PDA

View Full Version : shame on honda

Creech52
09-11-2003, 04:30 PM
I am all for hondas, when I owned a suzuki it broke all the time and when I needed to go riding and the suzuki was broke I busted out my beat old honda 70 and ripped up and down the street, and it started everytime, pulled my big a** around, and never gave me problems. even as a kid when it was my main ride and I beat the hell outta it I never had a problem. But I think the new 450 was all hyped up by honda, and looking at the specs its nowhere as trick as it seemed it would be. I just hope the specs are decieving and its as good as honda claims. The looks are ok but I dont like how the front fenders sit so high and look folded up. I dont plan on buying one anytime soon if I decide to get one because its never a good thing to buy a first year quad because they all have problems and its best to wait till all the bugs get fixed and you know what the long term reliability is, it should be good cuz its a honda but you never know, they let us down with the aluminum frame and such so they might let us down in the reliability department too. Ok I am done pi**ing and moaning about the new bike,

joeroadking
09-11-2003, 04:42 PM
you are not alone in your thoughts I am dissapointed as well but it is still amajor step up from the 400ex but they could have done a lot more development in the last 15years not flaming just mad that it is not the new 250r that I was hopeing for !!!!:mad:
Any body else want to step up and vent!!! it is good to get it off your chest I feel better already !

09-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Creech52
I am all for hondas, when I owned a suzuki it broke all the time and when I needed to go riding and the suzuki was broke I busted out my beat old honda 70 and ripped up and down the street, and it started everytime, pulled my big a** around, and never gave me problems. even as a kid when it was my main ride and I beat the hell outta it I never had a problem. But I think the new 450 was all hyped up by honda, and looking at the specs its nowhere as trick as it seemed it would be. I just hope the specs are decieving and its as good as honda claims. The looks are ok but I dont like how the front fenders sit so high and look folded up. I dont plan on buying one anytime soon if I decide to get one because its never a good thing to buy a first year quad because they all have problems and its best to wait till all the bugs get fixed and you know what the long term reliability is, it should be good cuz its a honda but you never know, they let us down with the aluminum frame and such so they might let us down in the reliability department too. Ok I am done pi**ing and moaning about the new bike,

After seein Cannondale go bankrupt from offering a quad that all us racers want,,with Aluminum Frame, EFI, top of the line shocks, etc, etc, etc. I really can't blame them for what they've done. I think a few extra things coulda been added but living up to the hype that everyone wanted and again seein what happened to cannondale I can't blame them. We will see the quad we want from honda at one point..but right now it's not time....:ermm:

My views on it. I like it:macho But the only thing that I like about it compared to my quad is the motor,,,and maybe the dual piston front brakes. IMO those 2 things are the only things better than whats on mine...:devil: Well a better rider on mine wouldn't hurt either....:tired:

Juggalo
09-11-2003, 07:42 PM
i can see what your sayin rico but a company like honda definatley has the money to keep the place up and running. they make MUCH MUCH more money than cannondale. i am willing to bet hondas weekly earnings is more than cannondales yearly earnings. they coulda released a twin spar frame quad and all that and if it failed which it probably wouldn't have because they already have a huge network of dealers all over the world, and a loyal following, they woulda been perfectly fine. i was really hopin for a little more than what we got. i was impressed with the yamaha when it came out but i am definatley disapointed in honda. and say what you want but i think its rediculous for the quad to be that ugly. they have always made good lookin quads in the past so what the hell where they thinkin when they designed this one!?

Woodsrider
09-11-2003, 08:27 PM
I have to agree with you Juggalo. That has got to be the ugliest fuggin front end I have ever seen. Fullbores are def. a must ;)
Not to worry though, I aint fast enought to justify a new quad:ermm:

toby400ex
09-11-2003, 08:37 PM
I think it looks pretty cool. And everything about it is up to par with the yfz if not better in some areas. I dont see the big deal about the aluminum frame either. How much lighter would it be anyway, and would you guys wanna be paying for that frame. I think the best thing that will come from this is that fact that Honda is gonna sponsor Tim Farr, thats a huge step and that seems to be way more than yamaha has done so far.

MXQUAD294
09-11-2003, 08:39 PM
.http://e.domaindlx.com/TimmyK/MVC-022S.JPG

toby400ex
09-11-2003, 08:59 PM
I dont know about all u ******es but that is a nice looking quad. Better looking than most $20,000 250r's/:o

MXQUAD294
09-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
I dont know about all u ******es but that is a nice looking quad. Better looking than most $20,000 250r's/:o

Amen brother!

Creech52
09-11-2003, 09:30 PM
I know an aluminum frame and all that may not make a difference, but my point is the whole fact of all the hype that went around about how great it is, and how honda claimed for it to be so great, and upon seeing the specs I am deffinetly not impressed, they didnt use any new technology or anything that puts it at the head of its class, just a frame with a bike motor, raptor tires, some halfway decent looks, and sport quad suspension...whoopee. I would buy a 250R before I bought the YZF but for someone in the market for a new 4 stroke sport/race quad the $400 more YZF seems like a better choice. All in all honda could have done way better.

09-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by MXQUAD294
Amen brother!

:rolleyes: :confused2

trx400ex
09-11-2003, 10:08 PM
HUGE dissapointment, i am glad i didnt wait...only thing that i like is the motor, other than that its basically a 400ex no new innovations or technology that everyone promised and said to wait for...

suzukiz400rider
09-11-2003, 10:33 PM
very pissed at them saying its the "new R" not even close. its not even a r is a x

coryatver
09-11-2003, 10:37 PM
What exactly were all you guys looking for? Whats wrong with the 450r frame? Sure its just like the 400ex's which was just like the 250rs which is just like the aftermarket. I don't think anyone has ever complained about honda frames before! The design works. Yamaha had to make a new frame becuase they sure were not using the raptors, banshees, warrors or blasters for a race bike. What is it that you want that it doesn't have? I don't know if you relize this but you can't just stuff a motorcycle motor in a quad frame and sell it to joe shmoe who doesn't even change the oil in his own car. Honda made the motor so it will be reliable and I think it is worth loosing some horsepower. Whats wrong with kick start. If you are to lazy to kick it this is not a quad to sit down and cruise on. I saw a couple yfz's at taylortown that had to be pushed off the line becuase there batteries went dead and they couldn't get them to start.

suzukiz400rider
09-11-2003, 10:43 PM
ITS A 400EX WITH A CRF MOTOR, YAMAHA MADE A TOTALLY NEW FRAME FROM GROUND UP TO ENSURE IT WAS FITTING TO ADAPT THAT POWER HOUSE OF A MOTOR, HONDA TOOK TOO LONG TO MAKE SUCH A UGLY QUAD, KNOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT THEY REALLY NEVER DID, EXCEPT FOR THE R

I DONT LIKE THE HEADLIGHTS, THATS WHAT KILLS IT, ALSO NO ALUMINUM FRAME, NO ELECTRIC START OPTION, NO REVERSE, NO OTHER COLORS. NOTHING REALLY MADE ME GO WOW I WANT IT, BUT WHEN I SAW THAT YAMAHA I WAS LIKE WOW THATS A QUAD, THEY OFFER AN OPTION OF KICK START IF YOU WANT IT, AND YES SOME WANT ELECTRIC START, THOSE WHO DONT GO MAKE IT KICK START.

YAMAHA HAS BEEN LOYAL TO THE PUBLIC
THEY OFFER THE MOST SPORT QUADS IN EVERY RANGE AND EVEN STILL TO DATE SELL 2 STROKES. HONDA IS KNOWN TO BE A BETTER OVERALL PACKAGE BUT ANY QUAD WILL LAST IF TAKEN CARE OFF PROPERLY.

ANOTHER THING WERE IS THE BIG GUY MARKET QUAD, WHY DIDNT HONDA COME OUT WITH A BIG BORE 650EX TO COMPETE WITH THE RAPTOR, WE ALL ARE NOT RACERS. SOME OF US LIKE TO JUST DO ALL TYPES OF RIDING AND NEED A OVERALL QUAD SUCH AS THE Z400 400EX BANSHEE BLASTER RAPTOR ETC..

Mattman88
09-12-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by suzukiz400rider
ITS A 400EX WITH A CRF MOTOR, YAMAHA MADE A TOTALLY NEW FRAME FROM GROUND UP TO ENSURE IT WAS FITTING TO ADAPT THAT POWER HOUSE OF A MOTOR, HONDA TOOK TOO LONG TO MAKE SUCH A UGLY QUAD, KNOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT THEY REALLY NEVER DID, EXCEPT FOR THE R

I DONT LIKE THE HEADLIGHTS, THATS WHAT KILLS IT, ALSO NO ALUMINUM FRAME, NO ELECTRIC START OPTION, NO REVERSE, NO OTHER COLORS. NOTHING REALLY MADE ME GO WOW I WANT IT, BUT WHEN I SAW THAT YAMAHA I WAS LIKE WOW THATS A QUAD, THEY OFFER AN OPTION OF KICK START IF YOU WANT IT, AND YES SOME WANT ELECTRIC START, THOSE WHO DONT GO MAKE IT KICK START.

YAMAHA HAS BEEN LOYAL TO THE PUBLIC
THEY OFFER THE MOST SPORT QUADS IN EVERY RANGE AND EVEN STILL TO DATE SELL 2 STROKES. HONDA IS KNOWN TO BE A BETTER OVERALL PACKAGE BUT ANY QUAD WILL LAST IF TAKEN CARE OFF PROPERLY.

ANOTHER THING WERE IS THE BIG GUY MARKET QUAD, WHY DIDNT HONDA COME OUT WITH A BIG BORE 650EX TO COMPETE WITH THE RAPTOR, WE ALL ARE NOT RACERS. SOME OF US LIKE TO JUST DO ALL TYPES OF RIDING AND NEED A OVERALL QUAD SUCH AS THE Z400 400EX BANSHEE BLASTER RAPTOR ETC..

i personally agree with what he said 100% but hey thats just my opinion so of you may have a different opinion but who cares

remlapr
09-12-2003, 05:53 PM
I'm definately disappointed. I can't believe it doesn't have electric start. That is pretty much a deal breaker for me. My old 3-wheeler when I was a kid was pull start and in the winter it was a nightmare to get the thing started. Like I told one of my buddies - I'm not paying all that money to stand out in the cold freezing my arse off trying to KICK START a brand new quad! IMO - they did this to make it seem more "hardcore" then it really is. Didn't someone already say something about another "X" version. Maybe they will actually release both comes next spring - the "X" will have electric start and maybe not have the same shocks? I don't know. I also think it sucks that it isn't going to be available until January?? What's that all about? You have to admit - when the Yammy was introduced they were ready to ship! You could go pick up a YFZ right off the floor at pretty much any Yammy dealer a couple of weeks later. The only thing I'm really happy about at this point is that all of the cards are on the table. Everything that's coming out is here, so at least if I buy something new there is very little chance of a new model coming out in the next 2 years I would think. Although I had heard awhile back that the Z will get a 450 and new frame - but keep the same geometry - for '05. But that would just be an update really.

Hey - I really do feel better :)

chad502ex
09-12-2003, 06:36 PM
OK, so HONDA didn't release an ALL aluminum frame, fi, electric start or reverse, it's still going to be the fastest and have the most potential than any 439YAMI will ever have. As far as the reverse, I only go forward when I ride- not backwards. I do, however, agree with the no electric start being a complete bummer, but I usually ride XC and average 50-100 miles a day, so starting should only occur a few times a day. Let's hope the starting assist really does assist. As far as the looks, I'm really impressed- I think it looks mean as h3ll. The motor has serious potential. Horsepower, think low 40's stock and 70% gain after bore/stroke/port-flow/exhaust/filter/valve job and you'll easy get 65-80 hp and double or triple the torque.

Beleive me when I say,..... start saving your pennies. If Tim Far is,...then so should you!

Chad502EX.com

400exBro
09-12-2003, 06:39 PM
personaly the motor and what they have done is a lot better then the yamaha, in that comparment, but it looks sloppy... i was very disapoint when i saw it i was like "god that is on ugly mofo" who ever designed it was on crack or something...

i am extrmely pleased to see the kick started instead of eletric, the motor pleases me, their cam, carb and pipe kit, but that is it... it looks to much like the z400, artic cat 400, the yamaha is all orginal design, that machine looks mint, it looks like "ride me hard you *****, i am a high performance machine" the honda looks like" damn easy up on the throttle" but o well, i will probably like it when i see it in person but those are my first impersions of it... but my mind changes easily!!!

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-12-2003, 06:47 PM
look at my sig for my opinion on the trx450r:tired:

dirtriderex
09-12-2003, 06:55 PM
The yami has the same sh*tty plastics. Are all you guys***because the honda may not look as good, but you yfz owners won't see the fronts in a race, only the tail light of a 450r:macho

Pappy
09-12-2003, 06:58 PM
you fellas wanna talk tech about the honda and yammy thats fine...

you wanna start bashin each other your gonna get the boot

suzukiz400rider
09-12-2003, 07:53 PM
all atvs are great and I shouldnt bash the honda, as I am sure its a good atv, But thought for the time they had they should of made us drop to the ground and thank god we waited that long and showed us what they really could of built, and really then use the name "R" Who here doesnt agree with me on that! its no "R" its an "X" and anyone who owns a "R" is going to hold on to what they know they have. Thumbs up to all the big 4 guys, keep-em coming, this has to be the best time to be in the atv business except for having no places to ride in nj or ny that are good.

Creech52
09-12-2003, 07:55 PM
To sum it all up, honda let us down, they put a wicked motor in a plain jane frame with medioker (sp) suspension and ugly looks. Nothing to really blow you away. So what it didnt have an aluminum frame, who cares theres no efi, and we can live with a kick start, but whats the point of buying an ordinary quad when there are so many quads with at least a few technilogical advances. blah

CHAR250R
09-12-2003, 08:10 PM
When I first saw pics of the new Yamaha, I thought it was ugly. Then I saw it in person. I like it. I've seen pics of the 450r, and I think it's ugly, too. Hopefully, it's better looking in person. If Honda is putting Tim Farr on it, you know it ain't no joke. I've been a bandwagon Honda man forever, but that 450f is nice. As long as I have my 250r, I won't need either of the new 450's. I can't wait to ride those 450's either.:D

forum
09-12-2003, 09:36 PM
it looks totaly orignal without the front fenders on.

Mr_Bub400ex
09-12-2003, 09:40 PM
i think that the yfz has the same basic looks as a raptor.. imo. i work at a dealership and i have a hard time telling between the craptor and the yfz...not original looks. the honda however, looks kinda like the dvx but how could honda have known? personally i think it is better to get it then dump 2500 into my 400ex to make it as fast. all u built 400's though, id keep em.mine however is going in the paper

quadnice
09-12-2003, 10:24 PM
It's a NEW Honda!!!
Can we say Chain Adjustment???
Round Housing???
Zuki - needs swingarm
Yammy - needs it
Polaris - ???

killerworm
09-13-2003, 12:07 AM
Alright, I gotta ask...where did all the "HYPE" come from? This website played it up with the original 1 million reply post. That's why everyone's expectations got so high. Take a step back from God's quad and look at things in reality. No one knows what this quad will do yet and everyone is speculating what this machine is capable of. No doubt the 250 R was revolutionary! We'll see in a couple of months whether big bro here is up to expectations or not. Honda let us know what we wanted to hear...a new race quad for sale this year. You don't like it...buy something else. I'll wait a bit to buy but have my faith in this company!

R-Crazy
09-13-2003, 08:11 AM
the non-aluminum frame let me down, and no EFI, but yet everyone is saying how a 250r is better, but stock for stock, im sure a 450r would kill a 250r. now, you can pick a WORKED 250r for the price of a 450r, but stock for stock, and both new, i think the 450r is a decent quad, and worthy of the R title. yes, i think it is ugly just like most of you, i dont think it compares to the c-dale at least from a technology point of view, but yet the dale only put out about 35 HP stock. im sure this thing will put out more, and will weigh less, so wait till it comes out to start bashing.

dave

tants
09-13-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex

the classic looks of the 250r will always look beter then the 450R imo... 100bucks says racers will find a way to rig 250r style plastics on that thing...

:huh

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by tants
the classic looks of the 250r will always look beter then the 450R imo... 100bucks says racers will find a way to rig 250r style plastics on that thing...

:huh

that, or some company will make a nice hood for it:)

400exBro
09-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
that, or some company will make a nice hood for it:)

Fibe industries better be working on one as soon as it comes out...

does anyone think that the rear fenders are detaceable like the 400ex and 250r?? i like that, it is so easy to gain access to everything, makes it easier to take everything apart as well... let just hope so...

o and the look will start to get to you, becuase i am starting to like it... lets just hope it doesn't sit as high as the suzki z400, i was hoping pretty much the same height as the 250r, but that probably won't work to well with the 4 banger engine in it...

the yella yeti
09-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Everyone keeps saying how the 250r looks so much better and was more innovative than the new trx450. The 250rs everyone sees are aftermarket. When's the last time you saw a bone stock 250r? stock 250r vs stock 450r -the 450r is much more refined and faster. just my 2 cents. :cool:

86atc250r
09-13-2003, 10:45 AM
What is wrong with you people?

This is no more a "400EX frame" than it is a "250r" frame.

Sure, it is of the same basic design as the most winning, most dominant frame design in History. Would Honda have been better off to completely change it? Maybe do something like a Banshee frame, or a LT250R?

If you have any knowledge of Honda's frames, you can see right off that this one has been tweaked. It does appear to be very similar to the 400ex/250r front end and overall design - but again, how can this possibly be a bad thing? A tweaked & updated 250r geometry chassis made specifically for a 450R engine...

"Plain jane" chassis, mediocre suspension, etc?? What are you talking about? This thing has suspension that appears to be at least on par with the Yamaha - the chassis needs no explanation.

Yes, Yamaha did come out with a brand new frame design for the YFZ450 - but they absolutely HAD to if they wanted a competitive machine. Does this mean the YFZ's chassis is "better" than the Honda? Absolutely not - in fact, in key areas, the YFZ chassis mimics Honda's geometry. Only time will tell if the YFZ handles as well as the Honda or vice versa, as of right now, no one but a handful of Honda insiders knows.

The YFZ also does suffer from what I consider a couple mistakes - for one, they used little frame rake - there is no way to fix this. I've also heard lots of complaints about the caster setting, which isn't adjustable unless you get aftermarket arms.

Take a close look at the YFZ frame vs the new TRX frame:
http://www.xcracing.com/gabe/

Notice how much more compact the TRX's frame is - the rail above the engine - the down tubes that run down the front. To me, it appears that the TRX frame will be a lot more rigid and structurally sound than the YFZ.

These two quads will be very competitive with each other - those of you who think otherwise are lost.

dirtriderex
09-13-2003, 11:10 AM
amen to that, lets just get an electric start on that puppy:D

400grl
09-13-2003, 07:10 PM
I will be very interested to read these posts again a few months after the 450r has been tearing up the MX tracks......it seems as if Honda gave everyone just what they had been asking for....only now it seems to be changing. I remember when everyone was totally gung-ho for a kickstart quad....now I am reading that the electric start is better....this is nuts. Seems to me Honda has given us what we want, without being dumb enough to give us EVERYTHING we want......like a parent. They know their limits...they know what will hold up and what will not...what is practical and what might just let us down at some cricital point in a series....and I think we just need to trust them for the manufacturers that they have proven themselves to be, time and time again. Patience, people!!!! This is just one of those things time will tell....and I think the Honda is going to do just fine.

chad502ex
09-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
I will be very interested to read these posts again a few months after the 450r has been tearing up the MX tracks......it seems as if Honda gave everyone just what they had been asking for....only now it seems to be changing. I remember when everyone was totally gung-ho for a kickstart quad....now I am reading that the electric start is better....this is nuts. Seems to me Honda has given us what we want, without being dumb enough to give us EVERYTHING we want......like a parent. They know their limits...they know what will hold up and what will not...what is practical and what might just let us down at some cricital point in a series....and I think we just need to trust them for the manufacturers that they have proven themselves to be, time and time again. Patience, people!!!! This is just one of those things time will tell....and I think the Honda is going to do just fine.

400grl, Well said! Very impressive thoughts.

:)

Chad502EX.com