PDA

View Full Version : hot start ???

400exrules
09-11-2003, 04:48 PM
i noticed the 450 has a hot start button on the handle bars, wut is a hot start ? :confused:

Kilabanshee
09-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Its when you roll or tip over you quad. It something with the gas in the carb that helps it start much easyer.

Guy400
09-11-2003, 05:20 PM
It makes a change in the headpipe that makes a whistle sound when you first start it. It's for when you're out riding and stumble upon a lone hottie in the woods. It's like a mating call.

Ryan
09-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
It makes a change in the headpipe that makes a whistle sound when you first start it. It's for when you're out riding and stumble upon a lone hottie in the woods. It's like a mating call.

LMAO :D

400exrules
09-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Guy400

that could be useful

Andrew400ex
09-11-2003, 06:04 PM
i thought it decompresses the piston so its easier to start when its hott?

Team Country
09-11-2003, 06:28 PM
It's just another gimmick, so they can say they've got one and Yamaha doesn't! While you guys are mating, I'll be racing. You don't need a mating whistle when you've got ballz to ride a Yamaha!

Just kiddin' guys! LOL!

I've been red all of my life but we'll have to wait 'till next year to see if I chose the right one (Fo' Fitty Yammy Haw). So far I think I have but we've not seen any stock one's out yet. I think "Big Red" dropped the ball on this one.

Fred

86atc250r
09-11-2003, 06:33 PM
What's up with all the wagon jumpers saying "I think big red dropped the ball on this one?"

What part of this quad is not up to par?

The chassis is every bit as good, likely better than the Yamaha.

The engine is right there...

Reliability will likely be better.

Shocks are on par.

Lighter weight

:confused:

Show me the light - I'm lost on this ball dropping.

In reality, they will both be excellent quads - you probably won't be able to go wrong with either.

toby400ex
09-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Theyll be like the most evenly matched quads honda and yamaha have ever had. It will be just like dirtbikes.:o

Bill Fuller
09-11-2003, 06:37 PM
The only thing I can figure is because it is kick start only.I really like the new beast but I can't understand why they didn't take the time to incorperate a electric start,this is the ONLY place I feel yamaha is better.Will that make me buy a yahmaha......HELL NO!!!

BigAl
09-11-2003, 07:09 PM
I hate to be a wagon jumper, but I was holding off on a blue YFZ to see what Big Red would provide for us.

The things I see as advantages for the YFZ:

1. one inch more suspension travel on each end. (could be the way they measure)
2. FCR carb. The TRX apparently has a butterfly carb?

3. higher compression ratio YFZ=11.9-1 TRX=10.5-1

4. Electric start ( see old and slow eswhere in this post.)

5. one inch lower seat hieght.

6. for me the YFZ looks race ready with little or no extra investment. With the A-arm and rear linkage design I expect the stock suspension to be plenty for me. (I'm old and slow). The 46 " width is also about right for my mix of trail and MX riding.

TRX advantages

1. HONDA HONDA HONDA. Craftsmanship, fit and finish, RELIABILITY!

2. I have a bunch of 400ex parts that I bet will bolt right on. The a-arms and swingarm look identical to me. That is a good thing for a guy who already has a wad invested in that stuff and was very smart on Hondas part.

3.did I say its a Honda?

I am ready to simplify things around my shop, and I think I could be basically happy with a stock YFZ. (jetting , pipe, lid, tires, bars).

The TRX looks to me like it needs an exta $1000 worth of stuff to be equal.

I will probably regret buying a Yamaha, but maybe4 by January I will have learned my lesson and can still trade for a new TRX!

cool 300ex
09-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Wow high tech...

86atc250r
09-11-2003, 10:22 PM
You bring up some good points Al...

My thoughts on what you're looking at...

Suspension travel - I've learned not to trust manufacturer numbers. However, even if they are correct I'm more interested in action, balance, etc. than small travel differences.. Honda usually nails that stuff pretty well. Even a stock 400EX handles pretty well - it's stock shocks just aren't up to jumping much..

Higher compression and carb - yes the FCR will be a bunch better than the butterfly carb, I've been riding an FCR on my 400EX for a good long while now. I'm quite surprised Honda ditched it in favor of crap. However, the 40mm FCR is less than $350 from Honda. Compression - The Honda engine has a better head design and uses less compression to build power than the YFZ -- still would have like to seen it closer to original spec.

e-start - to each his own :) -- I'm still undecided on this one. I like the pure sport factor of the kick only and definitely like the kick over electric only (I've lost races because my e-start failed during a harescramble). I'll agree that the magic button sure is nice though (when it works :))

Seat height - that I'll believe when I see it... According to manufacturer specs the LTZ400 has a lower seat height than a 400EX - not true in the least.

The things I'm looking at (considering both)...

It's true, the CRF may require a couple items to bring the engine to it's full potential - however, the initial cost is also lower & I could never leave the engine closed up anyway.

Another big factor is with the difference in replacement parts cost, I can afford to pour a lot more money into customization with the cost of Honda replacement parts vs Yamaha.

Then there's always the reliability factor....

I also like the looks of the TRX's chassis better than the YFZ's.

All that said though - I really don't think a person could go wrong with either, they'll be very close in performance, both stock and modified.

Just getting tired of listening to all the kids wagon jumping, saying "Honda dropped the ball" or "the YFZ is going to kill the TRX" - I seriously doubt either will be a lone dominant force.

Woody_YFZ
09-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Theyll be like the most evenly matched quads honda and yamaha have ever had. It will be just like dirtbikes.:o

Well said.

oldsandman
09-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Al and 86 excellent takes! somone is thinking not just reacting.

twisted threads
09-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by oldsandman
Al and 86 excellent takes! somone is thinking not just reacting.
I Agree!:cool:

kwatts400
09-12-2003, 01:31 AM
If they are close, which I think they will be, it will be all up to the rider anyway.

yamblaster200
09-12-2003, 06:52 AM
they will be close...as the specs show. However Honda will come out on top just like they always do. In '85 and '86 the 250r tri-z and tecate 3 were all close in specs...but what was winning and what do we see more of today. Same holds true for the trx 250r quadracer 250 and tecate 4. I read a shootout between the 3 from back in the day...and they gave the win to the suzy. Shows you can't believe what shootouts conclude. If they were to race 3 wheelers again...everyone would be on the 250r. In the pro class almost everyone is on the trx 250r....if god forbid they stop production of high performance quads, 10 yrs from now everyone will be racing the new 450r...and in the sport class or whatever they call the class for 400's...z kfx ex, 10 yrs from now everyone would be on ex's. Honda is just the best at what they do....and i do not doubt that this new quad will be any different.

BigAl
09-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Gabe, you are right on every point, and I'm sure not bashing the TRX, I hate the thought of buying a Yamaha and then fixing the rinky-dink stuff they put on it. Tie rods and ends are a very big concern.

Replacement part prices is a big deal to me, I hate being ripped a new one by the aftermarket companies, I have been through a couple steering stems and a-arms, and some other stuff just because I could buy 2 or 3 factory parts for the price of one aftermarket part that may or may not last as long.

I guess I am a little miffed, that Yamaha finally got it right, or close to right, and Honda jumps in with an announcement of a (slightly subpar) offering, that my dealer says may be released like the CRF250 R .........(closer to spring, than Jan)

I also have some experience with the 426 we built one for a friend of mine about a year ago, and I LOVE that engine, it has caused no trouble, and with a flywheel weight, and one finger on the clutch it is a blast to ride.

86atc250r
09-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Yep, I got a first ride on a 250F last weekend, what a great engine..

The YFZ sure is tempting... I'm going to wait - parts prices and hopefully, parts interchangability will make the wait worth it for me. The worst part about a YFZ would be having to start over with the aftermarket stuff and all the little nuisances like you mentioned.

TCracin440ex
09-14-2003, 12:36 PM
people piss me off........yall talkin shyt bout the 450r and it aint even came out yet....wait till it comes out....ne ways its a honda.....ILL OWN IT FOR SURE.....id never own a yamajunk....besides this is EXriders a honda website...why u talkin shyt bout hondas??? u cant talk junk untill you see the bike run....

gncc571
09-15-2003, 04:02 PM
I'm with you tcracin440ex, the way I see it if they are yamaha fans why are they on here, they belong on Bluetraxx.:grr:

Got Huevos?
09-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by BigAl
I guess I am a little miffed, that Yamaha finally got it right, or close to right, and Honda jumps in with an announcement of a (slightly subpar) offering

subpar?! what the hell are you talking about subpar its the same damn thing Yamaha has only with a couple more CC's in the engine a shorter Suspension.not to mention have u riddin one lately? can u write a full truthful review or can anyone write a full review on how it handles how many HP and so on. im still trying to figure out how people can be disappionted with soemthing that they have little to not clue about besides the specs on paper.i will finish here and keep trying to think of how people can critisize something they never touched and not to mention it wont be out will next year giving at least 3 months for honda to make any changes and im sure they are not done with the bike.

linkcmd88
09-15-2003, 05:19 PM
what it will all come down to is what name is on the bike power wise they will be close so do you like red or blue

edgerat
09-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
people piss me off........yall talkin shyt bout the 450r and it aint even came out yet....wait till it comes out....ne ways its a honda.....ILL OWN IT FOR SURE.....id never own a yamajunk....besides this is EXriders a honda website...why u talkin shyt bout hondas??? u cant talk junk untill you see the bike run....

This coming from a kid who lists a block-off plate and shaved plastics in his sig.......... J/k :)

BigAl
09-15-2003, 06:49 PM
RIF... thanks for playing kids.

TCracin440ex
09-15-2003, 06:50 PM
hey edger talk your junk...its the internet i dont get pissed off over something like that...but you talk your junk untill u see me ride or come to my local mx track....dont talk smack...

Guy400
09-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Alright, how about we get this thread back on the topic of the 450R?

TCracin440ex
09-15-2003, 06:57 PM
ok then...here goes....my dealer told me that the 450r has stock 53 hp and with the honda kit they are offering it will take the bike to 60 hp....and thats w/o exhaust, a bigger compression ratio piston, rejett, and air filter....i dont kno...call bull sh*t but we will never know unless we get it dynoed ourselves...i kno if my dealers intel is right then that bike will be nasty...

noreaster79
09-15-2003, 07:24 PM
I my self am so very tempted to go out an buy the yzf. In fact I went to the dealer to pick one up on Sat but they sold there last one. Specs are just that specs. How long have we been reading in magazines that the 400 is underpowered and just not up to par with the other machines out there. But I know for myself that the only other machine I would have considered would have been a R. I think that I am going to finish out the season on the 400. I think honda when it comes out will be an excellent machine. Time will tell which machine will dominate. Many people have said that they are disappointed that the new 450r is just an updated 400ex. I myself think that this is awesome. Every review has always had the 400 only lacking in power and now we will have that. As far as having to add aftermarket parts to the quad well I thin we all know that we will all do this anyway to make it just theway we want it. I will probably hold off on my purchase till Spring to see the facts. I will tell you one thing for sure the honda will be reliable as hell.

phatswinn
09-16-2003, 08:46 PM
this is the way i think of it, if everyone is gunna race these stock quads people will buy aftermarket shocks, a-arms, swinger, axle and tires anyway, along with pipes etc.. everyone wants the faster quad, so to me if ur gunna race it you are gunna want tripple rate fully adjustable shocks and your going to want to make it as wide as the rules say you can anyway, so the serious racers shouldent really be looking at the seat hight and bottoming out measurements because they can always be changed, instead look at the handling characteristics, ive ridden many z400's and there tippier than my 300ex, and the blasters warriors and raptors are about there too, plus on the z the gears arent at as close of a range as they should be, if you miss shift you get no power, they almost have the power band of a 2 stroke compared to a honda engine.

kickstart- if you dont wear friggin tennis shoes ur going to be fine, you have a more stable stance on the quad over the bike anyway and as long as ya dont get hit in the shins you'll be fine

everyone does something with there plastics, (shaved, graphics etc..) most quads dont look the same at the track anyway

so to me its all in what you want, your preferences may differ from others and thats why theres a choice, i think primarly in this catagory the rider will make all the difference, yami and honda engineers did good this time, also racing is backed by the corps. maybe the races will be on espn and stuff