PDA

View Full Version : powerbong fried my ...

knighttime
01-30-2002, 08:49 AM
PANTS

Yes my FMF powerbonb(g) header pipe has a nasty habit of burning into my pants. The stock heat shield doesn't bolt up to it. I thought of using exhaust wrap, but that will look ugly.

Has anyone ever made a heat shield? If so how, and what material, aluminum?

Are there some aftermarket heat shields to fix this problem?

01-30-2002, 10:07 AM
Are you sure the bong didn't fry your brain instead and you couldn't feel the burning pipe??:D

I've not had that problem but I also wear riding boots so that might be why,,haven't seen a shield made for them yet. My retarted hoosier friend put a gas tank up against mine and burnt a spot on the gas tank and melted plastic to mine,,luckily we didn't get blown up..:eek:

Chef
01-30-2002, 10:11 AM
James Lucky makes heat shields for it. They are polished aluminum, too. Just look in dirtwheels, they are like 29.95 I think. They make them for 300's and 400's.

MOFO
01-30-2002, 10:47 AM
I'm gonna have to side with Rico on this....are you sure your pants are the only thing getting fried? LOL :D

Live2Ride300
01-30-2002, 01:43 PM
omg, he put a gas tank up to a hot exaust pipe?? ololollo thats crazy:D

01-30-2002, 01:53 PM
Yeah he leaned it up against the header pipe right after I loaded it up from riding,,not realizing he did it and as always his head was planted firmly up his butt. SO it left a big ugly spot on my powerbong were plastic melted to it,,what a retard..

400exRacerX
01-30-2002, 02:01 PM
I took the heat sheild off of my stock pipe and I haven't burnt my pants yet. But thats because I wear boots and heat resistant riding pants. I would reccomend getting some.;)

EX_RIDER
01-30-2002, 02:19 PM
My pro-meg exhaust is the same way man. I only notice it when I were shoes. My pipe will burn holes in anything.That is why I always where boots now!!

400MXer
01-30-2002, 02:43 PM
I wore baggy riding pants for a little while, and on my exhaust side, i had to tuck the pant into my boot. Eventually i got tired of that and bought some that go inside the boot.

rhino99
01-30-2002, 03:11 PM
My 300ex FMF header did the same damn thing. It took me two pairs of jeans to remember to tuck em in!

tinner
01-30-2002, 05:41 PM
I have an idea.I don't know if it will work.If you still have the stock pipe,take the heat shield off and hold it up to the Powerbong.If the "bulge" isn't in the way and the shield will work,go to the hardware store and into the electrical aisle.They will have a style of conduit strap that will more than likely work to bolt the heatshield to the pipe.Then you will just need the nuts&bolts.Remember to measure the pipe so you know what size clamp to get.Good luck

out4sand
01-30-2002, 05:44 PM
My retarted hoosier friend put a gas tank up against mine and burnt a spot on the gas tank and melted plastic to mine,,luckily we didn't get blown up..

Hey Rico - Try a little steel wool on the melted plastic. I had a buddy melt his riding boot to mine. I have no idea how he did it but when he came back to the truck there was a huge bubbling & smoking spot of red plastic on the powerbong and a nice melt mark in the front of his boot. Another buddy who paints cars said that fine steel wool will remove the burnt plastic stain and sure enough with a little hard rubbing it disappeared.

TRX250XFIRE
01-30-2002, 11:42 PM
i all ways ride in my levis and my work boots, i have never had a problem with my pants melting, i think that u should try it

rhino99
01-31-2002, 12:02 AM
Thats what I was in when I burned mine! But they were pretty baggy levi's!

TRX250XFIRE
01-31-2002, 06:58 AM
Lol. well thats understandable. thats what i all ways wear when i ride, levis, workboots, and a white t shirt. i dont know y because i all ways get plasterd with mud by the time i get out of my drive way with my maier plastic. u know what, i just thought of a pretty good idea for a heat shield. take some J B weld, some fishing string and a pair of cleats. then kinda be creative. thats what i all ways use for things that i need fixed. dont matter if its a poped tire or brokin axle, some J B weld and fishing string will fix her up.