PDA

View Full Version : 400ex seat mildew HELP

ewalker302
09-11-2003, 02:48 AM
OK
On my 99 EX the red seat has dark mildew stains on the seat.

Other than that, my seat is is fine shape.
Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a product that will remoxe it.

I've tried x14, a diluted bleach mixture, and comet cleaner.

I don't want to wear a hole in my seat, I would just like to get the black splotches off of it.

A buddy of mine also has a 99 & he bought a new stock cover B/C of the same thing, & his had the same stains within a few months.

I cant speak for the previous owner of my bike, but both my friend & I keep our quads garaged, so leaving it out in the weather cant be the prob.
And I wash my bike after every ride so it cant be dirt & junk sitting there.

The only place there isn't mildew is right where my butt meets the seat.

Maybe a mfg defect?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions.

Im not buying a new seat cover cause it still works fine, just ugly.

Thanks,
:bandit:

T.Hopp
09-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Well I have the same issue on my 2000. I have been trying to clean it by taking corners harder. If my *** dosn't take it off, It's not comming off! Seriously I never tried to clean it. I have a bunch of new stuff comming from UPS which includes a new seat cover.

Sportrax10
09-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Maybe its coming from the inside of the seat cover and the only way to clean it is to wash the inside?

luvmyex
09-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Hey i have a stock cover that has the back 4" or so black.I havent seen other like it most are one color.The cover is in good shape with the exception of a pencil size hole in the "R" of where it says fourtrax on it.$20 shipped PM me if ya want it

Greg Z
09-14-2003, 08:14 AM
clean ur dirty asses and you wont get it on ur seat:cool:

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 03:45 AM
Well no help yet,

It's def not coming from inside the seat cover.

& Im pretty sure my *** isnt' staining it.

I've tried & tried but the white sportrax lettering on the side of the cover has started to clean off but not the mildew.

& I'm sure not buying a new cover till this one rips or tears, I'd rather spend that dough on go not show.

I just know that these exact same covers came on 400's for a couple years & wondered if anybody knew how 2 get the damn stains off.

3x440ex
09-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Maybe I can help you since cleaning mildew is what i do for a living......moisture is getting behind the seat cover when you wash it and it take a long time for it to dry compleatly...mildew attaches it self to any place where there is moisture ( look on one side of you house where the sun shines the less it will always have more mildew) the only thing that will kill it is sodium hyperchloite (chlorine/ bleach)....Here's the secret.....go buy you some liquid chlorine from a swimming pool supply comp. and add a little soap to it (Dawn dish deturgent) cut in half, dont get any on you, apply it to the seat, wait a few minutes and rinse but only when the spots are all gone, no scrubbing nessesary, the spots will just go away...you have to kill mildew forget srubbing it off it don't work.

3x440ex
09-15-2003, 12:06 PM
sorry i was in hurry....i forgot to mention a few things. the soap is only there to make the chlorine stick long enough to work, it take chlorine a few minutes to work. also it attacks cotton so if you're wearing cotton you might want to put somthing else on or just be carefull not get it on your clothes.....next thing, if you get it on your hands RINSE IMEDIATLY!!....you won't feel it until it starts to burn threw you skin, but as long as you rinse withen a minute or two you'll be fine......one more thing, rinse you quad real good especially around the metal areas because chlorine is very corosive and will rust you metal areas if you don't rinse it real good...Take what's left and mix it with 5 gallons of water and some more soap and you have yourself a good house wash/ deck cleaner........Good luck.:)

ewalker302
09-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info I will definitly try that.

Two questions though:

First, is the liquid chlorine at a pool place a lot stonger than clorox?? I had a pool but we always used granular chlorine.

Second, when you say cut it do you mean I need to cut the chlorine with water then put in some soap, Or cut the chlorine half & half with the soap??

Third, if It takes say 5 minutes will this make my cover dry rot or corrode. maybe put on armour all or something on it as soon as it dry's back??

Last, I guess I would need to spread the mixture over the entire seat huh, so I won't just have a few real clean spots.

Thanks 4 all the info.

mainly I was jusr wondreing about the mix.

3x440ex
09-15-2003, 09:42 PM
First, is the liquid chlorine at a pool place a lot stonger than clorox?? I had a pool but we always used granular chlorine.

Chlorox is about 5.5% sodium hyperchlorite while chlorine bleach is 13% sodium hyperchlorite......make sure you use liquid not granular.

Second, when you say cut it do you mean I need to cut the chlorine with water then put in some soap, Or cut the chlorine half & half with the soap??

Cut the chlorine in half with water in other words take 1 gallon of chlorine and add 1 gallon of water then add a little soap.

Third, if It takes say 5 minutes will this make my cover dry rot or corrode. maybe put on armour all or something on it as soon as it dry's back??

your cover will be fine just don't let it dry on you seat....when it dries it turns to salt.

Last, I guess I would need to spread the mixture over the entire seat huh, so I won't just have a few real clean spots.
that might be a good idea, just dont try to clean the rest of you quad with this stuff because it only works on mildew it doesn't do anything for dirt and grease.........just remember RINSE as soon as the black spots are gone......Good luck.

09-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by 3x440ex
sorry i was in hurry....i forgot to mention a few things. the soap is only there to make the chlorine stick long enough to work, it take chlorine a few minutes to work. also it attacks cotton so if you're wearing cotton you might want to put somthing else on or just be carefull not get it on your clothes.....next thing, if you get it on your hands RINSE IMEDIATLY!!....you won't feel it until it starts to burn threw you skin, but as long as you rinse withen a minute or two you'll be fine......one more thing, rinse you quad real good especially around the metal areas because chlorine is very corosive and will rust you metal areas if you don't rinse it real good...Take what's left and mix it with 5 gallons of water and some more soap and you have yourself a good house wash/ deck cleaner........Good luck.:)

excelent info

Thanx

ewalker302
09-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Thanks,

I did not get to go to the pool place today, but as soon as I try it, I will let you guys know how it works.

Thanks for takin the time to help 3x440ex!!