PDA

View Full Version : Lonestar +4 swingarm skidplate

Quadworks
09-11-2003, 05:24 PM
I am getting ready to order a Lonestar +4 swingarm for my 400EX. It comes with skidplate mounts installed, but what skidplate does it take. Does it take a stock type plate or a custom one?

lil400exman
09-11-2003, 05:33 PM
just wondering why would you need a swingarm skid on a plus 4 swingarm? you cant ride woods with that only dunes and drags man.....lol seems like a waste to have a skid made that wont even get a scratch on it :confused2 also it will add alot of weight that you absolutley will not need!

Quadworks
09-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Well man let me tell you why. I do ride quite abit. I do only have a left arm. As only having one arm it is a little easier going up hills and things with a longer swingarm so as I don't have to stand up and lean forward while going up hill. I have gone from a 300EX with a 250R swingarm (which makes it a +4 on the 300) to a 400EX with quite abit more power. Even now if I get on it to much the front end want to come up rather easy. That is why I am gettng a +4 swingarm. Plus it looks way cool.

Juggalo
09-11-2003, 06:21 PM
well i'm sorry to say i don't think anybody offers a +4 swinger. you might have to get it custom made and that'll cost some big bucks.

Quadworks
09-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Theres been like 3 different companys selling +4 for a 400EX on EBAY. Also there are places that have Lonestar +4s in stock. C&D has already told me that a couple places that they deal with have a Lonestar +4 in stock for like $510. So all I am asking about is a skidplate. Thats it, nothing else.

lil400exman
09-11-2003, 07:38 PM
but bruce a plus 4 on a 400ex makes it extrmemly long and where you can ride with a swingarm that long you wont need a skidplate man also you will have to revalve the shock too for that long of a swingarm lol and i dont think they make a skid plate that long.......:o

lil400exman
09-11-2003, 07:40 PM
also i only think those only come in drag strength's which cant really handle much other than going in a stright line so no jumping or putting alot of stress on it other than stright line stuff.......

Quadworks
09-12-2003, 06:41 AM
Hey lil400boy it sounds like in your signature your building a race quad. Maybe you ought to stick to something that you actually know something about. Most MX race quads have aftermarket swingarms, some shorter some L-O-N-G-E-R. Those seem to hold up. So whats a a few more inches. I don't jump, mostly ride. Most aftermarket companys offer lightweight or a standard metals in which they make them out of. If you know anything about 400EXs you would know that the swingarms are prone to breakng, so any aftermarket one at all should be a definant increase in strenght. I hope that someone with intelligence will actually read my question and answer it. Most poeple answer something only to get a higher number on there posts. Not because they actually know what there talking about.

sickmojave
09-12-2003, 08:55 AM
can you call the maker of the swingarm and ask what the mounts fit :confused:

09-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Houser racing will make you whatever length you want I believe. Also Burgard racing will probably make you one also. I think +4 will be a little much honestly. I seen a +4 on a custom houser 450 chassis at the quadshop. It was crazy looking... Also the rear shock had to be custom made to go along with it.

I think it's great that you do not let your handicap slow you down and that you still enjoy life riding quads. Hats off to ya man..:)

Quadworks
09-12-2003, 01:40 PM
I just found out from C&D that the Lonestar +4 swingarm uses a stock size skidplate. All I have to do now is make sure I want a +4 for sure.

09-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Oliver
I just found out from C&D that the Lonestar +4 swingarm uses a stock size skidplate. All I have to do now is make sure I want a +4 for sure.

and find out if the shock your usin will work with that length arm..

lil400exman
09-12-2003, 02:44 PM
bruce oliver i was just stating what i knwe no need to get mad i just stating that a plus 4 was awfully big and i owned a 99 400ex that i raced in a c class at my local mx track so dont think i am a d!p**** just cause i own a r. i have been around quads alomost my whole life and just stating what i have read and learned talking to aftermarket frame componet makers what they have told me and what i have read too no need to get mad man:)

Juggalo
09-12-2003, 03:13 PM
bruce when i said nobody i know of makes a +4 swinger i was in kind of a rush, what i meant to say was nobody i know of makes a skidplate for a +4 and that will cost some money to get that custom made. i am sorry to hear about your arm but i think maybe +4 on the ex is still a little much. i have a good friend who cut his hand off a couple years back, he was riding his ex with one arm for a long time and now he still has very little use of his left hand and can't hold on very well on that side. he rides fine with the stocker, i'm sure your case is more severe but +4 is still overkill. if you were ok with a +4 on the 300 i think maybe a +2 on the 400 would be good for you. happy riding!

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-12-2003, 03:29 PM
i agree with everyone that said a +4 is overkill...i seen one and
holy crap was it long, a +2 would be more logical on a 400ex....maybe even a +3....

Quadworks
09-12-2003, 03:48 PM
All I know is on my 300 I had a +4 arm and I loved it. I just ordered my +4 for my 400 and I will just have to see. I have tried to find pics of a 400 with a +4 and never found any. If it is too long I will keep it for when I go play in the sand and order a +2. Until then when I get it next week and get it on I will let everyone know what I think. Unless I have shock work to do.

Juggalo
09-12-2003, 06:04 PM
you'll have to revalve your rear shock for sure or buy an aftermarket one valved for a +4 swingarm

Quadworks
09-12-2003, 10:46 PM
If I find that I do need to get the rear shock revalved who would be a good one to send it to. I know on my 300 with a +4 I didn't do anything and I liked it. It only bottomed out maybe once or twice thats it in about a year or so of riding.

sparky450AR
09-12-2003, 10:56 PM
good luck with that swing-arm...i dont really think its overkill...put your self in a situation where you have one arm and your tryin to get up some steep hill....i think it will work good for you

Pappy
09-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Oliver
If I find that I do need to get the rear shock revalved who would be a good one to send it to. I know on my 300 with a +4 I didn't do anything and I liked it. It only bottomed out maybe once or twice thats it in about a year or so of riding.

if you are still on the stock rear shock...id say try it as is . i think the stock shock is stiff anyway but thats me.

santo derisi does some killer shock rebuilds...and even c&d the site sponsor can hook you up with a tcs rebuild.

Quadworks
09-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Yes I am on the original shock. I am going to try it as soon as my new Lonestar comes in. If I don't think the shock is right I will start looking for someone to work on it. I will post a message here when I get it on and give it a try. Hopefully by then my new AC Pro-Pegs are here also. Then things will be starting to look good.

Chef
09-13-2003, 06:37 PM
The +4 should be fine. With my +2 I could maneuver just as well as I ever could with the stock length. The skid plate mounts on extended swingarms are just moved back on the arm so that you dont have to custom build a skid. The very front of the skid is left uncovered a bit.

Quadworks
10-03-2003, 09:29 PM
I finally received my swingarm from Lonestar for the 2nd time today. Seems the 1st time they forgot to weld a piece on for the brake stay to slide on. Also on the 2nd arm was a brake line holder that wasn't on the 1st either. Finally after a few calls and making them ship to me overnight I can install this tomorrow and let everyone know how things worked in a few days.

Quadworks
10-09-2003, 02:07 PM
The arm went on great! I went riding last weekend and the extended arm worked awesome. Slightly wider turning radius, but didn't notice much. Looks way better now that it is a longer wheelbase and not so short.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-09-2003, 02:22 PM
That is good to hear that the +4 works for you :)

Quadworks
10-10-2003, 06:28 AM
Yes it worked great. Even the stock shock seems to work great even at the original setting. For the riding I do I don't think that I will change a thing.