PDA

View Full Version : 2004 HOnda TRX450! Here it is!

sprtrx300ex
09-11-2003, 03:40 AM
http://powersports.honda.com/preview/prevTRX450R.html

THATS THE REAL DEAL.

New-400ex_guy
09-11-2003, 03:46 AM
well i see they kept the price competative. but there should be at least electric start with optional kick like the yfz..also

Carburetion Keihin 42.0mm with throttle position sensor (TPS) :rolleyes: and 10.5 to 1 compression...:rolleyes:

no 40fcr ....:confused:

i dont think it will be as fast as teh yfz but it will probly be reliable....hope the 299 upgrade thre were talkin about is for 12:1 piston and fcr40mm upgrade.

twisted threads
09-11-2003, 03:46 AM
I THINK ITS COOL!!:macho :macho :D

skidplate
09-11-2003, 04:19 AM
I like it, some cry about it's a 400ex with 450 motor. Good, I love the way my 400 handles on the track and in the woods. I thinks with a couple mods it will rock !
JB

blondie69
09-11-2003, 04:29 AM
I like it....I don't think its ugly at all:huh If I had the money...I would probably buy it

Woody_YFZ
09-11-2003, 04:30 AM
Right on, can't wait to see how she performs in January when they are released. I think Honda did a nice job. It's not quite what I expected, but I think for the money it's a nice quad.

Bubba
09-11-2003, 04:48 AM
I LOVE IT...if i had the money i would get it..but i only have 2 dollars:(

jfboy
09-11-2003, 05:02 AM
l;ooks good I cant wait for some reviews..

jfboy
09-11-2003, 05:05 AM
HEy do you guys think we will be able to put the DOHC head on it from the crf ????

YZROOSTINYA
09-11-2003, 05:13 AM
350 lbs WITH a kickstart, no electric

thats pretty sad.

the CBR 1000 RR is gonna get spoked by the new R1 also

It looks nice but we shall see.

Glad they came out with the NSR again

raptor_02
09-11-2003, 05:30 AM
i was hoping for an aluminum framed CRF between 48-50 inches wide at 330lbs dry weight. But I'm still glad to see Honda get in the mix. But after seeing the picture I am going with the YFZ. The YFZ sits lower, weighs less ( if u put on a kick starter ), better suspension, better carb. and looks better. The only way I will get the Honda is if I don't have money saved up in time and I later on find out that the Honda is a better machine but I should have money saved up for the YFZ before January so I'll more than likely be going with the Yamaha.

raptor_02
09-11-2003, 05:38 AM
i just spotted rezzies on the front shocks so that may play a difference in my decision. Damn this is awesome but I have no idea which quad I am going to go with.

RIDER11X
09-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by jfboy
HEy do you guys think we will be able to put the DOHC head on it from the crf ????

The CRF is not DOHC. It uses a Unicam that saves weight in the valvetrain.;)

trueblue450
09-11-2003, 07:28 AM
actually the honda has a 42 mm carb and yami has 39 both with tps..

RIDER11X
09-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Nice quad! Honda did the right thing by keeping the 400ex frame that works so well and adding more power. Twin piston calipers were a nice touch also. Will it be wet sump or dry sump? Can't see a tank anywhere.
I'll keep my 400ex though, as I love having the button!:D My 250x was the last kicker that I will own! I still got busted up shins.:p

dhines
09-11-2003, 07:45 AM
Sorry to cross-post, but the other thread is just too big now...

Here are some FACTS - finally. Much as it pains me, I think itis obvious that the Yamaha is superior in nearly every category...

Bore and Stroke:
450R - 94.0mm x 64.8mm
YFZ450 - 95mm x 62mm

Compression Ratio:
450R - 10.5:1
YFZ450 - 11.9:1

Valve Train:
450R - Unicam; four-valve
YFZ450 - Titanium 5-Valve DOHC

Carburetion:
450R - Keihin 42.0mm with throttle position sensor (TPS)
YFZ450 - Keihin 39mm FCR w/ Throttle Position Sensor

Ignition:
450R - CD with electronic advance
YFZ450 - DC - CDI

Starter:
450R - Forward kick
YFZ450 - Electric (rear kicker kit optional)

Transmision:
450R - 5-speed Manual Clutch
YFZ450 - 5-Speed Manual Clutch

Front Suspension:
450R - 8.4"
YFZ450 - 9.1”

Rear Suspension:
450R - 9" (Pro-Link)
YFZ450 - 10.1”

Front Brakes:
450R - Dual hydraulic 174.0mm discs with twin-piston calipers
YFZ450 - Dual Hydraulic Disc, Twin Piston

Rear Brakes:
450R - Single hydraulic 190.0mm disc with single-piston caliper
YFZ450 - Hydraulic Disc

Length:
450R - 72.6 inches
YFZ450 - 72.4”

Width:
450R - 46.3 inches
YFZ450 - 46.1"

Height:
450R - 43.6 inches
YFZ450 - 42.9"

Wheelbase:
450R - 49.2 inches
YFZ450 - 50.4"

Seat Height: 32.6 inches
450R - 32.6 inches
YFZ450 - 31.5"

Ground Clearance: 4.2 inches
450R - 4.2 inches
YFZ450 - 4.4"

Dry Weight:
450R - 350.0 pounds
YFZ450 - 350 Lbs.

Fuel Capacity:
450R - 3.2 gallons
YFZ450 - 2.6 gallons

k2-dawg
09-11-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
350 lbs WITH a kickstart, no electric

thats pretty sad.

Why is that so sad???

YZROOSTINYA
09-11-2003, 08:11 AM
because the yfz is electric at 350 dry, can be coverted to kick which saves like 10-20 lbs and it has alot more power stock

so ,,,, thats sad

Chris400extreme
09-11-2003, 08:34 AM
THE STARTER ON A DODGE DEISEL MIGHT WEIGH 20 POUNDS. IT SAVES LIKE 8 POUNDS. HONDA WILL OUTLAST THE YAMAHA. LIGHTER WEIGHT MEANS LESS OF THINGS THAT MIGHT REALLY MATTER.

Max400
09-11-2003, 08:44 AM
everybody cry'n about the 450r not having reverse or electric start:confused: : :confused: my god what do you want next? cruise control.....................Damn lazy people, lets wait and see actual ride reviews. Honda has always put out quality quads! have you seen any other companies put out a new quad with a yamaha look alike frame or swing arm? or worse yet yamaha chain adjustment like on warriors or banshees....................suzuki and kawasaki put out their "all new 400" and they 400ex style frame with raptor plastic....................
Hoda sets the standard and everryone else follows.

I think the new 450 looks sweet, it looks alot like the 400ex and I still love my 400ex......................

jesshamner
09-11-2003, 09:19 AM
I think it looks like a cbr with fenders.

Rocketman250r
09-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Looks like the front fenders have extensions that can come off. No more "race cut" fenders

RIDER11X
09-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X

I'll keep my 400ex though, as I love having the button!:D My 250x was the last kicker that I will own! I still got busted up shins.:p
I wasn't complaining about the lack of the button, This new Honda vs. the 400ex is comparitive to the CRF bike vs. the XR400. This new machine is aimed at the hardcore racer, and kickstart is great for that. But, I am the hardcore trailrider that loves to playrace in the woods, so my 400ex suits me well. If I were younger and still racing, I'd be looking to trade up to the CRF450R for sure, but XR style is all me right now.:p

YZROOSTINYA
09-11-2003, 11:29 AM
I am talking about
starter
battery
wiring......

No electric is fine with me

I have had 14 bikes in my years and my 416 is the first with electric(minus that shizzy warrior)

BUT i was hoping for a lighter weight with the STOCK kicker set up.

I am just not impressed with what I see.

Smoker
09-11-2003, 01:17 PM
I think the YFZ has some advantages but a big selling point for me will be wether or not I can bolt my aftermarket parts right onto the 450r, otherwise I will probably keep riding my 400ex. I just have too much money into it to start over, although it would be nice to have one. If Honda was smart, they made it this way since so many people already own built Honda's, IMO. :p

quadman21
09-11-2003, 01:42 PM
I would say that most of the genaric parts will be interchangable like the rims and bumpers and the front shocks. Just think practical. Although Honda stays quiet, they know what's going on. So it makes sense that they would keep it simple. The EX chasis works great but the engine lacked power. So it would just seem easy for honda to keep the EX frame even for tooling purposes in their plants. It costs a lot of money to re-tool an entire plant. I think Honda also thought ahead of time and realized how much money we have poured into our EXs in aftermarket parts. So again I think it just makes sense that they would keep it so we could swap componets.

seatec
09-11-2003, 02:03 PM
SO what your saying is that Honda had only the end user in mind? tsk tsk. Honda is boudn to make a bundle of this NEW quad. almost no re-tooling and a 6500 sticker. ouch. i think your being had.

The aftermarket people are not going to be happy that people dont have to re-buy new part for their new quad.:grr:

Pro400EXC
09-11-2003, 02:56 PM
I belive the reason the new TRX-R is kick start,is because Honda used the CRF (duh) well can you buy a CRF w/ a elec. starter?NO!!

Anyways,you can buy a YFZ w/ a elec start because you can get the MX bike w/ elec start,in the form of a WR-F...

I don't think honda wanted to re-make a bunch of new CRF case's and so on,and spend a ton of money,to add a elec starter....

Also,people talk about the Yammy having 5valves,and DOHC,and blah blah blah,well in the dirtbike world,it seems to me the CRF and YZF are pretty equal mtoor wise,so why sit there and cry cause engine NUMBERS are diffrent,i mean c'mon....

Just cause lets say a YFZ makes 44hp,and a CRF makes 42hp, HP numbers mean chit,nothing to do w/ the way it perfomrs on the ground,and on the track...

dhines
09-11-2003, 03:03 PM
There is more to an engine than peak HP numbers. Plus, the 450r's vesion of the CRF engine is detuned quite a bit - 10.5:1 compression as compared to 12.0:1 on the bike. The YFZ maintains an 11.9:1 compression ratio.

I've said it before, the Yamaha simply stomps all over the Honda in this case.

Tommy 17
09-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC

Also,people talk about the Yammy having 5valves,and DOHC,and blah blah blah,well in the dirtbike world,it seems to me the CRF and YZF are pretty equal mtoor wise,so why sit there and cry cause engine NUMBERS are diffrent,i mean c'mon....

Just cause lets say a YFZ makes 44hp,and a CRF makes 42hp, HP numbers mean chit,nothing to do w/ the way it perfomrs on the ground,and on the track...

AMEN....

5 valves and doh cams mean jack to me over a uni cam and 4 valves... i've rode both in the bikes and the crf was def a more quad friendly smoother better powered bike to ME

09-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Being a honda loyalist, and someone who has more than a passing affinity for mechanical design, I asolutely dig the new 450. I like the YZF and DVX as well, personal taste. I wanted Honda to put the 450 in a quad and that's what I got, no elec no problem, no reverse, never needed it. Befor this thing came out many screamed they wanted a 450 version of the 250 r. That's what they got! But now it's more refined and modern. If they had made something with old style plastics and tech, the others would scream there wasn't anything "new". Honda has innovated it's ears off, but it's because of it's refinement that they make great products and that's what no one has caught up to.

I'm gettin a TRX 450r, and keepin the 4hundy! I am a happy man!:D

jfboy
09-11-2003, 03:50 PM
I will probably buy one too. I'm kinda disapointed too that it doesnt ouperform the yz450 but yammmis are really expensive to maintaing that parts just cost too dam much.

310Rduner
09-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by mrbluehair
Honda has innovated it's ears off
:D

Out the door, a Yammaha blows the trx450R away. I think that when you make them both fully modified, with everything there is to be done with them, they will both be VERY close, but anyone who loves 2 strokes will prefer the 2 stroke feel of the Yammi, people that like the more grunt type 4-stroke will favor the honda powerband.

But, honda has not really "Innovated" anything. They have borrowed and used everything new found on the bike as compared to a 400ex. Isnt the list of "Innovation" all things you can trace back and find from other bikes?? Only thing new for honda is front fully adjustable shocks, and resirvoirs. And i dont consider a 3rd piston ring very thrilling... I will agree there may be a thing or two in the engine that they changed for the atv such as detuning the compression and changing the gears, but chassis wise that is not where the innovation is ( im not saying its bad, i think they were smart to keep the best chassis geometry they ever made in the 250R). If the innovation isnt in the chassis, and it isnt really there in the engine, where is it then?? I also dont consider honda putting something on their bike, which can be found on another bike that made it first to be innovating.

I think they are great both bikes, but stock-for stock when it hits the tests, i think we're going to see the Yammi stomping the honda for travel, and how the bike actually rides ( Not engine, too early to tell). I Prefer two-strokes, so i probably would take the Yammi. Personally, just in the stance and how they designed it the yammi is more "R Like" than the honda. I look at hondas bike and see a trail machine.

:confused2 :scary:

KASCHAK
09-11-2003, 06:51 PM
woopdy do. it has only 4 valves and its single cam compared to a 5 with dohc. the yami has more compression but the honda has more displacement. its not like its going to get worked anyway. its already stroked bigger with a bigger bore. with a bigger carb.

hopefully you could just slap on a crf head gasekt and bump up the compression a lil. then it will have more power. deffenitly

quadman21
09-12-2003, 05:13 AM
The only reason the frame looks a little different in the back is because of the motor mounts for the new engine. Otherwise untill I see one in person, I'm fairly sure it's the same as the EX. As far as Yamaha "smoking" the 450R out the door...how do you know? There hasn't been any tests yet! That may be true but wait and see how they perform against eachother. I think we'll find that although the yamaha may have more power, the Honda has good liquid cooled power in an easy to ride chassis which will put Honda on top again. But we'll see. Ya know, I was taking a good look at all the shots of this new quad and I'm impressed and dissappointed at the same time. I really love the fact that Honda is getting back into racing. It's about time. Also, we wanted that brand new 450 egine in our EXs. We got it. So I'm happy that we got what we wanted but it's nothing earth shattering. If your really look at it, it's an EX with better shocks, new look, and new engine. Heck, less the new engine, the Pro Productiuon guys have just as good or better quad. At the same time, with all the chassis mods (ie. suspension, arm, and swingarms) that most of us have made, we already have a new 450R without the engine. That's my opinion BUT I'm still happy with what Honda has giving us!

Pro400EXC
09-12-2003, 06:07 AM
Well...

I agree w/ Quadman...you crybabies are sitting there waaa waaa waaa the Yamaha is better,waaa,where's mammy...

Well,you guys musta seen some test's on these things that I ain't seen,cause i surley ain't seen any head to head tests between the two...

Also,you can't belive the magazine test's,cause i don't think Honda ever pays the magazines to say anything good about them.......Just like most of the Dirt Wheels publications (ie. Motocross Action, DirtBike Magazine,and etc)

If you look in any tests in those mags,it seems to me Honda always gets bashed,must be that heft check that everyone else sends them,and Honda don't...

I remember picking up a DSirtRider Mag and Transworld MX,well they seem to like the Honda a lil more,must be they don't get a check from anyone to say there stuff is better.....

So Shut the He!! Up you cry baby @$$ hoes...

YLW400
09-12-2003, 06:29 AM
The only thing I am going to say is...the Raptor is faster then a 400EX , isn't it? They still suck.....lmao No offense to Raptor owners out there...:o Who cares if the Yammi does 75 and the Honda does 73? Lookd like Honda got thier head out of their arse this time...

seatec
09-12-2003, 07:05 AM
Well...

...you crybabies are sitting there waaa waaa waaa the Yamaha is better,waaa,where's mammy...

So Shut the He!! Up you cry baby @$$ hoes...

Yup, very mature answer. Definately puts you atop of the so called cry babies. what are you 12 or something?

PHIL_B54
09-12-2003, 09:30 AM

Also,you can't belive the magazine test's,cause i don't think Honda ever pays the magazines to say anything good about them.......Just like most of the Dirt Wheels publications (ie. Motocross Action, DirtBike Magazine,and etc)

exactly, the the z400 was on every cover for 3 monthes. dirt wheels takes a tour thru a suzuki plant at the same time. does a story on the tv comercial for the z400. every 3-4 pages there was something premoting the z400. the yami is now doing the same thing, i bet it will continue to do so along the same lines as the z. the 450r will have spots, but without the $$$ we will be strunned on how little it is shown.

YZROOSTINYA
09-15-2003, 05:11 AM
dropping the starter on the yammi drops nine pounds(all the wiring,starter,battery...)

I think the reviews will be a interesting read.

Curious to ride both.

Punk'd
09-15-2003, 06:04 AM
i think honda might be releaseing another sport quad but more race ready