PDA

View Full Version : Sooo what do you guys think of it?

Narly R
09-10-2003, 09:53 PM
I know prolly thousands of people will ask this but I dunno about the looks, but MOST DEFENTLY AWSOME!:eek2: I was hopein it would have differnt shocks! So you guys like?:confused:

2qk4u
09-10-2003, 09:55 PM
i think it looks really good. just curiuos on the specs and price

OregonYFZ
09-10-2003, 10:49 PM
It has no aluminum frame, no DOHC, no five titanium valves, and you need a $299 kit to do what you can do to the YFZ by removing the air box lid and pea shooter. God I am happy I did not wait only to find the best Honda can come up with is a revamped 400EX. Honda should be ashamed for turning another Honda fan into a YFZ owner. :( :( :(

BigThumper33
09-10-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm disappointed in that there is no aluminum frame, just sub frame. It is just a ex frame with a crf stuck inside...

I'm not disappointed in that it is sohc and 4 valve. What does it matter that its not dohc and 5 vavle? Kevin Windham obviously hasn't been needing it...

Woody_YFZ
09-10-2003, 11:18 PM
I think it looks pretty good. It's different and I like that. I'm sure it will weigh a little less than the YFZ with it only having a kick start. The CRF motor is an excellent motor, so I'm sure the thing will have plenty of power. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was that the front shocks are only single rate springs. Anybody know the cost yet?? For people to say that everyone will be trading in the YFZ's is a little far fetched, that's like saying that everyone would trade in their 400EX's when the new Z400 came out, it's just not realistic. I'm glad to see Honda have it out finally, it's been a long wait. I'm looking forward to seeing them out on the tracks and now the Honda guys have their ride. Can't we all just get along???

XANDADA
09-11-2003, 07:33 AM
No way it'll replace the R in my garage, but might sit next to it someday. I wouldn't even get rid of a built 440ex for that thing. Very dissappointed in it but I'm sure it will still be a good solid quad just like the 400ex.

XANDADA
09-11-2003, 07:38 AM
I dunno much about 4strks but aren't you guys a little dissappointed in the 5speed & no 6? I don't get in 6th too often but when I do it is aweful fun passin all you guys:blah:

I do like the kik starter tho, bout time.

YZROOSTINYA
09-11-2003, 07:58 AM
for a 6pd you need the power to pull it and it aint gonn have it:rolleyes:

k2-dawg
09-11-2003, 08:00 AM
MSRP $6,499

Specs: /powersports.honda.com/preview/prevTRX450R.html (http://powersports.honda.com/preview/prevTRX450R.html)

mx73vet
09-11-2003, 08:23 AM
I think I'll keep my EX till next spring and then I'll dump my money into the YFZ. The TRX just looks like an EX with a CRF motor in it.
I hope I change my mind once I ride one.

trueblue450
09-11-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
for a 6pd you need the power to pull it and it aint gonn have it:rolleyes:

blaster has 6gears...... :eek:

lil400exman
09-11-2003, 08:58 AM
dont we have to ride it first to see hopw it compares before dumping the money into the yfz? and how can they make frame better than making it aluminum cause the 400ex/250r geometry is the best you can buy so why change a good thing?:confused:

zzbudzz
09-11-2003, 09:14 AM
damn, that thing looks like a 400ex .....but the more i look at it the more i think i like it .

MSL
09-11-2003, 09:23 AM
I like the way it looks. Why is everyone freaking out about the looks of it. The YFZ doesnt make you jaw drop because it looks so good I think its kind of plain looking but it has been proven to be a good race quad and we will have to waite and see how the Honda does.

XANDADA
09-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by MSL
I like the way it looks. Why is everyone freaking out about the looks of it. The YFZ doesnt make you jaw drop because it looks so good I think its kind of plain looking but it has been proven to be a good race quad and we will have to waite and see how the Honda does.

throw out the lights and stick a "quad tech style hood scoop on it & I think it would look great;)

400ex45
09-11-2003, 09:37 AM
i was hoping to just love this new quad but know that i see it there isnt much difference between the ex and the 450 i guess i will wait to see what is will do against the yfz. but i know i will be getting one of those sometime.

RiPPiNiTuP7
09-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
throw out the lights and stick a "quad tech style hood scoop on it & I think it would look great;)

that will be every trx owners first mod, lmfao:devil:

Pappy
09-11-2003, 09:39 AM
i like it more and more everytime i see it:cool:

Wheelie
09-11-2003, 09:40 AM
I think it looks sweet......:macho

Although I am a bit dissapointed in the wheel travel numbers.

4TraxRider
09-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Personally I love it. It looks better every time I see it. And also, don't bash the power of it until you actually ride a CR450F dirtbike. It will walk from any bike and is side by side with the YZF. Unless they detuned it to death, it'll have more than enough for everybody. Now that honda has something that will be head to head with the YFZ, nobody likes it. Nobody is mad at Yamaha for not going aluminum, why Honda? It's got rezzies, full adj suspension, low seat height. Somebody see what it has, not what it lacks JMO. Im getting one for next years race season, and not have to worry about tranny problems. Just winning. I'm not bashing anybody or any brands, but I think this isn't just an updated 400ex, this is a different machine. Read some dirtbike mags and see how the CRF engine does.

ATC83
09-11-2003, 09:50 AM
I don't know why everybody is upset about the single overhead cam design (Unicam). Honda spent millions of dolars developing the single came 450 motor. They did it for one reason, weight. The biggest problem with 4-stroke motors is that they are heavy compared to 2-strokes Thats always been the problem with the Yamaha 4-strokes from the inception of the YZ400F. We should all be happy that is has a single cam, less weight means more power.

4TraxRider
09-11-2003, 10:09 AM
And less expensive when you change cams.

Mr_Bub400ex
09-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i like it more and more everytime i see it:cool:

:macho

seatec
09-11-2003, 10:10 AM
one cam also means less rotational mass which should help a little when jumping and letting off.

ATC83
09-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
And less expensive when you change cams.

I don't think anyone will be changing cams on this engine. The technology that Honda has put into this engine is so advanced that the aftermarket companies can't compete. It's just to dificult for the aftermarket companies to develope superior engine componets. They just don't have the technological resources. There's really no reason to do anything to the engine. If you've ever rode a YZ450F or CRF450 motocross bike you would know these bikes rip right out of the crate. Basically you just go from the dealer right to the starting gate.

Castor-426ex
09-11-2003, 10:41 AM
look guys....this quad is going to be a contender and there isnt any doubt in my mind its gonna be #1 several times for now and to come

Honda did what we have always wanted them to...to build a competitive quad with the racer in mind...and they came through in my view....

and all this yami vs honda crap

please

although ive never owned a yamaha that wasnt a pos

they really did the deed on the 450

but yamaha reliability has always been an issue....and dont even argue that because how many raptor tranny problems did they have?

as honda said they built this quad to finish moto after moto gncc after gncc and they want dependability as an equal with high performance....I think the trx450r will pprove to be the quad that the majority of us have wanted honda to step up and build

people are going to do what they do....and i bet the crf powerplant in the trx will be an aftermarket superstore after everyone is done with it

12gofast
09-11-2003, 10:44 AM
You guys wont be disappointed when you actually see it in person....it feels nice and small when you sit on it....feels like a race quad.....very well built useing the same geometry as the R and EX.....why reinvent the wheel? the R and EX set the standard with there frames.

Honda was smart in building something that everyone can use from the trail rider to a racer....and it will be easy for the aftermarket companies to get parts ready for it.

goin2shock
09-11-2003, 03:14 PM
like my paint skills?

a 400EX front end under a 450R

I like the 450R's aggresiveness
owns conservative 400EX!
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/332000-332999/332086_30.jpg

the lights and shocks tires and bumber look similar! thats bout it i think

joeroadking
09-11-2003, 04:01 PM
hate to be the bad guy but ,
I can tell you one thing It looks like my 250 r is not going into retiterment it looks like every other quad suzi,artic cat,rap, kawi. I guess I expected too much waiting nearly 15 years!!!! for them to make a serouis competetive quad again I expected to see 15 years of develpoment not just a 400 with red suzuki style plastic and ugly headlight and a cr 450 motor, /no alum/no electric start/ injection etc not flaming just plain disappointed, don't get me wrong I will buy one when the hype is over, my blood is red too/ and men do not change gods . but I wish they did a little more, it is all good for the sport anyways it pushes the bar a little higher , and we can all thank cannondale for starting that! I can remember when hondas sport quad was the 250x we have come along way if you look at like that. but for now any way I will be keeping the $7k in the bank. I feel as though more than a few of us feel the same am I wrong ?:cool:

Duncanracer
09-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by joeroadking
hate to be the bad guy but ,
I can tell you one thing It looks like my 250 r is not going into retiterment it looks like every other quad suzi,artic cat,rap, kawi. I guess I expected too much waiting nearly 15 years!!!! for them to make a serouis competetive quad again I expected to see 15 years of develpoment not just a 400 with red suzuki style plastic and ugly headlight and a cr 450 motor, /no alum/no electric start/ injection etc not flaming just plain disappointed, don't get me wrong I will buy one when the hype is over, my blood is red too/ and men do not change gods . but I wish they did a little more, it is all good for the sport anyways it pushes the bar a little higher , and we can all thank cannondale for starting that! I can remember when hondas sport quad was the 250x we have come along way if you look at like that. but for now any way I will be keeping the $7k in the bank. I feel as though more than a few of us feel the same am I wrong ?:cool:

I think the motor is the high point of that 15 years of development, cause they already struck gold with the 250r geometry...but yeah it isnt a super great racer, but honda has to think about everyone else, just not the racer...i think it'll be o/a good in everything, whereas the yamaha may only excel in certain things....

SnotMe80
09-11-2003, 04:23 PM
i think i am leaning towards a z400 because of the reverse thing-if not i will just buy someones used 400ex.

joeroadking
09-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Duncanracer
I think the motor is the high point of that 15 years of development, cause they already struck gold with the 250r geometry...but yeah it isnt a super great racer, but honda has to think about everyone else, just not the racer...i think it'll be o/a good in everything, whereas the yamaha may only excel in certain things.... yes.... I guess you have point the 250r geometry was spot on and the motor is the high point, and I hate to admit it but the plastic is starting to grow on me slowly the hood has to go in the trash though. it was built up for so long I do not think any bike could have lived up to the expectations! but they did sort of miss the mark in a few areas:rolleyes:

Duncanracer
09-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by joeroadking
yes.... I guess you have point the 250r geometry was spot on and the motor is the high point, and I hate to admit it but the plastic is starting to grow on me slowly the hood has to go in the trash though. it was built up for so long I do not think any bike could have lived up to the expectations! but they did sort of miss the mark in a few areas:rolleyes:

the plastic on the 450 will never grow on me lool....i'll be finding a way to mount my fullbore on it one way or another lol....
but every quad misses the mark in some way....

300EXrider02
09-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by ATC83
I don't think anyone will be changing cams on this engine. The technology that Honda has put into this engine is so advanced that the aftermarket companies can't compete. It's just to dificult for the aftermarket companies to develope superior engine componets. They just don't have the technological resources. There's really no reason to do anything to the engine. If you've ever rode a YZ450F or CRF450 motocross bike you would know these bikes rip right out of the crate. Basically you just go from the dealer right to the starting gate.

I completely agree with you, people are dissing this quad just becasue it isnt DOHC and does have 5 valves, it doesnt matter, wait to you see it perform, I am sure honda didnt wait 5 years to make a crappy quad, and people who diss the quad ahve no knowledge of bikes, the crf450 is the bike of the year and will continue to hold that title, it is the most amzing bike

although I look kinda of queezy when I hear they didnt put an aluminum frame in there, but they put on in every damn race bike they make, what got into them...i do not know

joeroadking
09-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
I completely agree with you, people are dissing this quad just becasue it isnt DOHC and does have 5 valves, it doesnt matter, wait to you see it perform, I am sure honda didnt wait 5 years to make a crappy quad, and people who diss the quad ahve no knowledge of bikes, the crf450 is the bike of the year and will continue to hold that title, it is the most amzing bike

although I look kinda of queezy when I hear they didnt put an aluminum frame in there, but they put on in every damn race bike they make, what got into them...i do not know

I think you guys areway off I think the upgrade from honda for $299.00 includes a cam . correct me if I am wrong but it was posted somewhere .

Pappy
09-11-2003, 04:58 PM
fugggg it:bandit:

wait till fullbore and quadtech get ahold of that mofo:macho .....and me:devil:

DEAL
09-11-2003, 05:36 PM
It looks like a decent quad but in someways I am disapointed.

I wish they had have used the regular redial tires and not those friggin dunlop radials.
I would have liked to see an electric starter. And they did use alot of parts from the honda 400ex , which is not a bad thing but I thought honda might have designed more new parts on this quad rather than borrowing them.

400EXManiac
09-11-2003, 06:04 PM
I'm curious what the timeline was for research, design, and production of the Yamaha vs. the Honda. If the Honda started the design phase first, but Yamaha was first to market, this could explain why the Honda matches the Yamaha pretty closely vs. blowing the specs away.

Anyone know about the above?

Personally, I like the new 450R, especially the deeper red color of the plastics. Specs also look fairly competitive. Honda did a good job on this one.

Check out our first look page for coverage of the Honda TRX 450R.

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/offroad/reviews/atvs/honda_trx450r.html

Jeremy Henricks
Founder and CEO, The Outdoor Lodge