PDA

View Full Version : Ride Red...?...?...?

freakystone
09-11-2003, 06:47 AM
I guess the jury is still out on the new TRX450R but it sure looks to me like the aimed for the YFZ and friggin missed. As far as the looks of it... I guess I am not really that vain when it comes to looks. I am going to get it dirty and break something on it anyways.

Are those Raptor/Z400 rear tires I see? No aluminum frame.:confused: No steel braided break lines? No electric start? Are we going backwards here? 350 lbs. and it does even have a battery and electric start?

It does look like it has front rezzies. What is a unicam?

What is the percentage of people that will buy this thing for racing verses the people who buy it for putzing?

But I think this sums it all up. This is also a new model release from Honda. http://powersports.honda.com/preview/prevDream.html

sickmojave
09-11-2003, 07:20 AM
or this one

http://powersports.honda.com/preview/prevNSR.html

two new 50's that's what I've been waiting for.:rolleyes:

spincr4hire
09-11-2003, 10:18 AM
no electric start does suk...

coryatver
09-11-2003, 10:42 AM
It should kick easy. It has the hot start and automatic decompression.

spincr4hire
09-11-2003, 10:47 AM
I'm too old to be kickin':tired:

H0nDo
09-11-2003, 03:18 PM
i dont see why everyone makes such a big deal about it being a kick start.....it will still desimate all wont it...

Guy400
09-11-2003, 04:10 PM
It's obvious that Honda aimed at a broader market. Leave it stock and have a good woods machine or mod it and have a racer. We'll see in 2 years who has more quads sold. Chef has already verified the 350lb. claim by Yamaha to be false. Maybe that's with the kicker option, battery removed and lightweight GYT-R silencer because the YFZ with the button weighed in at 385lbs. and that's with aluminum upper a-arms. How close is the Honda to 350lbs.? I guess we'll see in a couple months after some real world tests because the mags just spew out whatever specs the factories give them. Here's the real deal: any serious racer will replace the a-arms, swingarm, shocks, axle and handlebars on whichever quad they choose to buy. It's going to boil down to rider skill and the quads reliability.

But, I must be honest. I do think Honda let us down in 3 categories. They did not go with an FCR carb like I was hoping for, the suspension travel seems to be rather short on the stock shocks and the lack of an external oil tank. I am happy with keeping a 400EX frame that's been slightly updated, all 400EX front end parts will swap over and I'm happy with the beefing up of the powerplant.

Steve-O
09-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Guy400

But, I must be honest. I do think Honda let us down in 3 categories. They did not go with an FCR carb like I was hoping for, the suspension travel seems to be rather short on the stock shocks and the lack of an external oil tank. I am happy with keeping a 400EX frame that's been slightly updated, all 400EX front end parts will swap over and I'm happy with the beefing up of the powerplant.

I was wondering the same thing about an external oil tankand found this

"Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination to the engine oil, and reduces the amount of circulating oil and the required size of the oil pump. This design allows for an oil cooler and no external oil tank is needed."

not sure about the Keihin 42.0mm carb is that better than a FCR?

2001 trx400ex
09-11-2003, 04:58 PM
it has an aluminum subframe

310Rduner
09-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Those are all Dry weight claims as well, so who is to know how much they will weigh side by side. But at least with the option of being able to remove the battery and starter on the Yfz you can make it less tubby. If the hondas weight is grossly under-rated also, there is no option to remove the battery and starter, its already been done.

People in this post weren't complaining about it being kicker, i think they were saying thats what they want, but for it to weigh as much as the yammi with it already GONE, is what's sad.

And on the weight issue, Yammi has gone to greater lengths to keep it down. They have the option to remove battery/ starter, magnesium cases, swinger, subframe ( i believe?.. or aluminum) and the magnesium rezzy's for the brake fluid. They may have the slightly heavier DOHC design, but they more than made up for it with the innovation they put into weight savings. Basically, Yammi packed more items into the bike, without it being heavier than the Honda. ( As stated by spec weights )