, 07:34 AM
i can ride my 400 twice as long as i can my freinds r