PDA

View Full Version : 400ex vs 450r

hsr
09-11-2003, 11:04 AM
I dont understand what the big deal is w/ everyone not liking the fact that the 450 is a lot like the 400ex. Well what's wrong w/ the 400ex other than it could have maybe used a more potent powerplant...and the 450's got it. The 400ex had/has it goin on with frame geometry and just about everything else. It would have been stupid for honda to not base the 450 off of the very successful 400ex. You read every shootout and comparison you want w/ the 400ex in it and the only place that it's lacking is in the motor department.
And this quad is intened to be a racer. You don't see crf450f motocross bikes with batteries and electric starts, why would they put one on their race quad. If you really don't like it that much there's a good chance that this quad probably isn't for you. Sure it took honda long enough to come out with this thing but what more do some people want? There is always room for improvement, but hell this is a good start. Better than building a one off $15,000 custom 250r or 450f conversion. ;)

ATC83
09-11-2003, 11:15 AM
I hope you realize that both Honda and Yamaha are working on an electric start for there motocross bikes. The only holdback so far is getting a battery that is light enough and has more than one start in it. Doug Dubauck already has an electric start kit available for the YZ450F motocross bike on his web page, Dr. D Racing. If you have ever crashed during a moto on your CRF450 or YZ450F motocross bike and tried to get it restarted you are just about guaranteed to DNF. Me personally I'll take the electric start on a racing 4-stroke.