PDA

View Full Version : poll what do you think 450r

joeroadking
09-11-2003, 06:06 PM
what do you think of the 450? happy with it ?

Bill Fuller
09-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Very happy.....except for the kick start,but I already knew thats what it would be so I'm not disappionted.I personally like the looks.I,m just not sure if I will go out and buy it right away,I really want a magic button:( It is a Honda and I will have one just gonna be patient.I have heard there would be a "woods" version out next year but who knows?I will NEVER buy a yamaha.

Taco
09-11-2003, 06:21 PM
I never knew Pud Puller was sooo smart:D

joeroadking
09-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Taco
WTF must be a private joke ! or as Isuspect some one has the joke in there hand!:D

09-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Taco

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/lmao.gif

Bill Fuller
09-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by joeroadking
WTF must be a private joke ! or as Isuspect some one has the joke in there hand!:D Oh it may be a joke but it will still fit in your mouth 8==>:o Damn Monkeyboy:cuss:

Guy400
09-11-2003, 06:46 PM
I think a more interesting question would be "what did you expect before the actual release?" Rico said it well in another thread that Cannondale produced the quad that everybody here in the last 24 hours was wishing Honda made. If you didn't buy a Cannondale why would Honda think you'd buy a similar quad if they made it. I hear people talking of "no aluminum frame", "no EFI", etc. What features were you looking for and what were you realistically willing to spend? Also, for the last year so many of you were saying "just give me a CRF450 engine in a 400EX frame and it'll rule" and now that they've done it there seems to be some disappointment.

I'm not 100% satisfied with this quad but that goes with any quad. I wished my Raptor was lower, wider and lighter. I wished my Cannondale's starting procedure was less complicated. I wished the 400EX had liquid cooling and some more power. However, I think Honda built the quad they had to with the 450R. Remember, Honda is a business and their business isn't to please a small handful of riders dedicated to only one form of racing. They built a high performance "do-all" and total sales of this quad will prove that. They built a quad that will win a lot of races come the weekend but is also able to be a trail machine. They built this machine so the performance is so close to the YFZ that Honda's reputation for reliability and a slightly cheaper price tag will make the sale. They also stepped out and snagged Tim Farr to be a factory rider. I've got all the confidence in the world that there will be plenty of red on the podiums next year.

I can also say I'm not excited about the magazine shootouts. We all know the Honda will win, and not because I'm brand loyal. Honda will win because it's the newest sport quad out there. Yamaha will get it's 6 months in the sun and then the newer Honda will take over. I can guarantee that if Suzuki releases their own 450 next summer it'll win too at first. I put little faith in the rags ability to be neutral when it comes to comparisons.

joeroadking
09-11-2003, 07:02 PM
First off let me thank you for getting this thread back on track!!

I agree the cdale wht we wanted the 450r to be but I like many others carried the torch waiting for the new 250r, and this what we got not that its not a nice bike but would I buy the 450r proubly, but I really regret not buying a cdale, if we all had they would still be in bussiness to bad it always ends at the $$$$. they really could have dominated the atv racing scene if they had afew more years.

As far as the rags go they have always been biased, whoevers advertising the most get the most favorable reveiws and the newest is always the best. once gain back to the $$$$

I like the 450 I just expected something more!:cool:

Guy400
09-11-2003, 07:21 PM
You want to really cry? Read the replies to this thread by 4strokemadman (Paul Hammerstrom, one of the lead engineers for Cannondale). He tells what things Cannondale had planned before they went belly-up. You guys want a true race quad from the factory? Cannondale damn near did it if they would've had the time.

http://cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=2515

09-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
I think a more interesting question would be "what did you expect before the actual release?" Rico said it well in another thread that Cannondale produced the quad that everybody here in the last 24 hours was wishing Honda made. If you didn't buy a Cannondale why would Honda think you'd buy a similar quad if they made it. I hear people talking of "no aluminum frame", "no EFI", etc. What features were you looking for and what were you realistically willing to spend? Also, for the last year so many of you were saying "just give me a CRF450 engine in a 400EX frame and it'll rule" and now that they've done it there seems to be some disappointment.

I'm not 100% satisfied with this quad but that goes with any quad. I wished my Raptor was lower, wider and lighter. I wished my Cannondale's starting procedure was less complicated. I wished the 400EX had liquid cooling and some more power. However, I think Honda built the quad they had to with the 450R. Remember, Honda is a business and their business isn't to please a small handful of riders dedicated to only one form of racing. They built a high performance "do-all" and total sales of this quad will prove that. They built a quad that will win a lot of races come the weekend but is also able to be a trail machine. They built this machine so the performance is so close to the YFZ that Honda's reputation for reliability and a slightly cheaper price tag will make the sale. They also stepped out and snagged Tim Farr to be a factory rider. I've got all the confidence in the world that there will be plenty of red on the podiums next year.

I can also say I'm not excited about the magazine shootouts. We all know the Honda will win, and not because I'm brand loyal. Honda will win because it's the newest sport quad out there. Yamaha will get it's 6 months in the sun and then the newer Honda will take over. I can guarantee that if Suzuki releases their own 450 next summer it'll win too at first. I put little faith in the rags ability to be neutral when it comes to comparisons.

Guy very well put, I'm impressed.:D :eek:

I think that a lot of the disapointments were partially due to Honda's marketing tactic of allowing just a certain amount of info to leak out and letting the rumor mill round up the balance of the info, and partially from the recent offerings from the other manufacturers with suspensions that more closely mimic the aftermarket set ups.

Surely I am not the only one who looks at the pics and ignores the engine and plastics and see a very similar appearance and stance as the 400EX and though thats not bad I still agree with the 250R fans that the old 1980's built R has a better suspension set up.

I think this may be the last TRX450R thread I will reply in for a while and just wait till there are some machines out in the hands of the riders. That way we will know more about the things we are really interested in (Handling, power deliver, reliability etc).

One thing I have noticed about Honda motor corp in general is that they produce a quality engineered MARKETABLE product first and are not afraid to let the aftermarket join in on the profits, and yes its not just quads. If your into performance then think about what honda offers outside our sport. Theres one car and a couple street bikes and everything else is designed for longevity and profit.

Guy400
09-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Guy very well put, I'm impressed.:D :eek: :cuss:

OutlawEX
09-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Very very dissappointed:( TOmmarrow im going and getting a yfz to releive my anger towards honda. Im still a honda fan but not one of what they just realeased

MXQUAD294
09-11-2003, 08:39 PM
.http://e.domaindlx.com/TimmyK/MVC-022S.JPG

BigAl
09-11-2003, 08:53 PM
I was disappointed in the suspension components, not the shocks, but the a-arms and swingarm.

I was disappointed in the carb, the compression, and the Kick only.

It's still a Honda and will still be great, but I thought they would have a little more for the YFZ.

joeroadking
09-12-2003, 07:12 AM
bump trying to keep the poll up , interesting results so far.

JustRace
09-12-2003, 12:31 PM
Guy, great info. :)

Nausty
09-12-2003, 01:11 PM
I like it, sure your gonna have to replace a lotta parts but I think I bet its got a great chasis and we know it has a great motor but I think its got the potential to be the best quad you can get pretty much w/ some mods. (long travel front end, minor motor work, rear end, stem, bead locks, tires, and handle bars). I probably won't own one though... I'm happy w/ my 400ex and it would pry be better for me to just buy a old crf and do a motor swap or something like that if I really needed it.