PDA

View Full Version : Sportbike or New Quad?

MotoRacer
09-11-2003, 09:02 AM
I was looking into either the 04 yamaha r6, or the 04 cbr600rr for a sportbike..but I also wanted to get either the new yfz450 or the trx450r...what are your opinions on the best choice? one or the other. Thanks.

Kyle

lil400exman
09-11-2003, 09:11 AM
the 04 cbr from what i heard is a BAD MUTHA! and look how high that things revs and its a honda cant beat it with a stick!:D

MOUSE
09-11-2003, 09:31 AM
ive sat on the 600rr and personally i didnt like the feel of the bike as compared to the cbr600f4i. the f4 to me was 10 times more comfy, on the rr the handlebars feel much lower feels like you almost laying on the gas tank and the point of the gas tank that is between your legs is much wider than the f4, and to me feels like a mack truck between my legs.

i would say f4 but im biased cause in my opinion its more comfortable but you might feel different

Scott400EX
09-11-2003, 09:35 AM
i agree i just got a F4i friday and id have to say get a street bike.
I got a good dealon it other wise i would have gotten a Zx6r they are mad muthas too. Its not a honda but i still ride it

Derno24
09-11-2003, 09:45 AM
If you could afford it you should buy both the quad and the bike. I know this is a honda site, but I have to say the R6 is a tuff street bike and the kawasaki zx6r is a mean bike. It really depends what you want to do. If you are just toying around go with what feels the most comfortable. I personally have ridden all of these street bikes and liked the r6 or zx6r best. Wasn't very impressed with the honda. Whatever you choose to buy you have to be happy with it. I own a Hayabusa now. Just remember whatever you buy "ride safe".

400exmom
09-11-2003, 09:47 AM
best choice would be getem all baby!! wahoo i cant bury myself in debt enough!:devil: :blah:

MotoRacer
09-11-2003, 10:10 AM
i've never sat on the r6..the dealers all around here have been sold out of them for months now..i just sat on the cbrr last night, and i liked it...it isn't something i am going to be on for a long time, or for long periods..just wanted a sweet bike to toy with, and cruize around on sunny dry days...it is still up in the air...i think sportbike may be the way to go though.

Kyle

MOUSE
09-11-2003, 01:03 PM
i like the f4 better than the r6 also because of the feel of it

Derno24
09-11-2003, 01:19 PM
you know what makes this difficult. By me they won't allow you to take a test ride to see if you like the feel. This makes you feel what it might be like in the showroom. Feel in the showroom changes quickly when you are on the road. Make sure you get whatever is comfortable to you. Each bike excels at one thing or another. The only thing that I have witnessed is if you are going to do any drag racing/street drags with the bike the Honda's are more prone to smoke the clutch. The other thing, by me, the dealers want more for the r or honda. The other dealers are more willing to deal on the suzuki or the kawasaki's. So if price is a factor look around at the other 2. They are all just as fast as one another so speed shouldn't be the issue.

K2Snow
09-11-2003, 03:17 PM
kawi, suzuki, honda, and yammi all ahve great streetbikes. performance wise, you'd be ok going with any of them. like everyone else said, buy what feels right to you. i read an article on the 600rr and the f4i. this is an excerpt from it "If you want to own a great all-around 600cc sport bike and are willing to sacrifice the additional performance offered by the RR, you simply cannot go wrong with the CBR600F4i--- a bike whose enviable accomplishments are a matter of long-standing record. On the other hand, if you fancy yourself a cutting-edge kind of sportbike rider, the RR is your machine." motoracer, if it is your first bike, i wouldn't step up to an RR. the r6's are nice, but i hear they are geared more towards racing. you might consider the suzuki gsxr's, that's what i'd like to end up getting. plenty of power there, and a great bike altogether. as for the bike vs. quad thing, that is tough. go with whatever you will use more. both are a big investment, spend it on something that you are gonna get some use out of. good luck bro

veddersbetter
09-11-2003, 03:33 PM
If you already have a quad...get a bike. Youll never look back. I love my bike and hopefully Ill never see the day when I cant own one. I dont know if your experienced on a bike or not but if you are look into some kind of Vtwin. Honda RC51, Suzuki TL1000R, Buell. Once you ride a Vtwin sportbike you'll know exactly why I say this. The difference from a twin to an inline cant be measured on paper...the feel to me is sooo much better. Id compare it to a 2 stroke (as the inline) to a 4 stroke (as the twin). Also the exhaust note is very satisfying and turns alot of heads.
Browse through this board to help your decision..
www.sportbikes.net

MotoRacer
09-11-2003, 04:35 PM
heres another thing...i've had quads for years now, but when i talk about sportbikes to my parents(mom mostly), she is againist it..i mean, she can't really do anything about it, but i respect her opinion, and wouldn't do anythign to make her unhappy..what can i do to sway her opinion? Thanks.

Kyle

MotoRacer
09-11-2003, 04:35 PM
she is afraid i would get hit by another car, not because i would screw up or something..

K2Snow
09-11-2003, 05:24 PM
moto, emphasize the fact that accidents happen no matter what you are doing, and that risk is a part of the sport. how old are you anyway?

JLanphear
09-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by MotoRacer
heres another thing...i've had quads for years now, but when i talk about sportbikes to my parents(mom mostly), she is againist it..i mean, she can't really do anything about it, but i respect her opinion, and wouldn't do anythign to make her unhappy..what can i do to sway her opinion? Thanks.

Kyle

Tell her that if you get a quad you are going to attempt the backflip.... :p

Regarding the bikes....When I first saw that 600rr I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: . Very sweet bike. I'm not sure if Motorcycle mags are natorious for lying such as some "other" mags we know of, but they had a test a few months back pitting a lot of the top sportbikes together. I believe that the Yamaha R6 and the GSXR 600 both had faster lap times than the 600RR....what does this mean? Maybe nothing, maybe something...lol.

If I had my choice of any bike out there I woulda picked the 954rr, that is Until Honda announced the 1000rr....Looks pretty sick. It's on their site under new models. Why would you need one that big? I guess you could even say that about the 600's.

Oh and that new Honda Dream 50 thing looks pretty sweet too ;) .

JLanphear
09-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Oh, and I also meant to say that like some of the other guys were saying, just about any late model bike you get is gonna be nice. There are people who are fans of each certain brand for one reason or another. I would say to look around for an unbelievable deal and snag it up.

-Josh

MotoRacer
09-11-2003, 07:14 PM
I kind of have my heart set on either the the Honda CBR600RR, or the yamaha r6...i REALLY like the center up exhaust..i like the r6's looks a bit better..performace wise, they are REAL close to each other according to the mags..tough call...whatever I can get the best deal on, will be the choice..the RR is also liek 600 more i think.

Kyle

mrusk
09-11-2003, 07:26 PM
MotoRacer- Your going to be pretty pissed off when you drop your brand new 8k sportbike on the secound day and have to buy 1000 in fairings. 18 year olds and sportbikes dont mix. Dont try to tell us you are any different then the rest of the kids out their. I work at a dealership. Almost every sport bike we sell to someone under 20 comes back after it been dropped by 1000 miles.
Do you have any idea what insurance will run you on the bike? 1500 a year. Oh i forgot, daddy is paying that. Then you got another 1500 bucks you got to spend on safety gear. The street is a dangerous place. Asfalt does not give a damn about you. The other cars don't see you. A modern day 600cc sportbike is a rocketship. You have never rode anything like it. Don't tell me you can handle it because you rode your friends bike around a parking lot. Riding in a parking lot or down a back rode is not riding. Riding is when your out on busy roads and you have to make quick decesions. When the going gets tuff if you hit the wrong brake to hard your done. If you twist the throttle 2 hard your done too. You can die in a instant.

A 600 sport bike is not a begineer bike. It is like learning to drive in a formula 1 car. Or learning how to target shoot with a 44 magnum. A good first bike is a suzuki sv650. They got for 6k and are loads of fun. Starting on a smaller bike will give you an enmormous advantage over someone who started on a 600.

You don't have to listen to me. Its your life on the line, not mine. All i know is i know what i am talking about. I sell bikes. I talk to loads of riders and racers every day. If you just want the bike to look cool and to drive down to the 711 on friday nights to look cool you may live. But if you acctually want to learn how to ride a bike you could be seriously injuryed, and will get smoked by guys on ninja 500s in the twisties.

matt

Derno24
09-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by mrusk
MotoRacer- Your going to be pretty pissed off when you drop your brand new 8k sportbike on the secound day and have to buy 1000 in fairings. 18 year olds and sportbikes dont mix. Dont try to tell us you are any different then the rest of the kids out their. I work at a dealership. Almost every sport bike we sell to someone under 20 comes back after it been dropped by 1000 miles.
Do you have any idea what insurance will run you on the bike? 1500 a year. Oh i forgot, daddy is paying that. Then you got another 1500 bucks you got to spend on safety gear. The street is a dangerous place. Asfalt does not give a damn about you. The other cars don't see you. A modern day 600cc sportbike is a rocketship. You have never rode anything like it. Don't tell me you can handle it because you rode your friends bike around a parking lot. Riding in a parking lot or down a back rode is not riding. Riding is when your out on busy roads and you have to make quick decesions. When the going gets tuff if you hit the wrong brake to hard your done. If you twist the throttle 2 hard your done too. You can die in a instant.

A 600 sport bike is not a begineer bike. It is like learning to drive in a formula 1 car. Or learning how to target shoot with a 44 magnum. A good first bike is a suzuki sv650. They got for 6k and are loads of fun. Starting on a smaller bike will give you an enmormous advantage over someone who started on a 600.

You don't have to listen to me. Its your life on the line, not mine. All i know is i know what i am talking about. I sell bikes. I talk to loads of riders and racers every day. If you just want the bike to look cool and to drive down to the 711 on friday nights to look cool you may live. But if you acctually want to learn how to ride a bike you could be seriously injuryed, and will get smoked by guys on ninja 500s in the twisties.

matt

I agree with some of this I do believe that you have to go into this type of purchase with your eyes open. Fairings are alot more than $1,000. I had a cracked nose fairing on my gsxr750 1 year ago and they wanted $600 just for that. I think the biggest thing is if you are serious take a riding class. In PA you need your license to ride without getting hassled. I have had bikes since I was 17. I took the motorcycle safety course and have never been involved in a crash. That is not saying you won't get in a crash. It just means they might prepare you for something that you don't know how to handle. If you want a sport bike take a class and have your license in advance. Classes usually get you at least a 10% discount on insurance so they help. Just remeber to take it easy and work your way to getting faster. I know I sound like an old fart, but I don't ride that way. I just try to be as prepared as I can.

kwatts400
09-12-2003, 12:54 AM
I'm getting ready to trade my f4 in. I love riding it, don't get me wrong, its probably one of the best rides out there, but I don't have anyone to ride with anymore. Not to mention that my insurance just went up quite a bit for absolutely no reason. I only got to ride it 3 times this summer, so the added cost just isn't worth it to me.

I've seen some pretty scary sh*t while out for a ride or going to work, and I have to say if you aren't paying attention, you are done. So I'm just going to get the new 450r to go along with my 250r and have alot of fun in the dirt until the day comes when I have a house in the middle of nowhere, and I can rip around on the backroads without fear of the dreaded "soccer mom."

MotoRacer
09-12-2003, 09:13 AM
good points everyone..i haven't riden a 600 much..i rode a gixxer600 a little bit when my cousins boyfriend bought his..it was pretty nice...I had an old ninja 250 that my friend was throwing out, so i fixed it up, and rode just around my street for a while. I got used to that, but that is no 600. I never punched the gixxer whenever I hopped on it for a ride...granted, when i did ride it, it was only around the block and what not, cuz i didn't have my lisence yet.

Whatever bike I decide to get, it will not be an everyday form of transpertation. I didn't even think about riding it on the highway till I was driving next to a guy on the a bike on the highway the other day. I was just planning on getting one to just cruize around town and stuff.

mrusk--you make some good points about the bike, but you have a crappy way of saying them. I payed back my parents for my quads, and i will be buying my own sportbike. I would tell you about my job, but don't have time now...i have to shoot down the shore to play the piano at some weddings for the rest of this weekend for 300$ an hour...im not bragging, just want you to know im not a punk kid that is lazy and doesn't pull his own weight around here...i buy my own stuff...but thanks for the good advice..ill keep it all in mind.

Kyle

JLanphear
09-12-2003, 09:16 AM
mrusk--you make some good points about the bike, but you have a crappy way of saying them. I payed back my parents for my quads, and i will be buying my own sportbike. I would tell you about my job, but don't have time now...i have to shoot down the shore to play the piano at some weddings for the rest of this weekend for 300$ an hour...im not bragging, just want you to know im not a punk kid that is lazy and doesn't pull his own weight around here...i buy my own stuff...but thanks for the good advice..ill keep it all in mind.

Gotta say "Well Said" to that.

-Josh

Ben
09-12-2003, 09:29 AM
I am with Derno on this, I have had several streetbikes (got my first at 18 - a late model GSXR600) and I have not crashed yet. I am not saying that I won't crash, but I do wear my safety gear and ride with my eyes wide open at all times. What I am saying is that simply because a younger person buys a streetbike does not mean they will wreck in within the first 6 months. I certainly don't ride like a grandma on my bike but I don't ride stupid either. Take the MSF class, practice alot, and take your time while you are learning to ride. You'll have a great time :)

MotoRacer
09-12-2003, 12:57 PM
yeah, im looking into the MSF course...as far as riding gear is concerned..what is better..1 piece or 2?..what brand is the best? Im trying to find the safeest gear, but not look like an idiot at the same time. what about neck protection if you go into an accident? do they have anything like that? Thanks for all the great help.

Kyle

JLanphear
09-12-2003, 01:32 PM
yeah, im looking into the MSF course...as far as riding gear is concerned..what is better..1 piece or 2?..what brand is the best? Im trying to find the safeest gear, but not look like an idiot at the same time. what about neck protection if you go into an accident? do they have anything like that? Thanks for all the great help.

Kyle

I think www.speedrag.com makes some pretty good stuff

mrusk
09-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Ben you may of not of crashed, but your going to school to become a lawyer. I am sure you had you act togethet when you were 18.

Moto- There is alot of nice gear out their. I personally like feildsheer or alpinestar. Go with a 2 peice leather suit. Then go with a light weight jacket for whens its warm out. Feildsheer has some nice titnium mesh jackets. Joe Rocket makes a nice lite jacked called the phenoix jacket. Get some alpinestar boots. Some kevlar jeans. Icon ti max gloves for serious riding, and another pair of icon light weight gloves for short trips. And get a shoei for your head.

matt

MotoRacer
09-12-2003, 07:04 PM
cool..thanks for the info..ill look into them...any protection for the neck area?

I'm starting westminster/princeton in january...that count?..haha.

:D

Kyle

Derno24
09-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by mrusk
Ben you may of not of crashed, but your going to school to become a lawyer. I am sure you had you act togethet when you were 18.

Moto- There is alot of nice gear out their. I personally like feildsheer or alpinestar. Go with a 2 peice leather suit. Then go with a light weight jacket for whens its warm out. Feildsheer has some nice titnium mesh jackets. Joe Rocket makes a nice lite jacked called the phenoix jacket. Get some alpinestar boots. Some kevlar jeans. Icon ti max gloves for serious riding, and another pair of icon light weight gloves for short trips. And get a shoei for your head.

matt

I am hurt I don't even rate and I am older than Ben...

I agree with you on the gear. Maybe not getting so much of it. Some of that gear gets way expensive. I don't know of any neck protection, but it wouldn't help you that much anyway. I like the ARIA as far as helmets go though. Lighter, better airflow, and they look pretty damn cool if you ask me. :D :D

James70214
09-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Don't be a pus#y. Just get the 04 R1. You will grow into it! J/K

I think in your case you should look at the Ducatis 749 or 748. You are saying you want a bike to cruise around on and that will be bad ***. The ducatis have a style all of their own.

I have the CBR 600 RR and it is a pretty cool bike. If I had to do it again I would get the ducati.

As far as riding gear look into Dainese if you want some of the best stuff. It will cost a good buck but is worth it.

Are you going to go to the track with it at all? If so look into a set of shark skinz so you don't trash your new fairings.

Most importantly get yourself a set of frame sliders and swingarm sliders.

09-13-2003, 04:22 PM
my takes on this are, if you ride WITH YOUR HEAD and not OVER IT you will be fine. Dont abuse the bike, because YOU WONT WIN, the BIKE WILL WIN!

thats for the riding part

As for which bike..

The honda rr is a nice bike, BUT the center exhaust raises my brows, WHY? because a after market exhaust is gonna cost BIG BUX!! other then that its a nice bike.

THE yamaha is a nice bike(looks wise), BUT structurally they are the crappiest (japanese)made bike out there. WHY do i say this? well, I wont say how many totaled r6's ive seen, but one particular r6 I had in the shop, I ripped the subframe off the bike with my BARE hands. I aint jokin either. the aluminum ripped like paper.

NOW that i said that part, if you want a nice bike in the 600cc insurance bracket the kawasaki 636 is the hot ticket. If your not gonna race in ama classes GO for it!!

put it this way, the 636 will beat a 750 gxsr!!!(in turns ) and maybe even on the straights...

U have ridden so many 636's and r6's I cant count. the kawie is way more solid.

Oh and all you yamaha riders out there I bet you know what TANK SLAPPER MEANS AY??? I think yamaha went a bit to far with engineering since the r6 and r1 are both tank slap happy. NOT a good thing, especially for a beginner.

But hell if you want the honda go for it.;)

I for one wouldnt touch a r6 or r1 because of there uncanny ability to tank slap...

if you dont know what a tank slapper is, you DONT want to find out... :scary:

Im not sayin the yamie isnt a good bike, just dont drop it..:huh

JLanphear
09-13-2003, 04:32 PM
LOL...speaking of abused Yamaha's....

http://users.adelphia.net/%7eredrizza/2003/Stunting/bigimages/PANA0248.JPG

veddersbetter
09-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Well...first of all I have to defend the R6. If u want the R6 get it...dont worry about tank slap. A newer 600 sportbike is plenty of bike for a beginner....and it IS too much if you ride like an idiot. 600 inlines have virtually no power under 7000 RPM....once your beyond that theres more than enough. Its alot like a 2 stroke. Vtwin bikes (including Suzuki SV650) make power from idle. Id say buy a used newer 600 inline or Suzukis SV650(awesome bike!) and get used to it before committing to something that you'll cry if you drop. If your worried too much about saving your bike instead of saving yourself your liable to get killed.
Just be very careful and wear a helmet whatever you decide to do...Ive been riding street bikes for 10 years and Ive had alot of good friends get hurt and killed. Check out my Yahoo clubs message board and you'll see it happens more often than youd think.

MotoRacer
09-13-2003, 06:14 PM
ok..all this info on gear and everything is great..im going to start looking into it. I probably won't pick up the bike until like november. When i get the bike, I plan on just riding it around town and what not. If I really get into it, I might look into doing some trackdays..who knows..might be fun.

09-13-2003, 09:38 PM
what a tank slapper...im 16 & im looking into selling my 400ex for that new cbr1000...will it be fast? my dad says i should be careful:rolleyes: hes an idiot

JLanphear
09-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
what a tank slapper...im 16 & im looking into selling my 400ex for that new cbr1000...will it be fast? my dad says i should be careful:rolleyes: hes an idiot

Please tell me you are kidding...LOL

The new CBR will be so fast that if you hit anything at even 1/4 throttle you'd look like this...

http://www.maine.com/eric/ime/images/splat.gif

Something tells me you probably don't need one ;)

R-Crazy
09-14-2003, 07:09 AM
if i were u, i would first take a motorcycle training course. then i would get a nice USED bike and learn on that for about a year, and if you drop it or whatnot, it wont be the worst thing that has ever happened.

dave

MotoRacer
09-14-2003, 09:54 AM
i was talkin to my parents about it last night, and they even gave me one more option...i would have to sell my cannnondale moto440, and 265R, and give them the money from that..then i can trade in my G35 coupe for a 2004 vette zo6...i've been in z06's and they haulll...0-60 in 3.8...but do i want that or the sportbike? I NEED SOME THINKING TIME!

btw, i will be paying for the bike or the car.

K2Snow
09-14-2003, 11:33 PM
biiiiiike

MotoRacer
09-15-2003, 12:51 PM
anyone know what a better bike is..honda 600rr or the r6? both 2004's..thanks.

KYle

Derno24
09-15-2003, 01:00 PM
isn't this where we started. Make up your own mind. Either would be nice.

09-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Hey moto, it sounds like your parents are pretty much in the dark, and dont understand that getting you a cbr 1000 is pretty much like smashing your head with a sledge hammer......

Only they dont know they have the hammer in there hand swinging at you...:confused2

mrusk
09-15-2003, 02:04 PM
MotoRacer- Why would you have to sell the Moto and the 265r and give your parents all that money to get a zo6. If you paid for all that stuff yourself like you previously posted, why don't you sell the 2 quads and your car and buy your Z06 yourself???

Heck if you sell the moto, your'll have enought insurance money for a year!! WHOOOO

matt

K2Snow
09-15-2003, 03:25 PM
anyone know what a better bike is..honda 600rr or the r6? both 2004's..thanks.

KYle

600rr

MotoRacer
09-15-2003, 04:06 PM
they put a down payment as a present on my G for me.

mrusk
09-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Honestly their is no difference that you will notice between the r6 and the rr. They are so close its not even funny. Buy whatever one looks cooler too you.

matt