PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler On A 300ex

Live2Ride300
01-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Hi, does anyone know about making an oil cooler for a 300ex from a 350x cooler, ive heard its pretty easy. I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what you need and how to install it, and if anyone has any pics of it? Thanks in advance:D

Charlie:D

Braff1
02-03-2002, 09:28 AM
I don't know about using a 350 x oil cooler but Mickey Dunlap from four stock tech sales one for 300ex. It is easty to install and I have had it for a year now and not had any trouble from it.

yellowrider
02-03-2002, 09:31 AM
is there any need for a 300ex having a oil cooler? i mean gosh only thing you have is a pipe and air filter does it run noticalble cooler or just a few degrees cooler?

and how and where does it hook up and how much does it weigh

Braff1
02-03-2002, 09:53 AM
For me adding the oil cooler is just added protection for engine. I mostly rode trails with my 300 or was running WFO climbing hills. I don't know how much the cooler lowers the engine operating temp, never checked it.But I can tell you this, I bet you can not hold your fingers on the cooler after climbing a few hill with it making them a little tender.

Tho cooler mounts to the two front rails of the frame just below the upper shock mounts.

The oil is supplied to the cooler by the metal tube that runs up the right side of the enging. By cutting it about an inch from where it goes into the top of the head, one end goes to the cooler and the return goes into the other end at the head into the cam area.

yellowrider
02-03-2002, 07:11 PM
it sounds a little risky does it used more oil now since you added it ?

Braff1
02-03-2002, 10:47 PM
When I added the cooler it took about a quart to fill it up, but other than that it does not use any oil. Then I connected the lines from the cooler to the metal tubing on the right side and fastened them with hose clamps. I have not had any trouble with the cooler since it was installed. Overall I am very satisfied with the cooler.

yellowrider
02-04-2002, 03:56 AM
could you take it off if you needed to ?? or is it one of those things you can not take off you have to live with it ?

patrick delao
02-04-2002, 06:37 AM
I have one for sale that I got for my 300ex but never put it on. Still in the box. I will sell it for $100 plus shipping I know thats WAY cheaper then other other companys. Never been used box alittle dirty but thats it. Let me know ereed@loomisfargo.com