PDA

View Full Version : Anybody bent their bars on purpose??

ewalker302
09-11-2003, 01:46 AM
I have a set of Renthal bars on my 400.

Im about 6'3. The grips seem to put lots more pressure on the outer side of my palms when riding. No huge prob just a little uncomfortable. Even when sitting still & grabbing the bars, my hands dont fit the grips right.

I was wondering if i coud bend the bars out on either end to fit my hand pos better or for a flatter grip, or would this weaken the bars???

Will loosening the bar clamp and rotating the bar up or down to adjust work or not??

Thanks
:bandit:

09-11-2003, 08:41 AM
sounds like you need a different bend bar than what you have...:ermm:

lil400exman
09-11-2003, 10:16 AM
well i think you need a higher steering stem clamp like a plus 1 cause or leaning too much on it so sounds like ya might need to shell a few hundred out!:(

coryatver
09-11-2003, 10:56 AM
It would weaken the bars big time. It would be kind of dangerous.

skemp
09-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I don't like Renthal's atv bend. They always put pressure on the outside of my palms while riding or just plain feel uncomfortable. But anyway, it does sound like you should buy some new bars, or try to get them the way you like them through adjusting them at the clamp.

Moto440
09-13-2003, 03:05 PM
They are like Harley semi-ape hangers. Should work for ya. They are more raked back.

ewalker302
09-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info.

But I sure dont want ape hangers or any other bars that are going to be bent further to the rear.

I think I am going to try bending the bars slightly just the "sweep" bend in the bars like 1 inch further forward.

My guess is they manufacture these bars out of a straight rod & bend em in a hydraulic jig anyway so I think that small bit of adjustment will be fine.

I'm almost certain that this won't weaken the bars.

Ive had lots of bikes & have rebent my bars after wrecks & seen lots of other guys do the same. & I have never seen a set of bars break, just bend.

I would think the alloys they use are engineered to bend a lot before they crack or break.

I was just wondering if anybody else had rebent their bars to suit them better, and if there were any tricks to be passed on.

Also I'll Post afterwards & let U know how I did it & if it works.

But maybe I'll crash & burn, so if you don't see another post here in the next week or so..................then don't try to bend your renthals.

:bandit:

rowlrag
09-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Try rotating them forward more. CR high bend is what I use, rotated forward.

ewalker302
09-13-2003, 05:10 PM
ok

kicken250x
09-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Try rotating them forward more. CR high bend is what I use, rotated forward.

thats what i did and it seemed to work for me. i had the same prob as you do with the outsides of my palms hurting. so i rotated them forward about 1-4in and they help me ride better now also. ;)

KASCHAK
09-13-2003, 09:39 PM
this may seem funny but i like the stock worrior bend. i bent the 400 bars then put the bars off my buddys worrior and i like this bend better the the 400 bend. what is close to this bend i wan to get either tag or renthal